Should I start over? And glucose test ?

This is my first time posting. I am 24 weeks pregnant and am on day seven of w30. I like to have eggs for breakfast but I can't eat them plain. I enjoy adding sausage and rotel, however, I just figured out that the sausage I've been using has less than 2% of dextrose. Should I start over? What can I add to my eggs to give it other flavors? Has anyone tried prosciutto? Or found w30 compliant sausage or bacon? I have a whole foods about 20 miles away that I can go to.

Also, has anyone done a whole 30 and had to take the glucose test? I had gestational diabetes with my first but passed the 3 hour test with this pregnancy at 9 weeks but I have to take the 3 hour again during this whole 30. Will I more than likely fail because my body isn't used to sugar except for my fruit intake?

In terms of the 3 hour test, can you ask them if you can just test your blood sugar after meals for a week or two? I know that's an option for some people. I'm currently borderline GD and they had me testing myself, and since the numbers have been coming back great they are not making me redo the 3 hour test. Thank God for that! 

Yeah I bought a little glucose monitor and recorded and monitored my intake for a week or so and my midwife was fine with that.  Doesn't it make sense to test based on what you actually eat, rather than some non-food thing?  I mean no disrespect to people who take the test.  I took it once and felt completely awful afterward (nauseous, shaky, lightheaded) and my baby was moving around like crazy, probably because she wasn't used to all of that sugar.  They wanted to test me twice because my baby was so big, but she's just a big cave baby!  No GD here.  

I bought the monitor from WalMart of all places (based on Chris Kresser's advice) - it's super cheap and works.  I tested one hour and then two hours after each meal.  

http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16

I agree kotten. I had to take the 3 hour this pregnancy, and fairly early in the pregnancy. It made me so sick I had to lay down the minute I got home and wound up sleeping for the rest of the day. Thank God my husband was off work to take care of the toddler. It was awful. I have never felt like that when eating normal food. 

I wish more women knew they could opt out of the glucola and just monitor for a week or two (depending on what their OB or midwife preferred). Even for someone who loves sweets, which I do, the glucola is the most disgusting thing ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

So glad you posted about the glucose test!! I have been eating paleo for a year with a handful of W30's in there as well.  Although I am not currently doing a W30, I primarily eat a compliant diet.  I am 32 weeks along with my second child.  I failed my 1 hour glucose test, and therefore, had to take the 3 hour.  It was HORRIBLE!  I thought I was going to pass out, throw up, etc.  Also, I had a terrible headache and stomach "issues" the rest of the day.  I did not realize there would be that much of an impact.  Although I "passed" the 3 hour test, my doc told me to "watch my carb intake".  I have been journaling my meals since so I can show him at my next appointment. 

Why would eating a low to no sugar diet cause glucose levels to be high?  I mean, I get it, but I don't :)

It means that your body isn't used to getting that much sugar at a time, so it is very sensitive to sugar. I had a friend who was doing GAPS (pretty similar to W30) during her 2nd pregnancy and had a sip of someone's iced tea at a restaurant and almost fainted (got an ambulance called and everything!) a few hours later. She was told that, if you don't eat a lot of sugar, the amount of sugar shoved into foods nowadays can cause inappropriate responses to glucose if you're pregnant.

I'd ask and see if you can try another type of test if they ask you to do it again. I mean - come on - I don't eat sugar, I limit fruit, etc. etc. Why should I take a test where I'm drinking pure sugar water to test if my body has a problem with blood sugar? Sounds like you're asking for problems to me! At least ask, some doctors will let you substitute 100% grape juice for the solution so it's at least a little less bad...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in...I was strict paleo for most of my pregnancy and had GD...sometimes it has NOTHING to do with what you're eating. GD is often times (not always, but often) caused by the hormones from the placenta making your body insulin resistant. I was pretty pissed as well when I failed both tests (my three hour by ONE point!), and it made no sense to me either...I explained my paleo lifestyle to my Dr and explained that my body NEVER has that much sugar in it, so it was prob a reaction to that, but he said sometimes the placenta just makes the mom very insulin resistant. I went to the "diabetes class" that was required of me and I was the odd woman out...the only one not eating ENOUGH carbs. I had all the "diabetes educators" stumped! I had to totally change my diet (had to add a lot of carbs!), work out after every meal, and take a small amount of meds...my son was born three weeks early and small! Not big at all. It sucked, and I hated it...but I had to learn it was not my fault...it was just my body's reaction! 

@OliviaLovely- I was just diagnosed this week. What carbs did you add to your diet? How did you totally change your diet? I had gestational diabetes with my first but my diet has totally changed since then.

Hi Megan,

I was VERY strict with myself in terms of eating...you should have seen some of the foods the other women wanted to eat. One woman still wanted her Coke before bed!! 

Anyway, as per the diabetes educators, there was a range of carbs you had to have for every meal and snack (you should have seen the face of the people when I said I didn't snack...ever...). The range went something like, breakfast was 15-30 grams of carbs, every snack was 15-30 grams, and lunch and dinner were 30-60 grams. I ended up eating 15 for breakfast, 15-25 for snacks, and 40 for dinner. That's what worked for me. I NEVER ate fruit or refined sugar...made my BS spike like crazy. I stuck with GF crackers, GF breads (or quinoa bread), Flax bread wraps, and some rice (lots of rice cakes though!). It was really confusing for me, as I had been paleo for about a year, and before that I was low-carb anyway...I found the GD message board on BabyCenter VERY helpful! 

Archived