How to cope post-binge?

Hello Whole 30ers!

Yesterday evening I had a binge on almond butter. Of course, this was not my intent, but I did it anyway. The jar was finished, my belly was distended and I felt uncomfortable all night (and into this morning).

Naturally, if I could back and undo it I would but I can't. So, any advice to relieve my discomfort and reach a happy Whole 30 equilibrium?

I haven't eaten yet today, and I was wondering about taking an impromptu intermittent fast. I have been fairly low-carb this time around on the Whole 30 (no starchy veg, only occasional fruit), but I don't know if I am "fat-adapted" or anything. Do you think it's a good idea to forego the first meal or two today in order to reset? Or will this tactic promote a disordered "binge-and-fast" mindset?

FWIW, I've been playing around with a low-carb approach because I want to lose a couple of more inches around my hips. I'm fully aware that jars of almond butter will not help in this goal!!

Thanks in advance!

IMO fasting isn't the answer. It does possibly set you up for binge/fast, and if you binged because you were too hungry when you dived into the almond butter, it sets you up for more of the same.

IMO the best would be to focus on getting a really good set of 3 clean meals, with the hunk of meat/fish/eggs, good fat and heaps of green veg.

IFing is not ideal for women. As far as I know it isn't W30 either.

I would say if you are hungry, then eat. If you do not feel hungry, then wait until you do. But I would not intentionally fast because of the binge. I am currently overcoming binge eating, and any time I would try to fast in order to undo the damage I did during a binge, it just felt like I was punishing myself and it would end up backfiring on me (ie, my binge would end up lasting 2-3 days instead of just the one day). So you ate a bunch of almond butter....it's not the worst thing in the world. Forgive yourself and move forward today eating clean, healthy and balanced meals. And of course, if you are hungry, then eat. :)

I struggle with this constantly. A binge can really set me off course for days, both physically and mentally. I don't think fasting is a good idea- it sets you up for bingeing later on, sometimes because you feel like you were "good" and "deserve it" now, but other times because you are just so hungry after that you can't avoid it.

For me, step one is acknowledging the binge and forgiving yourself. Step two is making a plan for how to avoid it in the future. Step 2 for me was realizing that I can't have almond butter in the house- I recently ate half a jar in one sitting myself! Once you make a decision as to how you'll be better prepared in the future, you may find yourself more confident, empowered, and motivated to stay the course with your positive changes.

Also, perspective helps. Step 1 for me was reminding myself that yes, although almond butter is caloric, it's still almond butter- not oreos, not cheesecake, not seven bags of chips. That should make forgiving yourself a little easier.

I hope this helps!

Archived