Need Help Saying Goodbye to SUGAR: It's Transformation Time

LindaLee

Hi, everyone! Made it through Day 2 of the Lurong...I'm still recovering from a nasty back pull last week, but felt better after I went to the chiro today. 

Tomorrow we have our first WOD for the Lurong...<shiver>

Today:

M1: Beef and all kinds veggies <g>, carrots and olives

M2: Mustard chicken, salad (spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, olive oil), mashed cauliflower with Paleo mayo, green apples

Organic hot dog

M3: Bacon, eggs, sweet potato, and banana/coconut milk/cocoa powder

Ran the Color Run 5K Sunday...wasn't easy, my back was killing me almost the whole time! But I made it...

Monday our workout was:

1000 meter row

5 planks (alternating straight planks with mariachi - mountain climbers and grasshoppers and a pushup)

5 hollow body rocks (serious core work)

5 x 3 deadlifts, starting at 75% and working up to 85% of your 1 rep max - 100-115 pounds for me.

WOD:

21-15-9 front squats and toes to bar (modified as lying tucks)

5:04

I stayed after and did some other stretching and mobility work.

I've been very tired the last few days...probably the sugar hangover. I wasn't eating that much sugar until the last few days, but I guess that makes a difference!

Hope you guys are doing great. 

BTW, I did email a moderator to get the log moved to post Whole30, but no one's gotten back to me yet. Stay tuned.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lurong Day 3 in the bag!

Meal 1: beef and veggies, carrots, and olives

Midmorning - Max Greens (I'm trying 30 days of three different supplement sets and comparing results). It's is the ONLY way I resisted cookies, cupcakes, and honey pretzels at a meeting today at was also a retirement party. Fortunately, someone also brought some glorious fruit. So I had that, and then didn't eat the fruit I brought for lunch.

Meal 2: chicken, mashed cauliflower, salad

Pre-workout: egg, coconut butter. I need to eat this a little earlier.

Today's workout:

Warmup: 500 meter row, 3 x 5-10-15 pull-ups, push-ups, squats

WOD: first WOD of the Lurong challenge:

21-18-15-12-9-6-3

Wall balls (8 pounds for me)

Deadlifts (65 pounds for me)

Box jumps/step ups (20")

14:47

Then I stayed and did my core exercises, and rolled my IT band, which has been KILLLING me. That seemed to help a lot.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Lurong Day 3 in the bag!

Meal 1: beef and veggies, carrots, and olives

Midmorning - Max Greens (I'm trying 30 days of three different supplement sets and comparing results). It's is the ONLY way I resisted cookies, cupcakes, and honey pretzels at a meeting today at was also a retirement party. Fortunately, someone also brought some glorious fruit. So I had that, and then didn't eat the fruit I brought for lunch.

Meal 2: chicken, mashed cauliflower, salad

Pre-workout: egg, coconut butter. I need to eat this a little earlier.

Today's workout:

Warmup: 500 meter row, 3 x 5-10-15 pull-ups, push-ups, squats

WOD: first WOD of the Lurong challenge:

21-18-15-12-9-6-3

Wall balls (8 pounds for me)

Deadlifts (65 pounds for me)

Box jumps/step ups (20")

14:47

Then I stayed and did my core exercises, and rolled my IT band, which has been KILLLING me. That seemed to help a lot.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Hi Linda - did you have a postWO meal too? I think post WO nutrition is more important than preWO as it gives your body something to use to help recover and refuel :)

Hi, everyone! Day 4 of the Lurong Challenge is done...we actually are under 60 days, LOL! (It's nine weeks total, until November 10th.)

Today I felt like I had some good energy, and a little more even throughout the day. Which was nice!

M1: the usual - beef and veggies, olives and carrots, LOL

MaxGreens

M2: you guessed it! Chicken, mashed cauliflower, salad, and a green apple that was waaayyy too tart

Pre-WOD: hard boiled egg and coconut butter. Ate a little earlier - had been trying to eat it an hour before the WOD, and then felt kind of blechy during the WOD itself. So moved it back another 15 minutes. Felt pretty good with that.

Today's workout:

300 single unders

Lunges from back to front of garage

Inchworms from front to back of garage

Backsquat warmups at 35#

Strength/skill: 7 x 5 backsquats at 75% of our one rep max, with 90 second rest between each set. Mine is 90 pounds, so I used 70# for this. It was NOT easy; we've doing lots of squats this week between front squats on Monday and wall balls yesterday. My glutes are killing me, LOL!

WOD: 2000 meter row for time. Took me about 9:55, which is about par for me. I'm not the best or fastest rower! But I worked HARD at it - it was very humid today and I was dripping by the time I got done.

Post-WOD: Protein shake

Did my core and back strengthening exercises - 30 banded pushups today - then a quick stop at work to prep for a hearing Monday, then a swing by the store for some plantain chips - my treat for today. Then home to feed the deer...then I had to go back out to my car to get my supplements and protein powder, and oops! I could hear a deer hooshing and whooshing in the yard. Sorry, honey...

Watching Project Runway and happy that the day is done. Tomorrow is Friday!

Let me hear from you guys, no matter what's happening!

Hi, everyone! Amberino moved us over here, since my MaxGreen and protein powder are not compliant. I'm experimenting with three different supplement groups right now - 30 days for each one and see how I feel.

Meal 1 was pretty much the usual.

MaxGreens around 10

Meal 2: more beef and veggies, mashed cauliflower, and an apple

Had some Warrior Mix afterward - Paleo but not Whole30 because it has honey in it

Pre-WOD: egg and coconut butter

Today's WOD was pretty easy as WODs go...

Warmup: stations - handstand hold, spider walks, GHD sit-ups, planks, rowing, fat grip hangs (the grip kept slipping, so I just did regular hangs)

Mobility with bands - ohhh, felt so good

WOD: team WOD of 5 rounds for time of 20 walking lunges per leg and 20 burpees. We could lunge with or without a plate - though one of us had to be holding a plate every time - and one of had to hold a plate while the other did burpees. I used 25 pounds.

Post-workout: protein drink

Meal3: bacon, eggs, sweet potato, grapes, and an Applegate organic hot dog.

I'm tired. Preparing for that hearing has really kicked my butt at work...I'll be glad when it's over...

How is everyone? I miss you!!!

Hi Linda,

You are doing so well with your Lurong challenge. Those workouts sound intense.

How do you feel like your supplement experimentation is going? And how's your back?

I'm finishing day 6 of my Whole 30. So far so good, despite a number of things which would've sent me to eat for comfort if I weren't doing this. :)

Hi, everyone...day 7 of the Lurong challenge is in the bag. I have to say, I'm enjoying eating Paleo with a few extras but not going whole hog. Kind of a new experience for me. For example, tonight I got to have a tablespoon of Nikki's Vanilla Cake Batter Coconut Butter - off limits during a Whole30 but okay for the Lurong as long as I keep things like honey and vanilla in moderation. Like I said, a new experience for me. I like it!

I found some massage exercises online that seem to have released my IT band somewhat, which I think was at the root of my recent back problems. Plan to follow up with my chiro on Thursday but am cautiously optimistic.

I was cooking today so my meals were extra boring, LOL. 

M1 today: leftover chicken and veggies, with sweet potato fritters.

M2: same thing, only with grapes.  :)

Didn't have any MaxGreens today...at least I don't think I did. Hmmm. Can't remember, LOL.

Once I got done with my Kitchen WOD, I did an hour of Yoga for Back Care, then my core exercises and some pushups, then the IT band massages that I found. Then a lovely shower.

For dinner, I experimented with some cabbage that I got in my organic food box last week. Thank goodness it hadn't gone bad! I only used about half of it; the rest is in the freezer and may become Paleo slaw later this week.

M3: Shrimp with a combo of cabbage, sweet potatoes, kale, and bell peppers. I still struggle with herbs and which ones to use to make things really flavorful. And grapes!

Hope everyone is doing well...would love to hear from you...

Still here - on day 31 - and continuing for another 30 ----I've done a whole lotta soul searching and need to get stuff out of my head - and stay in control before the flood gates open.  I'm not sure how much or what I want to re-introduce anyway - I may stay on this forever who knows??? LOL  Good to hear from you --- I've been reading your posts - you are wearing me out -- I have never been athletic -- so getting (a walk/run---I'm walking) in November will be a challenge for me - I'm excited as we end up on the field at the 50 yard line of OSU - go Bucks!  I hope I can get done in the time I said I would - hope you are well - sound like you are on target!

you mentioned herbs a few posts ago - I LOVE coriander (cilantro?) on just about everything. it goes nicely with asian flavours (like thai...not chinese). I also love adding thyme and dill to salads - dill and salmon is a favourite - and parsley and basil are fantastic in Italian style dishes. I also like chives - in salads, or in scrambled eggs.

Day 11 of Lurong challenge. 

Tired, depressed, and kind of bored... 

Remember there is always a hump or hill to climb and always a silver lining under a cloudy sky........Look up - feel the wonder of what's in front of you -- may sound corny but it works............you go girl --- get it in the bag!

Hi Linda,

Are you over the slump? I hit a slump at day 10 where I felt miserable and bloated. Then I found the Whole 30 timeline and discovered that it was expected that one might feel like that around day 10. Can't tell you what a relief that was. I know you're doing a different challenge right now, but I imagine there are some similar aspects. How long is the Lurong Challenge, by the way?

You asked what I am doing to deal with stress when I would usually have eaten. Good question. I posted here and wrote a group of friends who pray and asked for prayer on that day I was struggling a lot last week. So I guess I'm trying to process my emotions rather than stuffing them/numbing myself out with food and wine. It hurts, but I must say that I am enjoying freedom from behaviors which were constantly making me feel guilty!

Hope you are feeling more energetic now!

Xandra - yay for you for getting back on the wagon!

SimpleNotEasy (do you mind sharing your first name?) - 

Good for you. I truly think that it was only with the grace of God that I finally made it through my first Whole30 after countless attempts - and how I've made it through the first two weeks of the Lurong challenge. There have been times when I have just been hanging on by my fingernails, but a little bit of prayer has helped me get through. 

I am feeling somewhat depressed again tonight. This weekend, I thought I was finally starting to see some changes to my body, but my belly still is kind of poochy. I guess that's to be expected, actually. The other thing is...with this gorgeous weather, it is really, really hard to be stuck in the kitchen for four hours instead of outside walking or just sitting on my deck enjoying the sunshine and cool weather we've been waiting on forever. The leaves are starting to turn, and this is my favorite time of year at our house, before winter makes me wish we lived somewhere a little more conventional, LOL. At least I got a little bit of variety - I tried amberino's advice and made my mashed cauliflower with basil, oregano, and garlic instead of just garlic. It smelled amazing, so I'm hoping it tastes good too. And my husband found several pounds of ground venison in our freezer (he was cleaning out the wild pork to make room for this year's deer - he hasn't gotten it yet, but we figure he'll have at least one, hopefully more this year), which is my favorite meat to have for breakfast! 

The bad news was that my husband went deer hunting this morning and actually came home early because he wasn't feeling well (if you knew my husband you'd know this was unheard of). So rather than trying to drive the two hours from our other house tonight, he won't be here until tomorrow. Sigh. That's the way it is all summer, because he has his son until noon on Mondays, but I sure miss him. Again, sigh.

I did get to go for a 2-mile walk after I finished cooking, so that was good.

The cravings have been really bad the last few days...I think because I'm past that ten day mark, which is when they get very intense for me! My energy level has been a bit better than usual, maybe the Max Greens are helping even if they're not Whole30. 

More good news: I finished the first three Benchmark WODs for the Lurong Paleo challenge, and so far I'm in the top 10-20% in my division and at my workout level. I know I have no chance of winning a Performance Prize - they only give those to the top athletes - but it's nice to work hard and do reasonably well. The real test, though, will be what the difference is at the end. 

The next workout is pretty scary, but then again, that's kind of the whole point - to do things that scare you, LOL!

So. I'm still Paleo clean - it's very similar to a Whole30, with the biggest exception being they allow a certain amount of natural sweetener (such as honey or stevia) every day and a glass of red wine (which I haven't had, LOL). And a protein drink, but only post-WOD, not as a meal replacement. 

These are my ramblings for today! Sorry they aren't very coherent...here's today's verse, because God says it so much better than I ever could:

Proverbs 29:17: "Correct your son, and he will give you peace; yes, he will bring delight to your soul."

Hmmm...

And here's my company for tonight:

That's my sweet kitty Maya, keeping me company in daddy's absence...

Thanks, Terry! Today was Day 17, and again the cravings were pretty strong. I've noticed that when we have a high intensity WOD, and I finish it, I really really want a treat. And ironically, the treat I want is sugar! LOL. At any rate...here's my day today...

M1: venison and veggies with avocado, carrots and olives

Mid-morning: MaxGreens

Workout: Crossfit

Warmup: 400 meter run, inchworms and lunges

Mobility - hips, hamstrings

WOD: 50 thrusters (30 pounds for me) and 30 toes to bar (anchored abmat situps for me) - 5:16

M2: mashed cauliflower, mustard glazed chicken thighs, salad (cucumber, tomatoes, spinach and black olives) and honey crisp apple (nice change of pace from the Granny Smith)

Mid-afternoon: hard boiled egg and 1/2 tbsp coconut butter

M3: bacon, eggs, sweet potato fritters, mashed banana with coconut butter

Missing my husband again, sigh. He has had a wretched headache the last few days so while we've been together we haven't had a lot of conversation...then he left this morning to be with his son (who celebrated his 18th birthday today). He'll be back Friday, but after three years this is truly getting old. I miss him.  :(

Today's inspiration is about as basic as it gets:

Romans 5:8: "But God commends his own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

I just pray, knowing God has my dear husband in his hands and will help his pain heal. 

Archived