Confused about seeds

lizzie_s

In the "Can I have...?" guide it says chia seeds and hemp seeds are Ok. But in the book it lists them as ones to avoid. So I don't know if they are OK. This morning I wanted to do a smoothie with kale, coconut milk, a little fruit, chia seeds and use pure hemp powder for protein. But I'm not sure if this would be compliant. I know smoothies aren't recommended in general but I thought this blend would be Ok

So I guess that's 2 questions: are chia seed and hemp allowed, and how bad is it to have a smoothie.

Smoothies are discouraged, even predominantly green ones - Your body misses the signals it gets when you chew, and you won't be as satisfied as if you'd eaten the same amount of food.

Protein powders aren't whole 30 compliant, and I don't think chia seeds are the best choice....

I just found this link:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3458-chia-seeds/

I'm not a moderator or whole30 expert... I don't even play one on tv.  But I've re-read this part of the book a few times 

On the scale of 'badness' smoothies  and chia don't rank very high at all.  I think the point of calling them out is to say - don't trick yourself into thinking that high sugar fruit smoothie with chia seeds is super healthy and so full of good omega3 that you don't need to worry about eating meat, fish and eggs that are high quality.

Smoothies get in the way of : don't drink your meals - it's too fast and you won't learn satiety.  don't eat too much fruit - you aren't teaching your sugar dragon any good lessons that way.  and don't equate chia and hemp with salmon and grass fed meat.

The smoothie you describe is WAY more healthy then the one I would come up with!   :rolleyes:

Smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30 for several reasons: they want you to chew your food versus drink it, chewing is more satiating, and it's too easy to overdo on too much fruit in one sitting, vs. spreading your fruit servings throughout the day.

On the chia and hemp seeds, yes they are ok, but only in limited quantities.

They really discourage the use of protein powders at all. Most of them contain off-plan ingredients and they allow you to consume more protein than you normally would in a meal. 

• Moderators

Chia seeds are marketed as a good source of omega3 fatty acids. They are if you are a cow. Chia seeds include ALA, a form of omega3s that humans cannot convert efficiently to the form of omega3s that our bodies actually use - DHA and EPA. So, chia seeds are a source of calories with little nutritional value. You can have them, but you want them because a marketer misled you about them. :)

Everything every one else said is true. Smoothies suck and protein powder is not real food. 

• 1 year later...

Chia seeds are marketed as a good source of omega3 fatty acids. They are if you are a cow. Chia seeds include ALA, a form of omega3s that humans cannot convert efficiently to the form of omega3s that our bodies actually use - DHA and EPA. So, chia seeds are a source of calories with little nutritional value. You can have them, but you want them because a marketer misled you about them. :)

Everything every one else said is true. Smoothies suck and protein powder is not real food. 

Green smoothies....yuck, I need a bucket.

green-smoothie.jpg

Protein powder is fairy dust and glitter.   Big promises with little returns.

goGreenSmoothie.jpg

Go away, green smoothies.   Hit the road, Jack.

"What’s all the hype about green smoothies?

It’s amazing that so much controversy can be stirred up about liquid vegetables in a glass.

Fans of the green smoothie love the ease and healthy boost that their morning drink provides and celebrate increased energy, weight loss, and overall improved health. Parents love that they can sneak veggies into their children’s diets.

Some green smoothie lovers go hard core with green-on-green combos – mixing kale with the likes of dandelion greens, parsley, collards, or chard. Others toss a handful of spinach in with a fruit and yogurt smoothie, and yet others scoop some green powder into their morning blend.

But not everyone is in love…

Critics of the green smoothie cite the oxalate content of some greens can cause kidney stones and worsen yeast overgrowth (source); goitrogens exacerbating thyroid issues (source); and fiber wreaking havoc for those with leaky gut, irritable bowel, and other digestive issues (source).  Many believe that dark greens should mostly be consumed steamed and always with fat for optimal nutrient absorption.

You need fat to absorb nutrients

I love the wisdom of traditional French cooking that consistently pairs vegetables with cream, butter, or another saturated fat. Turns out, the French were on to something –vegetables are better assimilated when ingested with good fats.

A recent study of over 1.700 Swedish men indicates that consumption of fruits and vegetables was associated with a decreased risk of heart disease, but only when combined with full-fat dairy consumption.

In this study, it was shown that eating salad with full-fat dressing resulted in far better nutrient absorption than eating salad with reduced or non-fat dressings.

Increasing the surface area (via blending or juicing) may help absorption, but you are likely to get maximum usage of the nutrients in the veggies if you include some fat too."

Holistic Squid

Archived