Ready for Round 2 in September

Emily_Boston

I finished my first Whole30 in early March of this year and felt amazing. Not just physically, but emotionally, too - I was convinced that I couldn't do it, and was feeling discouraged about my health and diet when a friend suggested I try Whole30. It seemed impossible, but knowing that someone I knew had done it made me a little more confident. I think the major success factor for me was preparation - I did a major grocery run the day before I started and stocked up on things I'd need; I also bought Melissa Joulwan's "Well Fed," which was a lifesaver after I started getting bored with the basics (steamed veggies and protein). Once I got more creative I found the Whole30 to be much easier to follow - and enjoy. 

The biggest discovery for me was that I am allergic to dairy. After years of dealing with intense acid reflux and IBS, I assumed I was in for a lifetime of stomach discomfort. Once I cut out dairy (which I was consuming three meals a day), the difference was immediate: no more stomach cramping and bloating, no more anxiety over whether or not what I had just eaten was going to lead to a desperate run to the bathroom. I occasionally have a day where I'm dealing with some mild acid reflux (maybe once or twice a month), but I am no longer taking daily medication to deal with my symptoms. 

I am amazed at how my body has changed after Whole30 - I lost weight in places I've never lost weight before - my hips, thighs, and bottom. My stomach deflated during my first week of Whole30 - which I attribute to both the drop in dairy intake and the elimination of gluten. Even though I've added a few things back into my diet, I've been sticking to the protein and veg at every meal ethos of Whole30. Seeing these changes in my body has made it fairly easy to stick with many of the lessons I learned from Whole30 - if I have a bad day (or week), I know what I need to do to get my eating back in line, and I know I will see results if I stick with it.

My one problem...the sugar dragon roared back to life as I started slowly adding sugar back into my diet. I'm 100% under the dragon's spell again, which is part of the reason I've decided to do another Whole30 in September. I've also been a bit lazy - adding bread to meals when I'm too lazy to cook up extra veggies, grabbing a sandwich instead of preparing lunch ahead of time. I'm looking forward to reinforcing my first Whole30 lessons with round 2 - especially since I have a group of friends to go through it with me this time. I'm excited to see what is easier this time, and what's different. I know that fighting sugar cravings was immensely difficult - I felt hungry all the time, even after eating a huge meal ("how can I be hungry?! I just ate a steak dinner!"). I'm hoping to taper my sugar intake leading up to September to minimize the worst of the cravings...

Wish me luck!

Best of luck! I will be starting my 2nd on 9/1. My first was very successful. I am off roading a bit now, we are going way this week and while I will try to stick to the template, I will be having wine and other non-compliant stuff.

Like you I suffered from IBS/Crohn's for a long time. For me, it was gluten/grains and FODMAPS that I eliminated prior to W30 that helped the most. I don't have huge problems with dairy, but I have decided that I prefer coconut milk in my coffee. I don't have big sugar demons, as I avoid any kind of baked goods because of my grain intolerance. In a way, it makes it easier for me. My choice is to be healthy or be sick. I've spent enough time being sick, I don't want to go back there. As delicious as some of those goodies look, they are not worth it. And no piece of bread is. I will eat a candy bar before I will eat bread.

Did you try adding HCL and Digestive Enzymes? They helped me a lot with GERD. I no longer have any symptoms of that and congrats on getting off the acid meds. I know how hard that is, but they are NOT good for you.

I ended my first Whole 30 back in April.  Looking back I knew I needed to do a Whole 45 or Whole 60 to really slay that sugar dragon.  However, I was going out of town for a couple of days and would be eating at restaurants during that time.  So I finished my 30 days strong and went downhill from there.  Being home with my kids this summer I got extremely lazy.  I didn't go to the gym for two months and ate whatever I chose.  I'm now back to being tired, sluggish, I can't concentrate (I seem to always forget what I am talking about), I am always wanting some processed sugary treat and I can't get a good nights sleep for anything.

So September 1 is the start of my next Whole30/45/60, whichever it may be. I have a friend doing it with me and it will be her first time.

Here's to a successful second Whole 30 and slaying that sugar dragons ugly head!! :)

Archived