August 26th Start Date

LebenAlles

Hey all, 

Glad to see so many of you are starting at the same time as we are!  Day one, I feel, was a success.  I am trying to get used to eating so much at each meal, but it's definitely essential in keeping me from snacking.  Snacking is something I'm hoping to mostly (if not completely) get rid of by the time this is over.  I did end up falling asleep at 7:15 last night, which is CRAZY, but I guess my body needed it.  Especially since it didn't have all the carbs and sugar to keep things running (on fumes) and hasn't switched to burning fat for fuel.

Started the day today with 4 eggs, spinach, butternut squash, and a small dish of half a banana and some crushed cashews.  I'm already feeling so much better just from the sleep and from a day of clean eating, though I'm sure I'll have plenty of challenges ahead.  I hope everyone is doing well.  Keep on keepin on!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going strong, went to a restaurant for a friend's birthday. Obviously couldn't eat much. It was a southern food restaurant, so sweet corn, mashed potatoes, hushpuppies, fried chicken... Went with a burger, no bun with a fried egg, salad instead of fries, and water no alcohol.

It was tough, and I eat better, tastier if I cook. But it was good to be with friends, who all ended up being very supportive.

Up to day 3 already, time is flying. Already feeling fitter and coping well with extra exercise. I am already fat adapted from prior whole30's so just need a bit of a clean up... And to re establish good eating habits, and be healthy for my holiday in 28 days!

Keep up the good work everyone!

My grandpa and I actually started day 1 today, August 27th. So we are right behind you! I've done Paleo before, but got pregnant, had tons of bad cravings, and have slowly been trying to get back to Paleo. I know... I should've been MOST conscious while pregnant, but it didn't happen. When my grandpa came to me, and said he was starting another round and wanted me to be his partner and do it with him, I jumped right on the Whole30 wagon!!! I'm super excited to embark on this journey! Good luck to you as well!

Still going strong.  Posting a pic of each meal on instagram (LebenAlles if any of you want to see) and so far the cravings are under control...wish I could say the same about my grumpy attitude in the mornings.  We were out of town til sunday afternoon so we weren't able to do a prep day.  So that means each night we're cooking protein for the next day and each morning we're not only cooking breakfast before work, but we're also prepping lunches and taking out anything needed for dinner.  This leads to a lot of pissiness and bad attitudes and frustrations.  Combine that with the fact that I stepped on some glass this morning and demolished an egg in my hand (apparently my brute strength is just too much for the fragile breakfast egg) and you've got one grumpy cave bear.  Seriously.  Anyways, this sunday is a long weekend, and one of things I'll use to combat the fact that I would usually binge on long weekends is a nice sunday cookup to prep for the week.  That should help.

Still waiting on the 'bounding out of bed with happiness and energy' that is supposed to kick in eventually.  Looking forward to it.  Wonder what day it'll kick in.

So how is everyone today?  How are things going?  I hope everyone is doing well.

I started with my bestie on the 26th.... So far so good! I'm loving the real food.... However; the sugar dragon is a beast not to take lightly!! I had no idea I was soo addicted to sugar! I hate the idea that anything has that kind of control over me! So I'm more determined now than when I first decided to do the whole30! Glad to know there are several other with the same start date to compare notes with! Good luck and good eating to all!

Well hello,  it is only day 5.  This is harder the second time around for me mentally.  I know I can do it, so I seem to be trying to rationalize off program things.  I am successfully ignoring those false arguments, but man it is a bigger mental struggle not to quit this time around.  UGH.

Oh and last time I failed at staying away from the scale, this time I am determined to defeat that habit.  This seems to be very hard for me, all morning I fought with my self over it.  Control won, but geez 30 days of this is going to wear me out.

Here are my goals....i must keep them in site:  The scale does not define me.   Food is not for stress relief, I do not need chocolate to get through the day.  I must eat more veggies in the morning.  30 days of ab work, because having babies destroys your core strength. 

I'm still in it to win it!! 

Last night I tried to make a sirloin tip in the oven, maybe it's too tough of a meat though to bake, or I baked it too long. It came out not very tender :( Maybe next time I'll cook something like that in my slow cooker.....

Lunch is still what's killing me.

I'm doing fried eggs and black tea for breakfast. Dinner is heavy on the meat with some steamed or baked veggies. Maybe an apple or strawberries. But packing a lunch is tough for me, I've never been in the habit. I'm lucky though because downstairs from my office there's an organic salad bar place. I can load up on salad and hard-boiled eggs, most everything else is suspect, but there is a hot chicken dish that is basically strips of chicken breast with a bit of squash, all sauteed or grilled. I really should just be prepping a salad every day though, or bringing leftovers.   

@winterberry

"...I am breastfeeding an infant.......I'm a little worried about eating so much meat!  I've only ever had meat at about 2 meals a week, so moving up to 2-3 meals per day will be...interesting."

You know, I don't know how well the logic works, but when breastfeeding you are essentially creating an animal product for your infant, so upping the animal products you eat could help..... :)

I, too, wouldn't eat meat very often. And I certainly didn't eat as much in one meal as I do with W30. I'd eat a piece of fruit and a salad. Or a protein shake in the morning. Peanut butter on an apple or banana. Then I'd have noodles or something for dinner, and was constantly snacking throughout the day and found myself overly hungry at night. Adding all the protein in, has definitely helped me get through the day! I'm actually eating more with the 3 meals than I ever have in one sitting, and I feel satisfied with just 2 meals really! But I make myself at least eat a small meal to make it 3 meals a day, and I don't go in starvation mode. Good luck!

I'm still in it to win it!!

Last night I tried to make a sirloin tip in the oven, maybe it's too tough of a meat though to bake, or I baked it too long. It came out not very tender :( Maybe next time I'll cook something like that in my slow cooker.....

Lunch is still what's killing me.

I'm doing fried eggs and black tea for breakfast. Dinner is heavy on the meat with some steamed or baked veggies. Maybe an apple or strawberries. But packing a lunch is tough for me, I've never been in the habit. I'm lucky though because downstairs from my office there's an organic salad bar place. I can load up on salad and hard-boiled eggs, most everything else is suspect, but there is a hot chicken dish that is basically strips of chicken breast with a bit of squash, all sauteed or grilled. I really should just be prepping a salad every day though, or bringing leftovers.

Could you cook extra vegies at breakfast and have some for breakfast and lunch? Cook an extra portion of meat at night when you make dinner and voila, lunch is done! :)

"I just want to nap" it's very true for me, day 8. I slept 10 hours overnight thanks to my husband for getting up with the kids, and I stil feel beat. There should be a warning label not to drive or operate machinery on W30! I survived a county fair and an overnight to my aunts lake house where people were shoving food in my face every 20 mins. So I am very happy about that and now am realizing I need to prep for the week big time! Days 10/11 are supposed to be the worst days, hang in there everyone!

Yes,  Hang in there.  It gets so much better. 

I had a dream last night that I ate 2 cupcakes and just did not care that I broke my whole 30.  On my first whole 30 I had a dream about breaking it and in the dream I broke down in tears.  Interesting how my subconscious feels about it this time.

OMG I almost broke at lunch today.  I brought my lunch, leftovers from a few night ago.  I had made a paleo Brunswick stew over the weekend.  Really yummy, but it made a lot and I have had several lunches and dinners of it.  I did not get to eat until late and I wanted Bullritos (kinda like chipotle)  so much.  My lunch just did not sound appetizing today.

As with all things I want that are not compliant, I checked the ingredients....(works great with oreos and even better with fig newtons)

I would have barely been able to have anything on the menu and I was afraid if I went in, I would have broke and had a tortilla and sour cream and cheese and.........   I finally talked my self down off the ledge.  Not going to ruin all my efforts because I got too hungry and lunch did not sound exciting.    Anyway I pulled out my emergency avocado and put it in the stew, and that livened it up a lot. 

Whole 30 saved!!!

Nice save Elizabeth!  I hear you on wanting to break.  I randomly have the weirdest cravings, just like they forewarned in the program.  The other day, I almost unknowingly fell off the wagon.  I didn't feel like cooking so I stopped by The Fresh Market to get one of their deli roasted split chicken breasts.  I made sure to get the 'natural' one and even asked the guy if it had anything extra added to it.  He said 'nope'.  I get halfway home and decide to look at the ingredients on the printed label, just in case...and what do you know, there's carageenan in it!  So of course I couldn't eat it (I ended up giving it to my mom, which I kind of felt bad about).  At first I freaked out a little, but then I calmed down, went to the nearest Publix and picked up some ground beef to make hamburger patties, which is one of my go-to quick meals.  Put a little salsa, quac, and crispy shallots on top and you've got yourself a beautiful meal!

So we're still hanging in there.  I was even able to relocate my Aunt's 70th birthday lunch to a glutenfree friendly restaurant (without being a total pain) and am back at the gym, so things are going well.  Hope the same goes for everyone else!

Archived