Need Help Saying Goodbye to SUGAR: It's Transformation Time

LindaLee

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was a good day! Ate healthy, though perhaps a little too much - went to Mass, spent time with my family, and ran two miles.

So far today, I've done well too...

M1: venison and eggs, carrots, tomatoes, and olives

M2: 2 organic hot dog, zucchini fritters, with Paleo mayo and a little compliant pickle relish, fresh cherry tomatoes, and frozen banana with coconut milk and cocoa powder.

Rest of the day:

Went to Crossfit:

I was running late but came in about halfway through Everett

Skill/Strength: 1 rep max front squat. I increased my PR by over 20 pounds! Wow!

WOD:

4 rounds for time: 10 thrusters and 40 double unders (or 120 singles)

My thrusters are still only at 25 in a WOD, but until my form is really solid I won't go up in weight

Time: 8:34

Meal 3 for today:

Wild turkey shot by my husband

Veggies cooked with the bird

Frozen banana/coconut milk/cocoa

Great day!

Meal 3 for today:

Wild turkey shot by my husband

I love this! Let us know how it tastes.

I notice you do frozen bananas sometimes. Is that a sugar trigger for you?  It would be for me.  My next step would be Chunky Monkey Ben & Jerry's. :)

I love this! Let us know how it tastes.

I notice you do frozen bananas sometimes. Is that a sugar trigger for you?  It would be for me.  My next step would be Chunky Monkey Ben & Jerry's. :)

It definitely is not...in fact, precisely the opposite. With the coconut milk and cocoa powder, it's very satisfying and filling!

Ordered coffee today but kept it black and came home to make it iced. I liked it!

Also learned that my gym spikes their kale salad with Truvia. Seriously? Ugh! Another menu item off the list.

Great job on the coffee!

My response to the salad =  :huh:  :unsure:  :rolleyes:

My hubby and I made it home! The trip back was much harder than the trip out - I didn't have quite as much food prepared, and there's really absolutely nothing but fruit that's compliant when you're on the road. I overindulged in some cashews, but better that than donuts or cookies. Other than that, I think I did all right - 

M1: Venison and eggs (split with my hubby), zucchini fritters, tomatoes and olives, green apple

M2: Two organic hot dogs, green apple (had no veggies with me - can't believe I forgot to get carrots!)

M3 will be bacon and eggs with tomatoes and carrots. No olives or additional fat since I had so many cashews today - 

More later!

Enjoying your posts and scriptures.  This is my first W30....day 2 over with. I've been off wheat/grains about a year- read Wheat Belly and followed it strictly for about 6 months - then stalled out on my weight loss....messed around a bit with this or that - have read a bunch.  A couple of months ago I started looking into Paleo, Primal and PHD.  Then an acquaintance started talking about Whole 30 - this is so much more than just a temporary diet.  I don't have any issues about eating wheat/grains, but still had a struggle with dairy, gluten free junk and the mentality of it all.  Thank you for posting, please continue and I hope things round out for you.

Did well today.  Iced coffee black, and I made it myself (!). :)  Starbucks misses me.

Dinner was great: this cinnamon pot roast from Tom Denham's blog  http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2011/09/slow-cooker-cinnamon-chuck-roast-and-onions/

made with beef from a 1/4 cow my farmer friend sold me over the weekend (we saw this cow in a barn at the county fair not long ago). Then kids & I found some vegetables in our poor neglected garden that were ready to eat: green beans, peppers, chard, and cucumber.  They cleaned their plates and we all had some fresh peaches & berries. Tasted so sweet to me, that was the sugariest thing I had all day, and wow, it was loud.

Hi, terryd, welcome! The whole gluten-free stuff is still tough for me, too. It's so tempting - my latest bugaboo was Annie's Cocoa and Vanilla Bunnies. Love them...but half a box of them make me just as sick as regular cookies do! There's that and there's ice cream...those are my remaining demons.

Xandra, your meal sounds delicious. Love fresh veggies...will be some depressed when the farmer's market closes...

I have been so disoriented the last few days since we've been either on the road or out of town at my brother's. Thankfully my family is the best on the planet and put in the effort to find out about Paleo eating. Now, unfortunately, they didn't know about the Whole30, so there were things that were Paleo but not Whole30 - like the mead - that took me offtrack a bit. And today I had more cashews than I would've liked, but I figured that was better than cookies or a gas station hot dog. 

But today I got some fresh produce (not local, unfortunately, but our farmer's market only operates on Wednesday and Saturday) and plan a cooking WOD tomorrow in addition to going to the box. 

How's everyone else doing today?

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Couldn't decide when to go to Crossfit today - I have one last vacation day before I have to go back to work - but when I woke up at 7 and looked at the weather forecast, I decided it would be cooler to go at 8. So I quickly brushed my teeth, etc., etc., scrambled into my workout clothes, and headed for the box. I hadn't eaten anything, which might not have been such a good idea, but...

Anyway, today's WOD was a lot of fun. My box is having a Member Appreciation week, so we've had team WODs all week long. Today was:

Warmup: 800 meter run, followed by walking lunges front to back of box, then inchworms back to front

Skill: Practice tire flipping

WOD: 4 rounds for time: 10 tire flips total, 10 tire box jumps, 10 team deadlifts. My teammate and I had a small tractor trailer - about the equivalent of a 75 pound deadlift - but it was still challenging. And a lot of fun!

Came home and started cooking! Made some mustard chicken, beef and veggies, and Paleo mayo, and got other things ready for the rest of the week.

Finally got to have lunch: salmon cakes (from the freezer, thank goodness), zucchini fritters, with Paleo mayo and pickle relish, tomatoes, and a green apple.

Supplements: Lurong, Digestive Enzyme, 2 Omega 3s, and a D3

Hope everyone else is having a great day!

Good job, Linda!

I'm getting back into shape again after being away from the gym for a couple of months with a stress fracture. It's so hard to be starting so far back!  And I've been off sugar now for 10 days but gained 2 lbs.  Don't panic, right?  This is just a reset.  Still, I wasn't expecting to see the scale go up when I cut out the junk.  Keep on keepin' on I suppose.

Dinner: egg salad (three hard boiled eggs, pickle relish - that's what I have for my daily fermented item, LOL - mustard and mayo), carrots and tomatoes, half frozen banana with cocoa powder and coconut milk.

Supplement: digestive enzyme.

Talked to my chiro today about the supplements that were making me sick. He suggested I spread some things out, so I'm going to try that and see what happens.

Having a tough day today. I haven't caved for sugar or junk but it is not easy to say no for some reason.  Like I would kill for an English muffin with butter and marmalade right now.  Off to heat up some bone broth...

Today was really hard - wanted to kill or maim something---grrr....I can't figure it....I'm Day 4 -- was tired....really a hard day, but after meal 3 I felt much better.  I was in bed an hour ago and my mind would shut off so I got up.   Will try it again in a few.  Sorry Xandra that you had it so rough - I had some cravings trying not to snack in between - - so I grabbed a handful of macadamias and munched slowly.  That helped.  Can't wait to get beyond this!  Hope things are better for all of us Friday!

I did cave. I knew I was going to order that small latte and I did it. I think hormones and a migraine played some parts in this. Like an addict, I paid cash for my purchase (what, like someone is going to track down my credit card usage for coffee?! but it felt exactly like that, like I needed to hide). I kept the damage minimal and I monitored to see if it felt awful.  Unfortunately, I didn't feel awful afterward, it was like I did exactly what I needed to do.  I know there will be withdrawal consequences as I start over tomorrow, but everything else still feels pretty on track. Back at it tomorrow.

I did cave. I knew I was going to order that small latte and I did it. I think hormones and a migraine played some parts in this. Like an addict, I paid cash for my purchase (what, like someone is going to track down my credit card usage for coffee?! but it felt exactly like that, like I needed to hide). I kept the damage minimal and I monitored to see if it felt awful.  Unfortunately, I didn't feel awful afterward, it was like I did exactly what I needed to do.  I know there will be withdrawal consequences as I start over tomorrow, but everything else still feels pretty on track. Back at it tomorrow.

I understand completely.  Its a life-long marathon, not a sprint for sure.  You've got the right mindset "back at it tomorrow"

(Yes, I , too, think its less "incriminating" to purchase with cash....sometimes, back in my "Haagen Das days" - I would even go to a grocery store out of my neighborhood for fear of being "recognized" and "outed"....LOL  ;)

I understand so well, Xandra and Lindalee --- I just finished cleaning up my stash trash -- you know the" healthy things" we could snack on before W30-- I felt so bad looking at what all I had eaten in a couple of weeks.  We also have a walk-in pantry, I have asked my daughter not to buy any snacks for me for the next month.  She grocery shops for main items and always is looking for gluten free goodies for mom and the kids -- some times I oblige and nibble sometimes I don't - Since day 1 these things haven't bothered me. And Xandra - my favorite go to before going wheat/grain free was anything --- caramel lattes, steak and shake, burgers w/buns and fries.......after about 6 months my head cleared of most of it.  Now that I've read up on dairy, I'm not too enthused about what someone is putting in my coffee.......as Lindalee said this is a life long deal.  I just have to figure out my triggers.  Some days I long for - the old " AH I had a burger and fries for lunch - what are you having?"  Simply because I get tired of trying to figure out my meals.  I know it will get better, but when one has been "trained" for a lifetime of poor eating that you think are "healthy" one way or another.....such as "Healthy Whole Grains".  I understand a lot of people believe in that.........and that's fine.  I'm just off the grain bin.  At some point I would like to get Dr. David Permutter's new book - Grain Brain.  Dr. William Davis' book - Wheat Belly is why I finally started really looking into my health and how eating affected it.  Sorry to ramble - hope everyone is ok and having a great day.

Archived