Medication contains non-compliant ingredients :-(

Hi all, first post here!  I am on Day13 of the Whole30 and have been 100% compliant to the best of my knowledge (foodwise).  However, I have to take a calcium/vit D supplement for osteopenia and I'm only after looking at the ingredients.  They contain sorbitol, sucrose and hydrogenated soya bean oil.  I'm disgusted :( .  Does this mean the last 13 days have been for nothing?  Well not nothing, I am happy to be eating healthier but is the Whole30 now out of reach for me?  I will continue anyway but I'm wondering if I will see all the benefits when these ingredients are in my diet every day?

Thanks for any advice!

medications and supplements are two different things. If you have a prescribed medication, do your whole30 and continue to take the prescription. If you have supplements with non-compliant ingredients, stop taking them or find one without. People who would like extra credit points can talk to their dr. or pharmacist about different formulations of medication that are compliant, but it is not required. (kidding, on the extra credit points).

Basically, you can get a ton of benefits even if you take drugs that include minute amounts of sugar or soy or whatever, and the whole9 would never want to get between you and you dr's prescribed meds. makes sense?

Anecdotally, I did my first whole30 while taking vitamin d supplements that had rice bran oil (I didn't realize) and still had a very valuble experience. Since then I've found other vitamin d supplements that are free of non-compliant ingredients (they have olive oil). Personally I do not supplement with calcium, but there are calcium supplements out there that are compliant as well.

Here is a link on calcium, just an FYI: http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

Thanks for the reply.  It is a prescribed medication and I will definately continue to take it but I just wondered if it would affect the benefits of Whole30.  I might talk to my pharmacist to see if there is an alternative.  Thanks for the link, will have a read now.

Archived