I almost attacked a coworker eating wheat thins :)

Kerith

Night shift nurse (for two weeks) + Whole 30 = AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

And for the record, I don't even like Wheat Thins.... And frankly, what the heck are "Wheat Thins" anyway?!

I'm at the stage where I'm skeptical about whether I will ever stop lusting for sugar.  I want a chocolate covered almond almost more than I want my paycheck.  Yikes!  Any post-Whole30'ers that were sugar mongers and have any comments on this topic?

Oh no! I get the cravings, but if I wait they usually go away. I would check out http://nomnompaleo.com/ because she talks about doing Whole30 while working the night shift. Also when people are tired, they tend to crave snacks more. 

I would also make sure you eat big enough meals, with some mini-meals to take with you in case your work gets too hectic to stop and eat. I like to take some devilled eggs, baba ghanoush, guacamole and veggies and maybe some emergency protein to fill me up when I am working too many hours. 

Hang in there! This too will pass.

Thanks for that! :)

I've been using Nom Nom Paleo for my meals, but honestly I think I'm not over the fact that the food doesn't *taste* as good to me as the other crap did.  I almost vomited on meal three of the spicy tuna cakes, even though I loved them for the first two meals!  I'm sure part of that is night shift though.

Currently on Day 5.... Hoping I can pull through!!  There's a gigantic tray of cookies here tonight and I literally could smell them the moment I walked onto our unit.  Crazy!!!

I am dreading going back to work. I am a teacher and the bad snack foods are practically shoved in our faces. I am one of those people that can't walk by a plate of cookies without grabbing a couple. I am praying that my sugar dragon will be sleeping hard enough to ignore the temptations. I have been craving chocolate so bad I feel like my eyes might bug out!

We can do this!

I hear ya! Patients always bring in sugary treats as thank you's to all the nurses.  There was a gigantic plate of them and I wanted to sit on the floor with the plate and eat them all!  Instead I leaned over them, took a great big sniff of all the sugary goodness and then said "nope. not gonna do it." and was able to walk away.   Ahhhhhh!

Oh, my goodness! It's so funny you posted this - my co-worker just microwaved these panacake sausage breakfast....sandwiches? Things?

Anyway, she brought them over to show me. They looked disgusting, but the smell! It lingered for about 45 minutes, delicious syrupy pancake aroma. I wanted to commit a murder.

I totally admire your resolve. To walk right over and stick your head in the lion's (cookie) den like that, and just waltz away like it ain't no thang? You go, girl. :)

Hahaha! I figured I might as well go inspect them... really rest out my Whole30 Restraint!  That day it worked, yesterday however, I probably would've dove right in!  Thank god I locked myself away at home!! :)

I work in a hospital setting as well-not at night, but can attest to the wealth of sugary things always around! Horrible to the will power! And we are coming up on holiday stuff in a few months.  I actually have been OK around work but it takes so much time-I have been 99% compliant since April and it just become habit. I never thought I would crave fruit over the muffin/candy/biscuits/brownies etc but it has happened. Took many months, but it happened. My body is super slow to respond to change(thanks menopause) but I am there now.

last night a stranger walked by me drinking a delicious looking frothy starbucks concoction (with whipped cream  :wub: ) and i had the sudden urge to snatch it from her hand and run. i resisted that temptation, haha!

i have a gigantic sweet tooth and i've found over the past few days that brushing my teeth right after a meal REALLY helps. i mean, i had always read about that in magazines but never really believed it. but i bought a travel tooth brush with a case and a tiny tube of toothpaste so i can brush at work and it's worked perfectly!

Kerith, I'm a newbie nurse, usually days so far, and on my very first day of my Whole30, there was a huge, delicious looking chocolate cake in the break room!  ARGH!  

And one of my dear patients gave me a cookie from Not Your Sugar Mommas...I took it, but wrapped it up and stuck it in the freezer!  Cookies are my weakness!!!  

I switched to nursing from teaching, and it was the same temptations there...always treats in the staff room.  So far so good, but it is so much harder on the night shift!  On day shift, if I have to, I know I can go down to the cafeteria and get something compliant from the salad bar.  No other options on night shift (well, other than the vending machines, and they aren't an option!).  

Good for you being so strong!

Molly ~  Haha! Good job, way to resist!!!  And I agree with the teeth brushing.... Pretty ridiculous that I enjoy the sweet minty taste of toothpaste.  :)  That's my "treat"! 

Topaz ~ How's it coming along?  You should be on day 3 now, right?  You'll do awesome, keep your head in the game.  There is always so much crap food in the break room...  I did stare down a bag of double stuffed oreos at the grocery store today, but then said, nah... not worth it.  So good for you on staying away from the cookie!  You can do this!!

Kerith, I started Aug 12, so I'm almost halfway!!!  One day with a bad headache, but other than that, the biggest thing I'm struggling with is just fatigue.  I'll have bouts of 'tiger blood', but it doesn't last...at least not yet.  Just finished another cookup in preparation of my 3 days today...every Monday our manager buys us 'treats'...so at least I'm ready and prepared!!!  ;)

Ahhh!  I read your message wrong, I apologize.  :)  We must have started the same, tomorrow is day 14 for me.  And yes... Agreed on the tiger blood, although I think part of the waxing and waning is that I worked nights for these first two weeks.  I'm back on days now so hopefully the boundless energy will be a little longer lasting.  :)  Good luck tomorrow!! Stay away from them sweets!

Well, I got floated to another unit yesterday, so I wasn't tempted by the beautiful giant loaf of banana bread (haha...NOT).  I did notice when I went back to our break room to eat my lunch, that the banana bread was completely gone.  Whew.  My coworkers saved me from myself!  

It is getting easier to say no to the sweets, and for me that is HUGE.  My sleep isn't consistent, so I bet if I dialed that in, my waxing and waning would even out too.  

Way to go!  I love it when my coworkers take care of it for me.... Even though it's awful to say.  I was standing at my car dealership getting rung up for my oil change and I stood right next to a dish of M&M's and snickers and what not... I just looked at them like "hey, what's up? nope, no thanks, don't need you!"  - Was crazy!

My sleep has been poo lately as well, hoping tonight I will be able to give it a good go around!  Good luck, m'dear!!

Archived