Starting September 9th looking for support

charleyd40

Question: Are you going to weigh and measure, before and after? I weighed this morning, and measurements last week.

Today is day one. I am holding it together, but I am not a huge fan of most meat, eggs, and sweet potatoes. Each meal today has been a struggle. I am not hungry, but I waited too long to eat lunch, and totally crashed a little while ago. I am eating now, and starting to feel better. Dinner still to come, it looks better than the rest of my day so far.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: Are you going to weigh and measure, before and after? I weighed this morning, and measurements last week.

Today is day one. I am holding it together, but I am not a huge fan of most meat, eggs, and sweet potatoes. Each meal today has been a struggle. I am not hungry, but I waited too long to eat lunch, and totally crashed a little while ago. I am eating now, and starting to feel better. Dinner still to come, it looks better than the rest of my day so far.

I did weigh and measure.

What are you eating? You should definitely check out the Well Fed cook book. The recipes I've made are so good! You should definitely try to find some things you really like so that you don't dread every meal. The recipe forum has a lot of great suggestions as well.  Cheers!

I'm in Australia, so the 9th September is today for me and it is also my Day 1 :)

Only had breakfast and lunch so far and it's going well - was hungry after lunch and realised I missed adding any fats to lunch so chomped ona few nuts and feeling better again.

Having some coke zero withdrawal headaches and imagine that will keep up for another couple of days.

Good luck today folks - I know we're all capable of doing this, and I'm excited to hear about everyone's day.

I'm currently finishing off my coffee before heading to work. I didn't wake up with any manner of hunger or appetite (hey there, hormonal imbalance!), but had a mini frittata with veg and sausage, and half an avocado.

I also didn't get much sleep last night so I'm just all out of wack.

Lunch is packed and ready to go and consists of a salad (romaine, kale, spinach, radicchio, shredded carrots, chopped broccoli), with shredded grilled chicken, a handful of cashews, and a homemade dressing of olive oil, herbs, and a lemon slice.

I am in UK and made myself eat breakfast within an hour of getting up. I feel achy and grumpy today and I put that down to way too much wheat and sugar over the past week. 

Breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil (not sure about the taste but I will get used to it) with some Parma ham. 

Lunch will be a large mixed salad with compliant smoked salmon (not seen any mention of smoked fish not being allowed) and home made mayo

Dinner will be lamb mince (ground lamb) made as Taste of Greece on p.264 served with tenderstem broccoli and roasted kale. 

Good luck x

My scales broke recently so I'm not weighing. I weighed at the gym last week so will use that as my start point. 

I will measure myself today - what do you all measure? Bust, waist, hips for sure and I also measure under bust, thigh, calf, wrist and upper arm.

But when I can twist my wedding ring I shall know I'm doing ok. Goal is to be able to take it off (just cos, not for any marital discord reason!).

I am in UK and made myself eat breakfast within an hour of getting up. I feel achy and grumpy today and I put that down to way too much wheat and sugar over the past week.

Breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil (not sure about the taste but I will get used to it) with some Parma ham.

Lunch will be a large mixed salad with compliant smoked salmon (not seen any mention of smoked fish not being allowed) and home made mayo

Dinner will be lamb mince (ground lamb) made as Taste of Greece on p.264 served with tenderstem broccoli and roasted kale.

Good luck x

Hi Sharyn!

I hope the aches and grumps go away soon - give yourself a week or two!

Smoked salmon is compliant, as long as it doesn't contain non-compliant ingredients. Many people mention it having sugar, so perhaps double check if you haven't already. Same with your Parma ham - I'd check for sweeteners and sulphites.

Coconut oil is something you get used to - I used to hate the taste and smell, love it now though :) You can buy refined coconut oil that has no smell/taste, so may be a better option if you don't come to like it.

Make sure you stick to the template for every meal - your breakfast had no vegetables! Sticking to the template, including plenty of fats and starchy carbs will make a difference to your energy over the first few days and in to your whole 30.

I'm starting my second round today. I did a whole30 in June and lost 9lbs. I felt more peaceful about food while doing the whole30 than I ever have in my life and its the only thing ive ever tried that allowed me to beat my sugar addiciton. I don't think I've ever gone that long without sugar at any other time in my 30 years on the planet! And on the whole, i felt better than ever but it wasn't the miracle I was hoping for. I still struggled with depression and anxiety and it even got worse during my whole30 although I never figured out if it was directly related or not. And I never got the tiger blood energy which was hugely disappointed because energy was one of my primary motivations for changing my lifestyle. So I got frustrated and quit and fell hard off the wagon. Like out of drug rehab and straight into the crack house. And naturally, I've felt worse than ever and gained back all the weight plus some. So I'm recommitting. And this time, I'm not stopping at 30 days no matter what the results. After the years of damage I've done, I think I just jumped the gun before and my body is going to take more time to heal and I need to just be patient and trust the process. I did not weigh or measure. I'm staying as far away from the scale as possible. Its a huge stumbling block for me. This is not about the weight. This is about my health and I believe that my weight will naturally fall into place in its own time, on its own schedule. I'm going to focus on the process. And I'm going to be as diligent about planning as possible. I found that that is key to success with this. I've got my meals ready, my fridge stocked. I've even got some kombucha fermenting. I'm ready!!

HI everyone, new to W30, today's day 1.  I've done sudo-paleo in the past, but nothing near this restrictive.  I am one of those veggie haters, so should be an interesting month.  Wife and I doing it together.  Sick of being fat and tired all the time, and our diet is most likely the reason for both.  I mostly finished the book, wife just starting it, but she's seen the program on the website.  She is actually the one who found it.  Breakfast today was 3 boiled eggs, an apple, snack sized bag of baby carrots. Yesterday was an unexpected work day and we didn't really shop like we planned so b'fast was just thrown together quickly, and I didn't have anything to bring for lunch, so hopefully eating out won't be too hard.

Welcome Revived!!!

I just had the horrible realization that I left my protein for my salad today at home! BUT I think I will just eat it as a PWO meal before I leave for my evening of activities.... Last time around, Day 1 wasn't so bad... days 2-5 were the hardest with the moodiness and resetting the hunger, so I will make sure to have the right amount of food tomorrow... thats what I get for rushing this morning

Make sure you stick to the template for every meal - your breakfast had no vegetables! Sticking to the template, including plenty of fats and starchy carbs will make a difference to your energy over the first few days and in to your whole 30.

Thanks for the veggie reminder. I have got into a bad habit of not eating much veg while I've been low carbing. I made up for it at lunch - my salad was huge!

Hello all,

So far so good, and why am I so nervous?   I guess I'm afraid of failure.  Had eggs, with fried onions, peppers and fresh tomatoes from my garden and coffee with coconut milk for breakfast.  Had lunch at 11:30 - huge salad with veges, 1/2 avocado, cashews, with olive oil and sea salt. Of course, I feel satisfied, although I'm used to eating snacks in between meals, and I know that snacks are not recommended on Whole30.  Just wondering if anyone else is used to between meal snacks like I am?  Also, I'm off today so life is not hectic.  Tomorrow I'm back to work so things will get a little crazy.

Day 1 Breakfast was 2 eggs scrambled with cut up left over Pork Chop (that had been fried in bacon grease) with a side of picked yesterday tomatoes.

YUM!!

Oh and my first coffee today EVER without sweetner in it :o

I guess I'm afraid of failure. 

I recently watched a bit of a video with Kelly McGonigal the author of The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It and she talked about optimists and our occurrences of failure because we don't think we're going to fail so we have no Plan B in mind. 

I admit that I am trying to not think like an optimist on this :D

*Side note - oh man, no spell check?  You're all soon going to learn what a horrid typist/speller I am!!

Actually, I just looked at the 'before' pictures that I took of myself this morning (underwear & bra ONLY) and that should be enough motivation to keep me on program.  WOW, I guess this is what happens when we don't really look at ourselves in the mirror, and never, absolutely never, allow anyone to take our picture!

It didn't take me long to break the snacking habit. Just try to make your snacks a mini meal if you really feel like you need one rather than just grazing throughout the day on fruit or nuts etc. once your body becomes fat adapted, it's easy to go hours between meals without even thinking about it. I think it was probably only a week or so till I got to that point,

Is anyone else a former Whole 30 dropout?

I had some wine on day 19 of my last attempt. That was a little over a week ago, and now I'm ready as I'll ever be to do this thing for real!

This time around, I'm REALLY trying to quit eating as I'm preparing food. You know - a spoonful of sauce, a nibble of chicken, a couple pieces of roasted vegetables as they're being dumped into the serving dish. I'm also going to focus a lot more on getting my 8 hours of sleep in.

This go around, I went ahead and forked over the $14.95 for the daily e-mails. Anyone else doing that, too? So far, so good. There's a goals worksheet included on Day 0 that really helped me set some achievable goals. That said, I'll feel better when I'm past Day 19! :blink:

I dropped my first time around due to a medical problem... I was put on a low residue (BRAT) diet for several weeks before I was finally found to have a muscles injury instead of possible GI problem. I made it to day 13 and was starting to really be in the groove, except I started to really not enjoy sweet potatoes... so this time I am ready to mix it up...

I also forked over 15 bucks for the emails... and I convince my mom to give this a try... she has been paleo for almost a year, but started getting back into her old habits...

I did just pruchase some macademia oil, coconut oil, and more ghee from Amazon with Prime shipping... little package deal they had going, so I figured I would give it a try. This time around I want to try and make my own mayo, even though it is not always my favorite. I got some compliant spices at the market over the weekend, so going to try and make some fun flavored mayos!

Archived