Mayo help? Please?

AmandaNew

Ok - I need mayo help! I rushed right out & bought a new smaller blender (I have a vitamix - but didn't want to make the mayo with it) - and went to work making the mayo. I found the video and watched it. Looked super easy! I decided to double the recipe. (Maybe that's where it all went wrong.) I have mayo soup! It didn't thicken and I drizzled - hopefully slowly enough. Do you think it will thicken in the fridge? HELP!!!!

• Moderators

Most of the time, I have found that adding a splash or two of apple cider vinegar will help a failed mayo make. But I have the last serving of a failed mayo in my refrigerator right now. It tastes good and makes good tuna salad, but it never "made" correctly with any of my usual tricks.

I'm sorry your mayo failed. I don't know why it did but there seem to be a number of factors to get an emulsion going. I have never had a mayo fail but my equipment is different. I use a Braun immersion blender and a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. The blender fits the cup perfectly and the emulsion works every time.

Xandra - I have an immersion blender too and so far, so good on my mayos...perhaps that's the trick? With the handheld one, you can move the blender around to any areas that need more mixing than others (which I do fairly often while making it), stopping the drizzle until it's all incorporated.

Were your ingredients room temperature? I use Melissa Joulwan's recipe with my food processor, and that's one thing she emphasizes. Following her instructions I haven't had a miss so far (crossing my fingers and trying not to jinx myself!). I also use one of those cheap condiment squeeze bottles to drizzle the oil.

That condiment bottle is a GREAT idea.  I have no patience for drizzling which is why I use the immersion blender.  I think the no-fail part is because the bottom of the container and the head of the blender fit snugly, i.e., not too much oil gets in there at once before the emulsion is formed.  Literally, my mayo comes out with the consistency of pudding, even before I put it in the fridge.  And I don't bother waiting for everything to be room temp.  The oil is already room temp and the only thing cold is the egg.

Thank you Physibeth!  Can I ask if your immersion blender is 1 or 2 speeds - I see a cheap one on Amazon for $16 - it has 2 speeds.  Does that matter?  I appreciate your help.

Mine is a 1 speed. I bought it at a grocery store. I do really want to get this one at some point: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-2-Speed-Immersion-Blender/dp/B00ARQVM5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377205137&sr=8-2&keywords=handheld+blender+cuisinart mostly because I can get it in pink (hello!) and because it is cordless. Mayo is always best on the lowest speed from what I've read. When I make it I stick the thing on the bottom of the jar and I don't move it at all until I see nothing new happening and then I move it very slowly to a new location and repeat.

I also only had luck with immersion blender. Tried like 4 times with blender/by hand/making sure i followed everything to a tee. But then i saw to use an immersion blender and i have probably made it like 15 times and it has never failed me! No setting ingredients out either to come to room temp. Just throw it in and blend!

Archived