Using a propane grill....(paranoia and fave things to grill?)

britchanel

This may be a dumb question, but here goes...

My husband and I received a propane grill as a present from his parents. He's going to join me on a Whole30 soon and I think this will def help us as we both love grilled foods. Neither of us have ever used one and it scares me! I'm so excited at the prospect of grilling meats and veggies. He turned it on tonight and immediately I freaked out; I could smell a gas smell and everything I've read said that if you smell gas, turn it off immediately. However, the articles I've read about safety also say propane smells foul, like rotten eggs or a dead animal, and that's def not the smell I smelled. The smell I smelled reminds me of camping, or buffets (those serving trays?).

Are we good? Haha, he thinks I'm crazy, I just don't wanna blow up anything :)

Also, favorite things to grill? I've seen romaine lettuce on some blogs, but not so sure...hmmm....

Thanks! (and feel free to laugh at my paranoia!) 

Oh my. If you own a gas grill, you will smell gas because before you light it, the gas is flowing. Now I sound all cocky, but in reality, I flinch every time I light my grill. You should see me around a pressure cooker. :D

Just make sure you use the propane grill outside only. We just got back from camping and we had a miniature propane grill with us (no campfires due to the fire restrictions). I loved it! I love to grill:

tri-tip beef roast

hot dogs (applegate farms)

kebabs

chicken thighs or breasts (well fed)

eggplant (brushed with garlic and olive oil)

asparagus

use aluminum foil to make a little packet of thinly sliced onions with olive oil or coconut oil

Shrimp or salmon

hamburgers

fruit like peaches or pineapple

I like to make a mixture of ghee or olive oil and garlic to brush veggies with.

Once it is lit, you shouldn't have that smell. I would check for leaks with a soapy water mixture.

I love my gas grill. As stated above, be sure to use it outside. The bottle of gas under the grill should always be turned off when not using.

Season the grill with olive oil spray. I use olive oil spray.

When you want to use it turn on the gas bottle. Wait a minute or two. Then light the burners on high and close the lid. Let it heat up for 10 minutes.

I like to do a family pack of boneless chicken thighs. (I live alone, but always cook for tomorrow and then some.) turn burners to med-high.

Salt and pepper the thighs. Put them shiny side down on the grill and close the lid. Cook for 4 minutes. Turn over and cook for 4 minutes. And they are done to perfection to use in any recipe you want.

Archived