Fruits! Fruits everywhere? what is too much

I started my first ever Whole 30 on Sunday.

I have a clarification question already (okay, that's not true, I search this forum all the dang time lately, it seems, to answer clarification questions. ;) )

On the matter of fruits, it feels like we Whole 30-ers should be limiting them. I am using avocado as my fat source with breakfast, and this is technically a fruit. So is a tomato, and I just ate a whole little Roma tomato alongside my eggs and roasted carrots and half an avocado for breakfast. AND a banana. So that's, what, technically three I have already consumed? I was also planning on maybe eating some apple as a snack between lunch and dinner. I know we're not really suppoed to snack, but my schedule is kinda screwy, and there is a loooong and unavoidable stretch between lunch and dinner, unfortunately. Should I feel badly about this? :(

-ALSO, it seems some people cut out tomatoes for whole 30, yet there are so many whole 30 compliant recipes with tomato paste?

-ALSO, ALSO, a co-worker under the guise of helping suggested I only eat darker green apples as opposed to pink lady/fuji/other varieties, as they have less sugar. I kinda thought eating an apple was great, since it is a whole food? She also warned me to stop munching on baby carrots, for the same reason. I thought natural sugars were okay? Must I nitpick to this degree?

• Moderators

Don't count avocado or tomatoes as fruit. For the purpose of the Whole30, they are vegetables. You should limit real fruit consumption - apples, bananas, etc. - to one or two servings per day. No servings of fruit is fine, but make sure you don't eat more than one or two servings because that guarantees you are not eating enough vegetables, which are the major focus on Whole30 eating.

Melissa Hartwig wrote a great blog post about taking the carrot train to crazy town several years ago. The post called out people who worried about getting too much sugar from carrots as crazy. You simply cannot overdo sugar by eating carrots. The concept is crazy. And if you want a pink lady apple, eat one. You don't have to limit yourself to granny smiths. 

Huzzah! Thanks, guys. So nice when the answers are what I want to hear. :)

I think I might eat a zuccini and hard boiled egg next time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Add a 1/2 or whole avocado to that snack to give you a healthy fat with it.

Here's the article Tom mentioned: http://whole9life.com/2010/04/crazytown2/

Read it. Internalize it. BREATHE.

Lastly, it is SUMMER, season of fruits aplenty. Eat them and enjoy them while they're in season.

I plowed through 4 lbs of fresh picked blueberries last week, but I'm also not going to be doing that come January. As long as they aren't pushing veggies off your plate, don't be scared of fruit

I've been picking the blackberries from our garden. And eating a few. Some of them seem to come with a little bonus caterpillar inside - they poke their heads out occasionally but then duck back in & you can't see them. So i guess some of my fruit comes pre-loaded with a little protein & fat, & that would count as a decent mini-meal, right?  :P

Alright, guys. Thanks for all the input- very encouraging so far!

Follow up questions : that half an avocado I am using for my fat...does it double as a veggie serving? Or should I think of it separately, for the purpose of filling the fat niche OR the veggie niche (if I am eating seeds or something at the same time)?

Miss Renee Lee, would you say it is possible to eat too much...period? I love fruit, and would really like to indulge, and if I just make sure to scarf down the recommended veggies as well, I will be quite full. I don't mind eating lots of veggies, also, just don't want to eat too much overall, if that makes sense?

(also, Roz Griffiths, you comment about blackberries and the  catepillar is the best thing I have heard all day - granted, I have only been awake about two hours, but I've been kinda grouchy and not amused at anything for most of that time period. ;)

Miss Renee Lee, would you say it is possible to eat too much...period? I love fruit, and would really like to indulge, and if I just make sure to scarf down the recommended veggies as well, I will be quite full. I don't mind eating lots of veggies, also, just don't want to eat too much overall, if that makes sense?

It's definitely possible to eat too much in general, but it's also highly improbable that you'll get there if you're following the meal template. The moderate amounts of protein and fat that are recommended in the template are highly satiating, so it's going to be hard to overeat if you're eating the recommended portions of things. That being said, if you're hungry, eat! It'll even out.

As strict as the program is, it's NOT supposed to set you up for a life of eating the same strict, regimented meals for the rest of your life. There are going to be different things that go on in different days, and it's all going to even out in the end.  Example: my blueberries. Not a ton of room left on my plate for veggies (or some protein, actually) during that week, but that's okay. Again, I'm not going to be chowing down on blueberries in the fall or winter, so I'll make it up then. I actually ran out last week, so I've been basically fruitless since...I think I've had only a banana since Friday or something like that.

Moving veggie and fruit portions around from week to week like that is sort of an intermediate step, more like Whole30 201 as opposed to 101 (which would be the template). If you don't feel comfortable right now judging that stuff for yourself, stick to the template and Tom's initial recommendations. Once you've got that stuff under control, you can loosen up.

Make sense?

Archived