Oreos as a health food.. uhhh what?

ErinK

http://primaltoad.com/oreo/

I'd love to hear people's opinions on this article I stumbled across.

I get what he's saying as far as the importance of mindset and maintaining low stress especially when it comes to food but I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone could classify oreos as a food that will make you healthier no matter how much you savior each bite.

I think that conscious decisions should be made when it comes to choosing to indulge and therefore you shouldn't stress because you are aware that the food will NOT make you healthier but decide that the enjoyment you will get from eating said food is worth it. That's when you savor it and understand that it will not undo everything you have worked for however, not stressing about an indulgance certainly doesn't make it a healthy choice. 

I think it's a slippery slope especially with carbs that are all too easy to over consume and although the mind is a powerful thing I don't think it has the magic abilities to make all those glucose molecules disappear.. 

That's it, I'm doing a WholeO next...

Oh, wait, except I haven't been able to eat Oreos after a food scientist told me that they use Crisco for most of the filling. Somehow Oreos haven't had the same appeal since.

After reading the article, my response was - Huh?

Saying someone is perfectly healthy because he eats everything with joy is...well, not anything vaguely resembling scientific.  It completely ignores any other factors that might be present.  It might well be that he is perfectly healthy DESPITE eating Oreos.  Or he looks perfectly healthy, but there are underlying problems that will surface at a later date and cause him to regret all the Oreos.

On the other hand, maybe if I achieve the right mindset, I can get perfectly healthy eating a big bar of chocolate every day.

I've seen this guy in a few other paleo/primal forums. 

The scientist in me could barley get through this.  Sure . . . I'll just make up a few scenarios that two people eat up to 10 oreos a day and I'll make up that one is healthy and one isn't. 

I am trying to appreciate his point that your mindset is also important when considering what you eat.  I like to splurge too!  And I can appreciate that stress hormones may do more damage if you're feeling guilty vs enjoying the moment.  But I need facts and evidence, not 2 made up people with differing health affects from Oreos just to fit your antecdote.  

Nice find, Erin!  It never hurts to read something that makes you think Huh.

I get what he is saying in the article and he used something very shocking to say it. I also agree that an oreo is not a food and with what Tom says as well.

His point that I agree with is that if you are going to choose to eat something less healthy do so without guilt...acknowledge the choice...and move on. I think when you are a self aware eater acknowledging the truth of how your body feels and reacts than you can do this vs when you categorize "good" vs "bad" foods. As someone whose only form of rebellion was based in food choices for years and years I totally get this.

So for me as someone that knows that an oreo is not really food and won't make me more healthy the act of eating an oreo is "healthy" if I decide that I will eat and enjoy an oreo for what it is and not feel guilty about it and "unhealthy" if I sneak the oreo and feel guilty about it or say "I just couldn't help myself...bad me" or "I'm going to eat this because someone else said I couldn't muhahahaha!'

In other words he isn't talking about the health quality of what you ate, he is talking about the health quality of how you ate it.

Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense in terms of scientific facts.

An oreo is an oreo, regardless of how you eat it. It's unhealthy no matter what. If someone wants to eat oreos and be totally happy about it, awesome for them! No shame. Them eating oreos doesn't effect me at all. But to say that it doesn't negatively effect their body in some way is an outright lie. I didn't think even the most pro-sugar foodie would argue that. 

I love Oreos and think they taste great.  As a toddler, I thought turpentine smelled pretty good and I drank some of that, too.  Oreos probably won't land me in the emergency room quite that fast, but I'm not eating them any more, either.

Archived