My post-whole30, gut-healing adventure!

Emily T

Having a very hard time staying close to the board and posting. I don't know why. I guess I'm busy and maybe my heart isn't in at as much. I was doing so well before but I keep messing up and then forgetting to post.

Here was my Monday:

Breakfast - whole milk grass fed yogurt with cinnamon and apple and cavewoman granola (just nuts and seeds, no grains)

Lunch - Chipotle chicken stuffed sweet potato skins (sweet potato, spinach, chicken, chipotle peppers, cheddar cheese - these were UNREAL - make them whole30 compliant by skipping the cheese: http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/healthy-chipotle-chicken-sweet-potato-skins/)

Dinner - Mesclun with bacon, cranberries, apples, goat cheese, pecans, red onion, and balsamic dressing

Tuesday 9-17

Breakfast - NONE! I had to get a hydrogen breath test this morning, so I needed to fast.

Mid-morning - Baby carrots and Mary's GONE crackers with homemade chipotle hummus (organic chickpeas, tahini, oil, garlic, lemon juice, chipotle peppers)

Lunch - Chipotle chicken stuffed sweet potato skins with a big mixed green salad

Dinner - Mesclun with bacon, cranberries, goat cheese, pecans, red onion, and balsamic dressing, and a pear and some dark chocolate for dessert

Evening - bone broth, probiotic, zinc 

I'm feeling a LOT better lately - particularly when I stick somewhat close to the plan, and by that I mean avoiding alcohol. I do feel like my gut is making a LOT of progress. I am going to the bathroom far more regularly, though with strain and not more than once a day.

I am bloated in the early morning, but it goes away after I drink some water. I get gassy after specific foods - particularly broccoli, cabbage, etc. I have noticed a correlation between fat and gas. I am still trying to decipher the connection. 

I would like to get the consistent energy levels I had on the whole30. I know I'll need to do a better job in sticking to the template. I also fear I have awoken a sugar dragon in the form of dark chocolate. I eat it every day! (But its sooooo good!!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I am back, two weeks later and re-committing to a new whole30 with a few modifications. I realized that I am trying to do this moderation thing, and I am failing at it so epicly. I do not know how to do moderation, so I am trying another 30 days on the whole30. I am going to document every meal in here the way I did during the 30. 

Here are my modifications:

ALLOWED

• Sriracha sauce

• Canned chipotle peppers (I cannot find any without sugar)

• Organic chickpeas

• Quality cheeses (goat cheese, aged cheddar) and butter

• Bacon cured with sugar (too difficult to find the whole30 compliant kind)

NOT ALLOWED

• All grains - corn, barley, wheat, rye, millet, buckwheat, rice, flax, etc

• Beans, lentils

• Soy

• Milk, yogurt, dairy products excluding cheese and butter

• Alcohol

• Added sugars in processed or packaged food (with the exceptions I listed above)

I have not yet decided if I am allowed to have SWYPO type foods yet. You know - paleo rice, paleo pizza, paleo pancakes. I typically find most of those things extremely time consuming but I do like the banana pancakes.

So here we go - day 1:

Breakfast: Aidell's chicken sausage with a mixed green salad and balsamic-oil dressing

Feeling a little hungry between breakfast and lunch, but not so bad. I'm trying to get back to the no snacking lifestyle I loved during whole30. 

Lunch: Sweetgreen salad - mesclun, onion, sweet potato, apples, cucumbers, chicken, bacon, pecans, goat cheese

Lunch was really satisfying and delicious. The pecans were sugared though - oops! My bad. I'm already screwing up. :( I had a really odd stomach pain in the afternoon - like I was bloated and unable to suck it in. Not sure what that is from. 

Dinner: Chorizo taco salad - chorizo, homemade guac, pico, and a little shredded cheddar on romaine

Before bed: coconut oil, zinc

Woke up feeling bloated and uncomfortable which lessened when I drank some room temp water and did morning pilates. This is very normal for me, no matter what I eat the night before. I believe this indicates overall gut dysbiosis rather than a specific food intolerance. 

Breakfast: Aidell's chicken sausage sauteed in oil and vinegar with peppers, onions and sweet potatoes; spoonful of coconut oil and probiotic 

Lunch: Chorizo taco salad - chorizo, homemade guac, pico, and a little shredded cheddar on romaine

Dinner: Marinated flank steak (olive oil, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper), romaine chopped salad with cucumbers, carrots, and red peppers with balsamic-oil dressing

Bedtime: Coconut oil, probiotic 

Seriously craving chocolate/sugar tonight. But I am staying strong! 

Woke up feeling less bloated than I have the past few days, but now I am rather constipated. 

Breakfast: Aidell's chicken sausage sauteed in oil and vinegar with peppers, onions and sweet potatoes; spoonful of coconut oil and probiotic and zinc

Lunch: Leftover flank steak salad (lettuce, cucumber, red pepper, carrots, balsamic-oil dressing)

Archived