How to not feel like I'm counting down to the end

If you're struggling to think that far ahead, take one day at a time! try not to think about things you're "missing out" on (here's a tip - you're not!), but instead think about all the positive things you're doing because you're on a whole 30

I had no issue with 30 days....i'm on day 41! I suppose it depends where you came from - I already ate healthily, didn't eat emotionally, didn't eat lots of processed food and the non compliant food I did eat was easy to replace.

I play in the kitchen :) My problems aren't hunger or craving sweets, but getting bored with the same old ingredients. This week I made apricot chutney and am trying turnips for the first time.

I think this might be where my fears lie. That I'll get bored with it bc I'm not sure what else to have for breakfast etc (this ones real bc I don't like the idea of having non breakfast foods for breakfast). I want to get creative but also need to figure out how to do this without going broke or spending hours cooking.

I'm on day 5 as well and it was the first day I really had to make some conscious effort to not go off track. I also can't help wondering how I'll make it through to the end. But I keep reminding myself that this is how I want to eat after the 30 days, I don't want to go back to how I was eating, sometimes that helps me through it. And just seeing that I'm 5 days in is helpful as I don't want to have to start all over again!

In my experience, it takes time and experimentation to find what works for you within your budget and preferences.

I do all of my grocery shopping for the week on one day and spend the rest of the week trying different combinations of veggies, meats and fats. Ones I really like that are not expensive are put into regular rotation. For example, breakfast hash with ground beef, ghee, and whatever veggie is available, with an egg on top. You can get whatever veg is on sale that week and just change up the spices.

Sometimes I'll try a new veggie - usually by roasting it in the oven with olive or coconut oil and salt and pepper. This week it was turnip roasted with lemon pepper. It wasn't bad - like a cross between potato and beet.

Or I will try to find good recipes for inexpensive ingredients like carrots, cabbage, plantain... The list might be different depending on your region.

I just try to have fun :) and learn from food experiments gone bad!

When I have felt like jumping off track I do a couple things:

- Look at myself naked, and a picture of me when I felt and looked more healthy.

- Look at my skin.... It says everything about what I've been eating!

- Think about the patients I have taken care of.  The heart attacks, the congestive heart failure that makes patients feel like they are drowning - and frankly they are, the diabetes that gets out of control and turns into heart attacks and amputations of toes then feet then legs.  It's heart breaking. 

I don't want to be there, and even though I'm not there right now because my body is still "young enough" to compensate - I will be there if I don't start paying attention.  And no amount of sugar is worth it.

Granted, I have to tell myself that every darn day!

We *CAN* do this. :)

Archived