Starting September 9th looking for support

charleyd40

Just finished our dinner.  I made it to the store.  We made the NomNomPaleo Asian Meatballs, and her Garlic Mashed Cauliflower as well. Super great!  Both of these will be part of our usual menu.  I also steamed some carrot slices, then sauted them in half ghee, half coconut oil.  Then a little lime juice off heat.  Very successful dinner.  

VERY SUCCESSFUL DAY 4!!!!

well done Cortner. I'll look for the nomnompaleo Asian Meatball recipe. Sounds like something we would both enjoy. Luckily husband eats whatever is put in front of him. He is loving sweet potatoes with meat - not had that for the past three years as I have been following a plan that keeps fats and carbs separate. 

Onwards! 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 was a success although I just read a moderator comment that I should have had veggies as well as figs with my breakfast. Too late cos I've done the same today. But I know now and there won't be anymore figs till next year. 

Day 4 and I woke up with a thumping headache. Detox time :) I've taken a couple of tablets which I don't like doing but I need to get through this and make it to day 30+. I have also noticed positive changes in the toilet department (sorry if TMI). 

So today?

Breakfast of 3 fried eggs in olive oil, 3 figs and half an avocado. Too late I read that I should have had veggies too. 

Lunch - going to the cinema at 1pm so will take some chunky raw veg, last night's leftover pork tenderloin and the other half avocado. No mayo left as I have run out of eggs (hubby is popping into the farm to get some on his way home) so this meal is a bit light on fat. Will take some macadamia nuts to make that up. 

Dinner - something with chicken breasts. Loads of veggies to choose from. 

A question about Eating Fats on Shopping List. I like Avocado Oil and Hazelnut Oil drizzled on salads and veg. Is this ok? I think it should be but want to check. 

Have a good day fellow 9/9ers

Day 3 was a success although I just read a moderator comment that I should have had veggies as well as figs with my breakfast. Too late cos I've done the same today. But I know now and there won't be anymore figs till next year.

Day 4 and I woke up with a thumping headache. Detox time :) I've taken a couple of tablets which I don't like doing but I need to get through this and make it to day 30+. I have also noticed positive changes in the toilet department (sorry if TMI).

So today?

Breakfast of 3 fried eggs in olive oil, 3 figs and half an avocado. Too late I read that I should have had veggies too.

Lunch - going to the cinema at 1pm so will take some chunky raw veg, last night's leftover pork tenderloin and the other half avocado. No mayo left as I have run out of eggs (hubby is popping into the farm to get some on his way home) so this meal is a bit light on fat. Will take some macadamia nuts to make that up.

Dinner - something with chicken breasts. Loads of veggies to choose from.

A question about Eating Fats on Shopping List. I like Avocado Oil and Hazelnut Oil drizzled on salads and veg. Is this ok? I think it should be but want to check.

Have a good day fellow 9/9ers

Avo and hazelnut oil are fine :)

Do you have a copy of the meal template? I wasn't sure as you didn't seem to be aware about vegies at every meal, so I've attached the link :)

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

My favorite "veggie hash" is thin-sliced cabbage with chopped onion and grated sweet potatoes. It's so good. I used to always use Brussels sprouts, but the cabbage is so much cheaper and tastes just as good in this dish!

I eat veggie hash with eggs over-easy every day. Anyone else have good veggies-for-breakfast tips?

Also, day 4! Yay!

Welcome Day 4 - I do not want to Kill ALL things - I think I'm still in Day 3 hangover.

Worst sleep yet last night - woke up several times and at one point logged into the CrossFit gym website and cancelled going today, will use it as a rest day.  I think I'll go tomorrow and take Sat and Sun as rest days as well, so that will be Tue, Wed, Fri this week - just 3 days.

Time to soldier on and get to work

Have a good day all!!

Barb

Day 4!

I didn't sleep so well last night and had a LONG night of teacing dance last night (3 classes, age ranges 3-8) so I was a tired pup this morning. I set my alarm for a run, but heeded the advice of my day 3 email and took the extra sleep. I have 2.5 hours of teaching dance and choreographing at the gymnastics place tonight. This is only my second week of the new dance season and I added working at the gymnastics, place, so i think I need to get into the swing of things, so am not being so hard on myself for taking it easy this week.

Had two pork chops, broccoli , and some avocado last night for dinner.

Breakfast today is 2 eggs muffins.

@ Barb E- I have plans for boot camp class tomorrow morning, will see how I sleep tonight.

@ Carrot-Flowers- that hash sounds good

@Sharyn- I left my figs at home! I have plans for them tonight

@Cortner- will have to try those recipes too!

Have a good day 4 everyone

I eat veggie hash with eggs over-easy every day. Anyone else have good veggies-for-breakfast tips?

~~~

My breakfast every morning consists of diced onion, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, parsnips, kale, and compliant chicken-apple sausage sauteed in coconut oil. So good!

@carrot_flowers ooh, I'm gonna try the cabbage thing. What kind of oil do you use? I've been having these nomnom paleo egg muffins in the morning and I'm already over them. The whole idea was to make a big batch and then reheat them which is super convenient but it's just not really doing it for me. Do you think the hash does well if you make a bunch ahead of time and reheat portions? Do you reheat it in the pan with the eggs?

I was running for awhile and it was a love hate relationship. I love that runner's high. Love love love it. When I feel like I had a good run, it's the best feeling ever. But I also experienced a whole lot of beating myself up when I felt like I was running slower or whatever. But on the whole, I felt great when I was doing it consistently and I really want to get back to it. But there's actually a lot of people in the paleo community who say that running, especially long distance running is actually unhealthy. I hope that doesn't rock your boat too much - truly not trying to start an argument going. There's a lot of compelling research though about the effects of cortisol etc. Everday Paleo has several informative podcasts and blog posts on the topic. So I don't think I'm going to put as much emphasis on it this time around when I do get back to exercising. I think I'll keep my distances to 5ks. I really want to get into hiking which is something I enjoy but haven't done very much. And I'd like to make sprints part of my fitness routine which is something Everyday Paleo encourages. I also want to focus more on strength training which I always end up slacking on but am more and more convinced that's the direction I need to go. And i plan to keep doing Zumba once or twice a week just cuz I freaking love it!

But right now, I have no energy at all. I'm a sign language interpreter which is a whole lot of sitting on my rear end all day but it is actually pretty mentally exhausting. When I get home, I'm spent and I don't even have energy to put into necessary tasks like dinner. I just want to lay in my bed! And I have a 3 and 5 year old so functioning in this way is just not going to fly. Im 30 years old for crying out loud! Surely this isnt normal even for a mother with 2 small children. But I've exhausted (no pun intended) all my resources trying to figure out what my problem is. And so far the doctors have come up with nothing and my insurance is maxed and I'm too broke to keep trying different tests. So right now I'm trying to get my eating and sleeping to be as near perfect as I can which does help about 15%. and not give up when 30 days of that doesn't turn me into superwoman. Hopefully, I just need more time. Sorry to hijack the thread with that rant. If anyone has tips or suggestions, besides things that involve going back to the doctor which I just can't afford to do anymore at this point, I'd love to hear them!

I started 9/9 too, and started an eating disorder support group same time.  At the first meeting I bonded with a recovered drug addict.  We both struggle from severe depression.  I think you sound really focused on the right priorities.  Know that you are not alone - in things other than just getting through all the veggies for 30, 45, 60+ days!  I send you my support in all things!  Do you have NAMI in your area? They have some amazing support groups for mental health, as well.  I strongly recommend.  It is SO helpful.

Thanks for that. I did a quick google search for nami yesterday in my area and it seems to be focused on parents of children with mental illness. Is that the case where you are? A support group might be helpful. I do have an extremely supportive husband and group of friends but as they don't suffer from mental illness, I still often feel so isolated. I have one good friend that's older and wiser and has a history of severe depression and anxiety but is in a much better place now and talking to her is so comforting and relieving but she lives on another continent (although is possibly moving here soon). There are a lot of times when I feel like I'm literally going crazy and wish I had someone to talk to that really understood, especially someone who is trying to better their situation using nutrition like I am.

~~~

My breakfast every morning consists of diced onion, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, parsnips, kale, and compliant chicken-apple sausage sauteed in coconut oil. So good!

Yum! Do you chop the veg at the beginning of the week? What's your process? I love that sausage! I had some this morning, too! :)

@carrot_flowers ooh, I'm gonna try the cabbage thing. What kind of oil do you use? I've been having these nomnom paleo egg muffins in the morning and I'm already over them. The whole idea was to make a big batch and then reheat them which is super convenient but it's just not really doing it for me. Do you think the hash does well if you make a bunch ahead of time and reheat portions? Do you reheat it in the pan with the eggs?

I chop/slice/shred all the veggies up on Sundays and sauté in coconut oil every morning. It does tack about 20 min onto my morning routine, though. Next week, I am going to try to make a HUGE batch of the veggie hash, portion it for the week, and microwave it every day. We'll see how it holds up over 5 days of fridge time. I've re-heated extras in the past and it's still tasty :) I love fried eggs, but hate scrambled. I did omelets for a while, and then I did the egg muffin thing. Those times were trying because I really could barely choke down the eggs prepared that way. It takes a little longer, but I love runny yolks on some veggie hash. My other favorite breakfast is a huge spinach salad with fruit, chicken, and balsamic. I've been Paleo for almost a year, and I have definitely embraced the veggies-for-breakfast. Can't do without them now.

Re: running, I feel ya. I've been going back and forth on whether or not I should run for distance, and ultimately, it's something that I truly enjoy 90% of the time. I used to run six days a week, and I'm working on cutting back to three or four. I, too, struggle with adding weight training and sprinting. Sometimes I'm really good about it, and other times, not so much. *Sigh* Such a struggle! The important thing to remember is that we're making a concerted effort, and that's half the battle.

I know what you mean about juggling a million things. I'm a single mom of a 3-year-old daughter, work full-time, try to work out daily, and cook all meals at home. Trying to get 8 hours of sleep is definitely a challenge. There are many warnings about this week's Whole 30 side effects being lethargy, and their advice it to sleep it off! Don't kill yourself trying to be Super Woman this week, girl. Hopefully next week will show you some returned energy :)

@ Revived- Sounds like you are on the right track with the sleeping and the whole 30 to get to a place where you arent so exhausted. I know you said you have maxed out your insurance and had some tests done, did they ever check your potassium levels?

I felt run down for a long time on and off a few years ago and it was found that i sometimes have Hypokalemia (Low potassium). I simply try to eat right and I can definetly tell when I am not getting the right stuff to eat. May not be the reason you are feeling so tired all the time, but it is something that knocks me on my butt when it happens....

As for the LONG runs, one of my friends is paleo and we get into discussions about my Ultra running versus his 3 miles. I really enjoy running, it makes me feel great. I know that ultras are especially taxing on te body and in the past few years I dont run nearly as many a year as I used to... When not training for the long races, I normally stick to 3-5 miles s day. I also powerlift with a trainer, take 3 hours of dance (hiphop, lyrical, ballet) a week and teach 12 hours of dance. I am starting cardio boot camp classes in the morning to get me jump started to morning workouts, so 2-3 days of running a week will be replaced with it for about 6-8 weeks.

and I agree with @Carrot_flowers- Don't kill yourself this week! I know its hard, especially when we are all used to being superwomen! with kids and their activities, plus work, and trying to do everything in between... not enough hours in the day!

Here's an article/blog post i read on cardio that was pretty compelling to me.  Again, not in anyway trying to stir the pot with this.  I've found that it can be pretty controversial in the fitness world.  I'm personally not trying to convert anyone one way or another but this definitely got me thinking a bit differently so just thought I would share.  

http://everydaypaleo.com/friends-dont-let-friends-do-cardio/

And yeah, I'm definitely taking it easy this week and giving myself permission to feel tired but the thing is I ALWAYS feel tired like this.  I'm not used to being superwoman.  In fact, I feel guilty because my amazingly awesome husband picks up a lot of my slack.  I feel terrible about it but I can't seem to help it!  I just can't make myself do things.  I can usually struggle though the absolute essentials like doing the dishes but he does the bulk of things that need done around the house and we both work full time.  On the weekends, i feel a bit better because i sleep in till 8 usually so i try to catch up but we are very involved with our church group and that eats a lot of weekend time so i never end up getting really on top of life.  It's not normal to get 8 hours of sleep, work a full day (mostly sitting but lots of higher thought processing) and come home at 4 and be just done.  Like once i sit down, its really hard to make myself get back up.  I feel so GUILTY!!  Like how do people do this??  Go to work, come home, make and eat dinner, hit the gym or do a workout, engage with the kids, get the kids ready for bed, get yourself ready for the next day and get 8 hours of sleep??  It just doesnt even seem possible to me but yet i know people do this .... or at least they say they do on facebook. ha!

I'm not sure about potassium to be honest. I do eat bananas and sweet potatoes almost daily or even a couple times a day so that should do it shouldnt it?   I should really ask my doctor for a copy of my bloodwork.  I dont understand anything about it. I have no idea what the words on the page mean.  I really dont know what was and wasnt tested.  I know he did the first, standard panel and then went back and did a second round of different stuff and everything was well within normal range.  I know my thyroid was normal.  I've had that tested like 5 times at different places because everyone always says that.  But its not.

I've also suspected it could be from my IUD.  I have the copper one and I've read some stuff about the side effects of copper in the body but my gyno looked at me like i was kooky when i brought it up.  But someone one here suggested that I check my copper and zinc levels and I've also heard to check iodine.  

But as i said, i cant afford to check it even if i wanted to.  Same goes for anti depressants.  i HATE anti depressants but i agreed to try welbutrin because it woks differently than most and i thought maybe the fatigue was just a manifestation of the depression and i think it helped a little but it didn't do much for my anxiety and i ended up having an allergic reaction so i gave up and now I'm not taking anything.  I cant afford to keep experimenting. 

My mom is the same way.  Could it just be hereditary?  She was always tired when I was growing up, it seemed like she was always sleeping but I attributed it to not taking care of herself.  She was a pretty heavy party-er.  I am not a party-er at all but i see so many similarities.  I dont know... i get so frustrated but it seems like my only choices right now are to try to do the best i can with food and sleep, keep looking for answers online and just accept it, try to do the best i can.  Like i said before, I'm just hoping that after a few or several months of not deviating, ill see a difference because i definitely didnt see one after 30 days.  

anyway... i probably sound so miserable but im actually not.  just frustrated.  sorry if im harshing the vibe in here but thanks for the support! 

Here's an article/blog post i read on cardio that was pretty compelling to me.  Again, not in anyway trying to stir the pot with this.  I've found that it can be pretty controversial in the fitness world.  I'm personally not trying to convert anyone one way or another but this definitely got me thinking a bit differently so just thought I would share.  

My mom is the same way.  Could it just be hereditary?  She was always tired when I was growing up, it seemed like she was always sleeping but I attributed it to not taking care of herself.  She was a pretty heavy party-er.  I am not a party-er at all but i see so many similarities.  

I'll definitely look at the article - seems interesting. I have experienced very few body changes this time around on Whole 30 (I was compliant for 20 days last time around), and I wonder if my lack of non-cardio exercise could be to blame.

I think your heredity is huge, but I agree that it has so much do with taking care of yourself. I am REALLY HOPEFUL that you will see an improvement in 30 days!

@ revived - have you been checked for anaemia? That can make you lethargic and energyless. 

I am hoping that by the end of Whole 30 I shall be bounding around like Tigger. That would be so good. I was my fittest ever (not slimmest) at age 52 but at 59½ I am so aware that I mustn't slow down too much or I'll lose ability for ever. 

We CAN rock this x

@ revived, those test results can be like reading another language! Thanks for the article, very interesting read.... No stirring up anything with me, I like to lift heavy things and mix up my routines, so its good to have that article as a reminder!

Got my coconut oil, mac but oil, and some more ghee in the mail yesterday... got a nice packge deal on amazon with my prime and it was way cheaper than driving to my local place that would carry all those things...

@sharyn- I am hoping to get some tiger blood as well!

Hi everyone, I just started yesterday Sept 11th, would love the support.  This is the first time for me doing Whole 30.  A couple of my friends have done it and had good success.  After all these years of abusing my body, I need to get rid of the sugar and the processed foods.  It will be nice to have support here.

Hi.. I think I'm around the same time as you guys as well.. bit hard to tell with the time difference (I'm in New Zealand).. but I'm currently into day 3... bit of a headache but otherwise feeling ok actually...! Although did do quite a bit of snacking yesterday afternoon (cashew nuts and apples) and I know they advise against that.. 

also had fresh pineapple and orange for 'pudding'.. is that bad?

Anyway.. going to try a couple of new recipes tonight and tomorrow from blogs that they recommend.. a cauli 'rice' salad and a chicken soup....

Bye for now xx

I personally don't understand the need to run. why run a few miles away from home just because, then run back? I don't get it!! I do as little cardio as possible. I haven't done any since October, but starting a new program to prep for comps and will be doing 1 HIIT session a week (20 mins)...

Yum! Do you chop the veg at the beginning of the week? What's your process? I love that sausage! I had some this morning, too! :)

~~~

On the weekend I dice a couple sweet potatoes and parsnips, slice up a package of sausages, and chop a bunch of kale. I also buy bagged, diced, frozen onions and bell peppers! That usually lasts me 3 or 4 days. (I make each day's breakfast fresh.) Then once during the week I repeat the chopping process.

Good morning Day 5 and Friday

I'm happy that I chose this timeframe to do my first Whole30.  Our family (Siblings) have season football tickets for Oregon State Universtity (Beavs, NOT the ducks!) and we choose the games we'll attend ahead of time.  I am not going to a game this month

:)

Tomorrow my watch at home with buddies are both out of town so I don't have to face that whole thing.

Hardest thing yesterday?

Cigarette cravings (I actually quit on April 1, 2013) - I assume in part because I'm no longer turning to food in moments of high stress!

Happy Friday all!!

:)

Day 4 was good - until 9pm. Hubby and I had a row. Rows are very very rare and this was a full blown proper row. The worst in our 25 years together :'(  I was making valid points about my 60th birthday next year and he wasn't taking them on board. He puts the kids he trains for a local hiking challenge before me. Always. Just once I wanted to be put first. But 'no'. I have compromised again and we will go away after my birthday rather than be away for it :(  Last night's sleep was not so good! But as I lay awake I thought about the newsletter for Day 2 (I'm running behind on these) and the 'Kill Anything' message. Maybe? Who knows but I still feel miffed that I had to compromise. 

Anyway - sorry about that. Back to Whole 30. 

Day 5 started well when I woke up hungry. First time I have been really hungry for breakfast for a long time. I was glad of the veggies I saved from supper last night. I added the chopped flesh of a sweet potato and 2 beaten eggs. Cooked it on olive oil in the middle of a large pan like a big Bubble & Squeak. Managed to turn it over and added a couple of rashers of bacon (sugar and nitrate free). Served with a big blob of a new batch of mayo. The mayo disguised the coconut taste from the leftover veggies. Great success and it was big!! But I wasn't stuffed afterwards.

Lunch was canned tuna on a bed of romaine lettuce with aubergine and tomato salad with a lime/oil dressing and some olives. I also had a 1/4 of a small melon with some coconut milk. Boy that stuff is thick! And gorgeous. Care will be needed :)

Dinner will be Coronation Chicken with a large mixed salad and homemade mayo. 

No exercise apart from a bit of housework as I am very tired today. Luckily not at work. Will spend the afternoon knitting. 

Onwards!

Day 5 is going well... I had a moment yesterday when I didnt want to eat my sweattpotatoe, veggie, ground turkey lunch... I was "full", I ate 85% of it and then turned to my fruit for the day a Necterine. It was so good and I realized that I will need to mix it up some, because the same meals arent appealing...So last night I made my first batch of paleo mayo to have something different. I used my blender and it took like 5 minutes... I was very impressed with myself.... and then I added some chives, adobo seasoning, black pepper and put a few dollops with some cucumbers and onions and I was in eating heaven again. Gone was my desire not to eat! My faith in good food has been renwed!

Had a long night, did 3 hours of teaching dance and new routines at the Gymnastics place. Tonight I have 2 hours of Hiphop to teach, 2 classes, each with 9 kids or more in them. I took our day 3 email of going half intense this week to heart, even though it was hard for me to step back, I am glad I did. I am healing well and am trying to take it easy when teaching dance, but I did some leaps and extensions last night and my ribs were a bit sore. So, Next week I will only add back 3 or my 6 days of activities and see how i fare. My goal is to be ready to lift again on Oct 7th... so I got my eye on the prize, even if I have to take it easy for the next few weeks!

Archived