Total Noob Starting 08/20/13

leachaa

Hi all!  I am a divorce mom of two school age children and I am almost 300lbs.  We eat clean most of the time but I am a binge eater and I bring my kids along for the ride.  I got some tough love from my best friend the other day and she told me I am slowly killing myself the way I am eating and she is right.   

So here I am.   I am excited and worried at the same time.   I know how I respond with food and stress and that is going to be hard.  Plus the kids and I live with my parents and when my mom cooks she fries everything with a side of white potatoes.   I actually said no to her cooking tonight and was able to cook my own meal on the side.  Now I just need to make sure that I am the one that does all the cooking.  

Wish me luck!  

Thanks!  

Hi leachaa!

I think this is a great program to deal with binge eating (and thinking).  If you browse through the posts you'll see a few things:

• eating this way keeps you from becoming 'physically' hungry so when you want to binge you realize it's for other reasons BEFORE you see the bottom of the ice cream container.
  • while you will have weird food dreams and cravings - you will also oddly lose interest in food for a while.  I think this has been a revelation for me.  Because I love food, I still manage to eat the meals (which you must) - but it's almost a chore on certain days.  That concept is rocking my world.  Unless I am physically sick, sugary carbs ALWAYS look good to me.  Until now.

after the first week or so, your mom and your kids will also learn the 'rules'.  They will fight you for a while, but you must stand your ground, sister!  You can't just 'do all the cooking'... you also have to remove the offending ingredients out of your eyesight.  So you'll have to convince them that you have to rearrange the kitchen and keep your own pantry / fridge shelf with nary a gluten / sugar bomb in sight.  If your mom will agree to fry everything in coconut oil and without any flour or dairy of any kind... well you're half way there.  Coconut oil, by the way, is way easier to use then other oils anyway for high heat.

Some advice:

1. Be prepared.  Be super-duper prepared. Have 'grab and go' meals or snacks in mind.  Know what you will do if you are caught out with the family at a restaurant.  Keep water with you at all times.
  2. Know which rules are FIRM and which rules are ideal.  You shouldn't snack and you shouldn't lean too heavily on fruits and nuts.... but if you use some cashews or almonds (dry, no oil!) and apples to get you through the early days, so be it.  The half n half in your coffee or the uber processed chicken nugget off your kids plate though - that's a big chute in the chutes and ladders of the whole30.
  3. Read ISWF and all the resources you can for ideas.  The first week is hard because of detox, but when you're dealing with the 'psych' issues around eating, you will need lots of ammunition to stay on track when the little voices in your head, or the voices in your household, try to convince you that dying slowly is better.
  4. Focus on healing, not losing weight - especially for the first month.  You didn't get here in 30 days - you will not be Sophia Vergara by November no matter how 'good' you are.... (I'm still grumpy at this one myself)
  5. Learn to be assertive.  When you take responsibility and control of what you eat - you will become your best self in other areas - work, parenting, daughter-ing, driving (I've finally put the damn phone in my purse in the back seat to keep me from touching it!)
  6. Read 'When Food is Love' by Geneen Roth.  She writes many books about eating / bingeing, but this one is an early one and my favorite. I re-read it every few years and have a good, cathartic cry each time.  I promise the book is better then the kind of icky title.

Here are two posts I wrote earlier about tough love - your Best Friend loves you and is awesome.... and how our kids will take care of us someday - we won't just die quietly in our sleep or dramatically clutch our chests and drop dead - so we are not just killing ourselves, we are killing ourselves in the ickiest way.

I'm not going to wish you luck, because that suggests that you need some divine help.  You don't.  Everything is a choice.  You can DO this.  I'm not suggesting you will be Perfect.  Because you won't.  NO one here has dived in and been perfect first go round the carousel.  But successful? Absolutely.

Go girl, go!

Lexes gave you lots of great advice! I just want to add some encouragement as a former binge eater...this style of eating and lifestyle has completely removed from me the desire to binge eat! The only time I start feeling that again is when I do eat the occasional off plan grain...those trigger food without brakes for me...aside from that I'm so much happier and have so much more energy with my 3 meals a day of protein, veggies, and fat.

You can do it!

Hi This will be my 3rd W30!!!   I did my first one on June and loved it!!! Haven't really gone off road more than 2 or 3 times while on vacation.  I love the way I feel and planning on eating like this the rest of my life!!!!  I started  yesterday again as I want to support my friend, who I convinced to join us :)   We are cooking and shopping together, It's going to be so much fun!

My advice....   Get the daily emails subscription, cook and freeze tons of meat, get a CSA share and come to the forums for support.

Good Luck to all !!!!   Day 3 here we go!!!!!

Anaxg, I am getting the email subscription and they are very helpful.  I just bought a ton of meat and we have a produce co-op here where I live that I have been doing for a couple of years now.  Great tips though!  A friend is starting on Monday so we will kind of be going through it together.  And thanks! 

dpittsmd1985, Thank you!  

Its wonderful that you have a friend to go on the journey with you.  It helps so much having an "accountability partner"...LOL

I am grateful for this forum and blog.  It makes the Paleo lifestyle so do-able because of the recipes that are shared and the links to other sites for healthful eating.

Good luck!!

Archived