Need Help Saying Goodbye to SUGAR: It's Transformation Time

LindaLee

Today is better.  Black coffee was easy this morning and I had a large veggie omelet for breakfast.  Went to the gym and now back for lunch.  Scale said I'm up another pound (I know, I weigh at the gym) but I'm feeling leaner so going to keep working this. I'm sure the weight gain is related to hormones (I'm premenopausal). Thanks for all your support. I know you all know what a struggle this is, and it helps.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, all...sorry I have been AWOL for so many days. I've been off the wagon for the last week, and have really suffered for it, without a doubt.

I'm kind of freaking out right now too, even though my doctor isn't worried. I had my cholesterol tested, among other things, over a month ago. I hadn't heard anything, so I assumed all was okay, but when I went in today to check on something else, I asked to see the results.

Now my doctor is awesome. She doesn't subscribe to the traditional point of view regarding cholesterol and so forth, and is very pro-Paleo. As I said, she said she's not concerned about my results. However, I can't help worrying! My total cholesterol from a year ago went UP, from 243 to 316! YIKES!!!! And a big part of that is my LDL, which is high at 200 (calculated).

HOWEVER, and this is why my doctor said she wasn't worried...my HDL went up from 74 to 106. She said this was one of the highest HDL levels she had ever seen and attributed it to my diet and exercise. And my triglycerides also went down 10 points, from 62 to 52. My total cholesterol to HDL ratio also is excellent - 3.0. Nonetheless, I'm a little bit scared.

I am convinced that the high LDL is related to my sugar intake. Even if I only indulge 50% of the time, the amount I consume is out of control at those times. Now I have to, have to, have to STOP. 

I am getting ready to embark on the Lurong Living Paleo Challenge, which is very strict with regard to sugar (i.e., none is allowed - it's like a 9 week Whole30 with a few things allowed that the Whole30 doesn't). Last year I fell apart about 2/3rds of the way through. This time, I have got to make it. I have got to kick this sugar thing once and for all. 

Like I said, my doctor said she wasn't worried and doesn't want to put me on any medicines. I asked if I could work on really reducing my sugar intake and come back in six months to check it out, and she agreed, though again she said she wasn't worried.

So that's the plan. My goals are:

1.   Make it through the whole Lurong - that's from September 16th through November 18th - without a cheat.

2.   Make it through the holidays by really, seriously limiting my sugar intake. This will be very easy on some levels - for example, I rarely if ever eat conventional baked goods since I've been gluten free for so long. My goal will be to only have gluten free, home baked goods and to limit myself to ONE cookie, or ONE piece of cake or pie. That will be such a victory for me, in and of itself. No candy at Christmas, none of that.

3.   Increase my other carb intakes. This probably will mean adding more sweet potatoes and other dense starchy carbs. Usually around day 10 of a Whole30, I am exhausted, and I'm convinced it's because my carb intake is inadequate for my level of exercise. Since this won't be a Whole30, I can supplement with juices and protein powders (which are allowed in the Lurong if they are post-workout and not meal replacements). 

I think I'm going to see if I can get this log switched to the post-Whole30 since it's kind of misleading.

Please, though, come along - I am going to need support if I'm going to make it until March 2014.

Thank you!

Hi Linda,

I'm struggling, too. I am 10 lbs over where I am when I'm healthy. I feel awful, mostly because of sugar. I need to kick this. I'm starting tomorrow and it's going to be bad. I'm quitting coffee, too. It's a gateway drug for me. The only way I did a W30 successfully last year was quitting coffee at the same time. So I have to do that again. As Diana Nyad said when she jumped into the water in Havana, "Courage!"

Linda,

How great that you found a doctor who isn't trapped in conventional wisdom or a slave to the drug companies. A rare find. From what I've read sugar could absolutely be the connection as high LDL levels generally go along with inflammation which is increased by sugar. I've also read that weight loss can affect LDL levels as well. There is a new book out called Cholesterol Clarity that I want to read that might be good for you as well.

Why not try to finish a complete W30 before going on to something you say is harder? Having that W30 solidly under your belt will give you a great deal of confidence. Another program you might want to consider is 21 Day Sugar Detox. It has several different levels for doing multiple times and I've read great things about it. 

As far as getting your log moved just send a PM to a moderator and they can hook you up.

Linda - do what ever will make you successful - I have found I have to stick something out and stay with it....stop my searching around.  I will try to follow and support you - but I'm not real techy.....LOL  I have done the 21 day sugar detox.  Very similar to w30. I like the support here much more and the fact this is becoming more sustainable for me with every day.  Don't let a few days of error or feeling bad get you down.  We all --- can do more than we think we can.  It's just some days we think we can't and that's the best time to find your "CAN"!!  Go us!

Thanks, everyone, for the support and suggestions. I went back and re-read (for the 20th time) the sugar chapter in "It Starts With Food." I read it every time I had a sugar craving today, which occurred about three times.

Once after a crazy couple of hours as we handled an emergency transfer of a patient to another, higher security facility. When it was over, I noticed I badly wanted sugar. I thought about it, and I think that is about "Hey, the adrenaline is gone, the excitement is over, I want something with sugar!" I think where some people say, "I want a drink" I say "I want some ice cream." I had a MaxGreens supplement drink instead (it was past time).

After lunch I found myself wanting something else. I think this is related to the banana I had at the end of lunch. I don't often eat bananas on their own because they seem to trigger this reaction in me. Not when I have them with fat, but on their own. What I've done in the past is to eat the banana, then have some fats like olives or something. 

Mid-afternoon, I wanted something, which is about my usual time to experience a tiny slump, feel bored, and want something to "look forward to." It was time for my protein drink, so I had that instead (these are supplements recommended by my chiropractor that I'm trying - which is why this isn't a Whole30).

So far I feel a mixture of things. ISWF helps reinforce to me that processed/added sugar isn't necessary. Certainly not in the quantity I've been consuming it. I've done all these wonderful things for my body and then I've destroyed most of it with the sugar.

I don't need sugar. I'm adjusting to that idea. It's kind of freeing, and really, really scary at the same time. I'm excited to see what happens, and scared that I won't be able to make it. I just pray that I'll have the strength. 

Feeling cautiously good about where I am today. I'm sure I'll have to mourn the sugar at some point, weird as that sounds.

Here's my food for today:

Meal 1: Beef and veggies, carrots, olives, apple

Mid-morning: MaxGreens

Meal 2: Tuna salad (tuna with Paleo mayo, mustard, and compliant pickle relish), zucchini fritter, salad (tomato, black olives, spinach, cucumber, olive oil), banana

Mid-afternoon: Protein drink

Meal 3: Mustard chicken, mashed cauliflower, with Paleo mayo and compliant pickle relish, carrots, tomatoes, frozen banana/coconut milk/cocoa powder

Need to get back to "Made to Crave"...

Today's Inspiration verse:

2 Corinthians 4:8-10: "We are pressed on every side, yet not crushed; perplexed, yet not to despair; pursued, yet not forsaken; struck down, yet not destroyed; always carrying in the body the putting to death of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body."

Wow, and amen.

Here's my food for today:

Meal 1: Beef and veggies, carrots, olives, apple

Mid-morning: MaxGreens

Meal 2: Tuna salad (tuna with Paleo mayo, mustard, and compliant pickle relish), zucchini fritter, salad (tomato, black olives, spinach, cucumber, olive oil), banana

Mid-afternoon: Protein drink

Meal 3: Mustard chicken, mashed cauliflower, with Paleo mayo and compliant pickle relish, carrots, tomatoes, frozen banana/coconut milk/cocoa powder

Need to get back to "Made to Crave"...

Today's Inspiration verse:

2 Corinthians 4:8-10: "We are pressed on every side, yet not crushed; perplexed, yet not to despair; pursued, yet not forsaken; struck down, yet not destroyed; always carrying in the body the putting to death of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body."

Wow, and amen.

Can I ask what the max greens and protein drink actually are? What's in them, and do you know why your chiro has recommended them?

Part of the battle is feeling good where you are at.........feelings run into play in so many different ways.  Now to be a sugar slayer.  Just before I started my w30, I was at a local "better choices for food store, even though they still have junk" and was speaking with the person in charge of the supplement area. He was in line with me with one huge exception - wheat/grains.  I am not a diagnosed celiac and he was able to talk me into a green drink.  I have had 2 doses...the taste.....it is awful, but the sales pitch was help you get your greens - this is made from food and so forth.  I said what about the wheat grass.......wheat is wheat.  He said since you are not diagnosed celiac, it "probably" won't affect you.  Because it has so many other good things in it I decided to jump in.  So here I am sitting - not drinking it - minus about $40.   I don't know why I bought it - I was "tired" at the time and looking for an easy fix or addition to.  My jury is still out on this...but with the wheat grass.......I just don't know.  I didn't have any immediate ill effects.  BUT I have to wonder as after my first week of w30, my really tight squeeze into pants(you know the lay down on the bed ones) became ever so slightly looser - still tight.  So is my really clean eating getting rid of the swelling from my wheat grass exposure or cleaning up the toxins of gf processed foods.  I don't know and probably will never know.  I like what's happening.  Oh and this week, I didn't have to lay on the bed to get a pair of pants that my daughter handed down to me that I have never been able to zip up - wore them all day yesterday. Yes.  One day at a time Linda, we will stick it to the dragon!

Thank you Amberino--I am such a sucker for a salesperson who pays attention to me, seems to be halfway with my thinking.  I knew I strayed into something that my head kept saying forget it.  It seems that I have read so many things - negative, middle of the road, great that confuses where I started.  I first read WB and should have stuck with Dr. Davis advice of - wheat is wheat.  Hum......I wonder if that can of greens would grow wildflowers!!!! ah well lesson learned.  Thanks for helping me get straight - sourdough bread was beginning to haunt me too! "They" say it's ok to eat....it's fermented.........I am such an easy sell........No I haven't eaten sourdough and now it won't be a part of my thinking.  I am missing Bacon -- and last I looked US Wellness was out of it!  Still working on my food thoughts!!!  BTW - the article isn't the only thing I've read about "green drinks" -- just shoved some information away and wasn't listening to it.........Thank you for caring enough to step up and say something.....with out being over bearing.  Yes I talk a lot - especially when I don't have anyone else to  listen to me about what I'm doing>>>>>>>LOL. Have a great day!

Yesterday was hard. I was coming down with a cold (too much sugar wipes out my immune system, every time), so I started the day drinking apple cider vinegar diluted in hot water. I went to the gym anyway, knowing that it could make me even more tired and achy. On the way home, because it was there, I got a flu shot. So that by the time evening came and my coffee/sugar withdrawal headache hit on top of everything, I was taking ibuprofen and Tylenol just to get to sleep. But I decided I couldn't feel much worse and I wanted to get over everything all at once rather than drag it out.

Today is better. I have milder cold symptoms but the headaches are gone and I can eat properly. Drinking hot water again and going to put away the coffee machine.

Hope you all have nice weekends.  Here's to better health!

I think where some people say, "I want a drink" I say "I want some ice cream."

Amen! That says so much right there. I've worked hard, it's me time, it's time to relax, and what do I want? Sweets. I can tell it's going to take ever so long to break this association. The regular meals are not so hard for me, but the rewards and cravings are so ingrained.

The MaxGreen and protein drinks both are part of a program called Maximized Living, which my chiropractor recommends and uses himself. I've seen numerous testimonials of people coming off meds, losing weight, lowering cholesterol and so forth after 30 days on the program, so I thought I would give it a try for 30 days.

I've gone back and forth so many times about supplements and protein-style drinks. On the one hand, I agree with what Dallas and Melissa and others say about not drinking your food. And these have stevia in them. On the other hand, I've noticed that on about day 10 of a Whole30 or sugar detox, I am extremely tired. I think I've said before that I think I don't get enough carbs for my level of exercise. And the worst time is after my workout, which is when you really need something for recovery. But mid-morning also is kind of rough too.

So again on the one hand, I don't really like the idea of the drinks (though they both taste really good), but on the other, I figure it's better than nothing or some awful snack. 

I think today, though, I've landed on the side of not using them after all, at least not for the time being. The most important supplements for me seem to be fish oil (for my joints), D3, probiotics and digestive enzymes, magnesium, and my Lurong Living (deer antler, again for my joints). I have all those things individually, and they're actually mostly less expensive than the Max Living stuff is. So I think I'm going back to that, and I'll have to figure something out for my post workout. Three egg whites would probably work if I can just figure out what to do with the yolks, LOL. Last weekend I made some sweet potato chews that are edible though not that delicious, and today I finally figured how to make sweet potato fritters that ARE delicious.

So I'm going back to the purist route.  :)

Food for today. I seem to be recovering from some kind of tummy upset - my thought is it might be the piece of conventional cake I had on Thursday (it was employee appreciation week at work).

M1: Side bacon, two eggs, carrots, and tomatoes.

The rest of the day I did not eat; I was joining in the Fast for Peace called for by Pope Francis. Though I did a lot of cooking today and tasted one dish along the way. 

Hit the farmer's market today and got so many goodies! I am going to be thoroughly depressed when the end of October comes and our farmer's market shuts down.

Today was part one of a kitchen WOD - I made some breakfast ground chicken and veggies, ground beef and veggies (lunch), and shredded a ton of sweet potatoes. We went to Mass, then I came back and made several batches of sweet potato fritters - best ones ever! I think the secret is frying them in enough coconut oil. But man! I had so much sweet potato! So I got through as many batches as I could, but I still have a container of mix left, LOL. At any rate, I should have plenty of sweet potatoes for post-workout and dinner.

Meal 2 (dinner): mustard chicken, mashed cauliflower with Paleo mayo, cherry tomatoes (yummmm) and grapes from the farmer's market. They were amazingly sweet and yummy!

I definitely plan to stash the powders for now. So tomorrow is the first official WHOLE30 day.

Hope everyone else had a good day!

Just looked at the inspiration verse for today and WOW. Is it appropriate, or what?? (Bold is mine)

Jeremiah 33:6,8: "Behold, I will bring it HEALTH AND CURE, and I will cure them; and I will reveal to them abundance of peace and truth. I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, by which they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, by which they have sinned against me, and by which they have transgressed against me."

Man. God is really something. 

Linda, no offence to your chiro, but I bet they receive a bonus (financial) from recommending/selling the protein and greens to you. The protein isn't bad, but its very expensive! for when you arent doing a whole 30 you can get 100% whey without the stevia or vanilla if you wanted something with nothing added.

I'm not a fan of green drinks - they aren't as fantastic nutritionally as is made out, as the powder oxidises and loses the goodness.

You'd be better off eating more real food! If you need the extra nutrients, something that doesn't oxidise would be more beneficial.

For postWO I would go for chicken or egg white (throw the yolks or make mayo with them), and sweet potato. Your fritters sound delicious, but may be too fatty for postWO. If you feel you need more carbs, eat more carbs - no one is stopping you having lots of sweet potato or other starchy vegies every day :)

Bless you Linda - great scripture..........you are so busy and trying to respond to your body's needs.  You will get it figured out.  You go girl.  At this point - I'm a cheerleader, as I am moving through my own first w30.  I love following what is going on with you as I am learning more each day.  Hope today is a blessed and happy, safe day!

Feeling so much better today. Headaches gone, cold symptoms almost gone. I had a crockpot of beef bone broth going since yesterday and had many bowls of that poured over greens and Well Fed's chocolate chili. Between that and the apple cider vinegar diluted in hot water, I'm on track to better health.

I have no desire for coffee, but I was not perfect yesterday. I took my son out for lunch and had only meat, seafood, salad, and grilled vegetables. But then he wanted an ice cream and I ordered one, too. I ate the top part of mine and threw out the rest. So it was a fall but not a train wreck. I guess that puts me back on Day 1 for no sugar, but I'm not craving anything.

Will try to go for perfect today because I think I can. :)

Amberino - Thanks for the ongoing advice and guidance!

I'm sure my chiro does receive a portion of the proceeds from the Max Living goods - however, I also think he and his wife truly believe in its benefits (they use it themselves). They are good folks, good friends, and fellow Crossfitters - I don't think they would try to sell me something simply because it would make them an extra buck! :)

That being said, however, I agree with you that it's better for me to find a way to just eat more food. For the coming week, I'm planning lunches of beef and veggie (squash, peppers, mushrooms, kale) plus mashed cauliflower and fruit, and I'll add a sweet potato to my evening meal as well.

I'm not sure why the fritters would have too much fat for post-workout? I know sweet potato chews have been endorsed for PWO, and the ingredients are identical other than egg - the fritters do have egg added, but it's two eggs for the entire batch, so it's probably about 1/6 egg per fritter, if that. If it's the egg, then I'll probably use egg whites instead of whole eggs.

Here's to a great day!

Archived