More fruit a substitute for carby veggies?

I'm NOT a fan of carby veggies (sweet potatoes seriously make me gag). I have big texture issues and that really restricts what I have been eating the last 19 days. I'm getting burned out on meat and spinach salads, or meat and veggies. I have been adding a bowl of watermelon after dinner, but I don't think that is so great for me sugar wise. Any suggestions as to anything else I can add to make it through the last 11 days?

I like raw carrots, not cooked (again a texture thing). I was pretty sure that it wasnt a proper substitute, so my bowl is child sized. I will have to do some more searching for beetroot and parsnips. Not too sure what to do with them when I get them but that will be another recipe search. We had spaghetti squash the other day and I wasn't too fond of that either. I have tried SO hard to like sweet potatoes. We made soup, hash, baked them, fried them, made it into noodles...Blech. Would zucchini be a better alternative?

Have you tried making mashed sweet potatoes? I use a little coconut milk and ghee and add different spices depending on my mood. Chile powder, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper....

Parsnip fries are yummy! Cumin-roasted carrots!

If its a texture thing and you aren't find of cooked veggies, try cooking them more al dente. I don't like mushy, over cooked veggies either, but give me some crisp cooked veggies and I am a happy camper.

What about bananas? Bananas are unusual for a fruit in that they're pretty much a starch (glucose), rather than a sugar (fructose). So just looking at the type of carbohydrate contained they're more similar to a sweet potato than an apple. Or try plantains as well; they're good fried in any kind of fat and also very starchy as opposed to sugary like most fruit is.

I do eat more bananas than usual but I thought that was also frowned upon since its fruit. I'm unfortunately a super picky eater so this has NOT been an easy 20 days. My clothes feel different, but today I'm super tired and don't have much of an appetite. I work nights and have a toddler with me all day so sleep is an issue too. Sorry for the rant. Today I'm just tired, bored, and frustrated. I actually dreamt about a diet coke this afternoon. Lol.

I think the reason why you're not supposed to eat more than 2-3 servings of fruit a day is that the fruit would start crowding the vegetables off your plate, and that many people use fruit to feed their sugar cravings. So unless you're eating a LOT of bananas or the bananas are replacing your veggies, I don't think they're really "frowned upon" just because they're fruit.

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so lousy - I hope it gets better soon!

Do you have access to different types of sweet potatoes? I have found that when I buy the ones with reddish skin and super-orange flesh, I don't care for the taste or texture much, and I LOVE sweet potatoes. I stick to the ones with brown skin and lighter orange flesh. (I'm in Canada and I think they're called different things in the U.S., so visual description is my best bet here.) I think there are several different varieties/colours of Whole30-approved sweet potatoes (basically anything that isn't a white or purple regular potato), and all come with their own variation of flavour and texture.

Also fruit is not frowned upon AT ALL! You just shouldn't have more than 1 or 2 servings a day while on Whole30, so as not to feed your sugar dragon unnecessarily, or push more densely nutritious veggies off your plate. But fruit is beautiful and healthy and delicious, and you should enjoy it!

Archived