Need Help Saying Goodbye to SUGAR: It's Transformation Time

LindaLee

Day 5 sugar-free DONE!

This morning: 30 air squats

Meal 1: beef and veggies, olives and green apple (I ran out of carrots)

Supplements: Digestive Enzymes, Lurong Living Essential

Meal 2: mustard chicken breast, salad (tomato, spinach, cucumbers, black olives, lemon juice and olive oil), zucchini fritter, green apple

Supplements: Digestive Enzymes

Oh, the day goes much better when I have some lunch!

Meal 3: salmon and zucchini fritter with Paleo mayo and pickle relish, tomatoes, frozen banana/coconut milk/cocoa powder

Supplements: Digestive Enzymes, Lurong Living Essential, Omega 3, Vitamin D3

Back and core exercises including 30 banded pushups, 4 front and 2 side planks

Will have some magnesium before I go to bed. A good night's sleep, I hope, now that my hubby is home. It's funny...I went to the grocery store tonight to get kitty litter and a few other things for our trip (we leave for Indiana tomorrow to see my family and I want to be sure I have my staples - olives, carrots, and green apples), and I wasn't at all tempted to get ice cream. I was hungry enough to think about some gluten-free cookies, but fortunately I'm very set in my ways (as you can see) and this store doesn't carry the Annie's Cocoa/Vanilla bunnies that are my favorites. So it wasn't too tempting. I almost cracked open a can of olives on the way home, but I figured I could wait fifteen minutes, LOL.

Today's verse: Exodus 15:1-2

"Then Moses and the children of Israel sang this song to the LORD, and said, "I will sing to the LORD, for he has triumphed gloriously. The horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea. The LORD is my strength and song. He has become my salvation. This is my God and I will praise him; my father's God and I will exalt him."

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this thread and am going to hop on the challenge. I am on day 8 of my whole30, but have definitely been having too much fruit, dried fruit and fruit from concentrated sources like jelly. Just like LindaLee said in her first post and Melissa talked about in the latest blog post, transformation is what it must be all about. Reprogramming yourself and becoming a new person; not being afraid of old habits because you are too persistent in your new ones to let them creep back in.

I too, was affected heavily by sugar, as well as peanut butter. I will post my meals here to keep accountable, and also as a means of breaking my late night comfort eating. Everyone on this thread has already inspired me and I congratulate you all on the success you are creating. Keep it up!

Thank you, I feel great! Sitting here with my thermos of hot water this morning and didn't even think about coffee until just now.  Amazing how a good night's sleep can help you do that. ;)

And the sugar is not pulling me either, but a friend has an end-of-summer party today. I'm going into it thinking I don't want to eat off plan, but if there is something there that looks really amazing, I may try it.  Rice krispie treats won't cut it, though.  I'll probably have a beer, but alcohol has no pull on me, so I don't worry about one drink.

Thank you, I feel great! Sitting here with my thermos of hot water this morning and didn't even think about coffee until just now.  Amazing how a good night's sleep can help you do that. ;)

And the sugar is not pulling me either, but a friend has an end-of-summer party today. I'm going into it thinking I don't want to eat off plan, but if there is something there that looks really amazing, I may try it.  Rice krispie treats won't cut it, though.  I'll probably have a beer, but alcohol has no pull on me, so I don't worry about one drink.

Go into that party strong! If you go off plan on purpose you will need to restart your Whole 30! You have solid days under your belt don't throw them away for one beer or one treat. Eat before you go and drink some soda water with lime. You can push through 1 party. It's just 30 days!

Go into that party strong! If you go off plan on purpose you will need to restart your Whole 30! You have solid days under your belt don't throw them away for one beer or one treat. Eat before you go and drink some soda water with lime. You can push through 1 party. It's just 30 days!

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm not on Whole30 at the moment and not trying to do one.  I did one a year ago and have been working ever since to get my eating on track.  I do well except for sugar. I'm trying to kick sugar for good, so my days of counting are for sugar.  I apologize if that's confusing.  If it de-motivates anyone here, I can stop posting.  I just felt like I found a little community here that could relate.  So like I said, one beer or something else off plan doesn't count for me, because it doesn't derail me like sugar does.

But that said, I think I'm set for today.  My ballet instructor brought special chocolate chip cookies in that are available only once a year at the state fair.  I didn't have one and it was easy to resist.  Even better, I'm bringing a big tray of the same cookies to the summer party (because I did last year and already said I would bring this), and I baked them up and have no urge to eat one.  So good there, too. I'm liking that I don't have this huge urge to eat a sweet.  Lots of people bring dishes to this party, so I might have some macaroni salad or something, with all the poisons that are mixed into that, but for me, it'll be a win if I keep my hands out of the cookies and dessert trays.

No, stay here, Xandra! You and I are in similar scenarios - overall my eating is excellent, except for sugar. And when I eat sugar, I eat a lot of it, and for weeks, because that's been part of my identity. I haven't wanted to be "the fat girl who can't eat sugar." Hence my goal - a huge part of this reset for me is about transforming my identity, along with my eating habits.

Sorry for the confusion Xandra. As this is technically Linda's log it's no big deal I guess but perhaps when you post days you should be specific (Day 4 of no sugar challenge for example). If it were your personal log I would recommend you take it to the post Whole 30 section. 

Hey everyone! I came across this board today and its exactly what I need! I too am on a journey to get rid of my sugar cravings and emotional eating for good. I am on Day 5 of my Whole30 and I hope that when its done I can be ready to say goodbye to sugar for good. It seems like a really overwhelming thing right now.

Sorry for the confusion Xandra. As this is technically Linda's log it's no big deal I guess but perhaps when you post days you should be specific (Day 4 of no sugar challenge for example). If it were your personal log I would recommend you take it to the post Whole 30 section. 

Sure, be happy to. I may have been thrown off initially by the first post in the log, which started off with 3 weeks of "reintroduction". I thought this was a post-W30 log already. But I will try to be more clear as to what I'm doing.

PS - check in here afterward so we can give you a virtual high five -

High five!  I did it.  I never touched a dessert. It's a big win for me because I can't remember an event for which I skipped the sweets.  My one drink had sugar in it -- a hard apple cider that I didn't realize had that much sugar until after it was opened. I would have gone with a beer.  After that I drank water. I did eat fruit, which I don't usually do. And I had some potato salad, which of course is completely off plan. Other than that, I had brats and vegetables, skipping all the bread, cheese, chips, and ice cream that show up at parties. Overall, successful, because this is how I want to bend at events like this. If I wanted to be completely compliant, I would have been eating only raw carrots, radishes, and fruit, and that's not realistic for me.

But I have one last demon, the worst one by far, to defeat: SUGAR. Sugar is not just a part of my diet, it's been a part of my identity. It's what I look forward to at the end of a long, hard day. It's how I soothe myself when my husband isn't home, entertain myself through a long car ride, reward myself 

So if there's anyone else out there who can relate to my story, who shares it, come along the journey with me. I know how critical support is, and I'll welcome anyone and everyone!

Your story resonates with me so much.

For  me, sugar is a beastly demon that I have struggled with for as long as I can remember.  Yesterday was day 12 for me of the Whole30 and my husband and I went out to eat.  My husband rarely adds sugar to anything he eats and is not a fan of too much sweets.  He drinks his green tea, herbal tea with no sweeter and I am the one putting 2 packets of Stevia into everything.  Well, no stevia for me since starting the Whole30 and surprisingly, I don't miss it.  Last night at the restaurant  I chose a grilled trout and "chilled kale salad"

Well, I took 2 bites of the salad and I guess the chef used some sugar in the citrus vinaigrette dressing.  I nearly knocked me out of my seat!  I told my husband that it was full of sugar.  He swore he could not taste it (a first because whenever I would give him a taste or sip of my tea or coffee- he would nearly choke because he said it was too sweet) He said that he could only taste the vinegar in the salad.  I gave him the rest of my salad and enjoyed the grilled salmon with some lemon juice.  I'm glad its a very do-able lifestyle.  I don't see myself rushing to reincorporate anything anytime soon.

I am glad you started this topic because I am sure that that sugar demon is just "playing possum" for now   :unsure: ....waiting for that vulnerable moment in my life to "bust out" (again) and sabotage my resolve.  I will need you guys a whole lot....I know it!!

Welcome, dpitts! I'm glad my story seems to be resonating with people. I knew I wasn't alone.

I'm in Indiana with my family so no time to write long post...will do details when we return Tuesday, but do some "post and run" along the way! Stay strong everyone...I've resisted chocolate chips and ice cream so far...but did succumb to mead which is Paleo but not Whole30 because of the honey. But my brother had done all this research so they could have compliant things for me to eat while I am here, and I couldn't bear to hurt his feelings. So I probably will restart the strict Whole30 part of my plan on Tuesday, but otherwise am just avoiding my usual temptations, so I'm happy about that.

It's hot here but I'm hoping to get in a 2 mile run later this evening, once it cools down a bit...

Welcome dpitts!  I was just thinking today there should be a Sugar Anonymous group formed somewhere.  Sugar & sweeteners are the one thing that restaurants everywhere ignore, because if they offer "low carb", they still put in the artificial sweeteners. And I have more trouble saying no to sugar than to sweeteners anyway because I have bad reactions to the fake stuff, so "low carb" is generally useless for me.

Today I ate breakfast out and tried a tiny bit of regular ketchup on hash browns. I make sugar-free ketchup and it had been a long time since I tasted the regular stuff. Could instantly taste the sugar in that so went with salt instead. I did eat the smallest bit of jam on an English muffin; I'll say no to the muffin next time.  This is a restaurant that I like and I'm learning how to order there.  They make a good omelet with veggies and salmon.  I did order black coffee and was good with that.

Welcome, dpitts! I'm glad my story seems to be resonating with people. I knew I wasn't alone.

I'm in Indiana with my family so no time to write long post...will do details when we return Tuesday, but do some "post and run" along the way! Stay strong everyone...I've resisted chocolate chips and ice cream so far...but did succumb to mead which is Paleo but not Whole30 because of the honey. But my brother had done all this research so they could have compliant things for me to eat while I am here, and I couldn't bear to hurt his feelings. So I probably will restart the strict Whole30 part of my plan on Tuesday, but otherwise am just avoiding my usual temptations, so I'm happy about that.

It's hot here but I'm hoping to get in a 2 mile run later this evening, once it cools down a bit...

Good for you, Linda, you're doing well!  Like kombucha, I'm sure the mead uses up some of the honey in the fermenting process.  I don't know how much is left, but the kombuchas with 4g sugar remaining are still compliant for W30.

Yesterday, I came home and mixed up some of the coffee with coconut milk and a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder.  Not my favorite, but it got me through.  I may do that again today. 

Yes, I was standing in the aisle the other day at Publix and reading the label of the coconut milk, trying to find now that is Whole30 compliant and have now (after 1 week of drinking my coffee black) added just a splash of coconut milk to my coffee.  One thing I am glad of is that not allowing sweetener has enabled me to decrease my daily coffee consumption to about only 2 cups - and those being a "tall" as opposed to my habitual "grande" full of cream and stevia.  Now, just a tall with a splash of coconut milk once or twice a day is seeming to be enough.  I think  (fingers crossed expectantly and hopefully   :rolleyes:  ) that my energy levels are getting better without having to have that coffee to "jump start" my brain 

I think mead would be non-compliant because it's an alcoholic beverage, not just because of the honey :P

enjoy the rest of your trip - i'm sure you're having an amazing time visiting your family even without the icecream and choc chips :)

Archived