Starting September 9th looking for support

charleyd40

and then I added some chives, adobo seasoning, black pepper and put a few dollops with some cucumbers and onions and I was in eating heaven!

Uh... This sounds freaking delicious. What did you have it with again? The ground turkey stuff? I think I need to whip some of this up today!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@sharynF I know I'm extra rage-y right now. Every time my kids whine (which is like every 2-3 minutes), I can feel my blood pressure rising. Sorry you had an argument though. That's no good.

As far as food goes, I'm doing pretty well. I'm not eating enough because we haven't been able to get to the grocery store but I'm definitely. Not starving and I'm trying to follow the template so I'm not worried about it. My plan is to go tonight and have a cook up for the week tomorrow. My husband is working though and my kids will be stuck at home with me, climbing the walls so hopefully that doesn't slow me down too much. The first time I did this was during the summer and I wasn't working and I was overwhelmed by how much work everything is but I'm definitely seeing how much planning and prepping ahead makes a difference. I'm sleeping awesome and getting enough but I'm still not ready for the alarm to go off. I feel like I'm moving in slow motion in the mornings. But on the whole, besides being tired, which is standard, I feel good. No cravings. I'm very content. I'm not pining after ice cream or anything. My mood is good for the most part. I don't feel bloated no disgusting. It's definitely easier the second time around!

Uh... This sounds freaking delicious. What did you have it with again? The ground turkey stuff? I think I need to whip some of this up today!

I actually had it with some grilled salmon... was OMG delicious and made the world a better place last night... I defineitly think I skimped on fats yesterday...

@sharynF I know I'm extra rage-y right now. Every time my kids whine (which is like every 2-3 minutes), I can feel my blood pressure rising. Sorry you had an argument though. That's no good.

As far as food goes, I'm doing pretty well. I'm not eating enough because we haven't been able to get to the grocery store but I'm definitely. Not starving and I'm trying to follow the template so I'm not worried about it. My plan is to go tonight and have a cook up for the week tomorrow. My husband is working though and my kids will be stuck at home with me, climbing the walls so hopefully that doesn't slow me down too much. The first time I did this was during the summer and I wasn't working and I was overwhelmed by how much work everything is but I'm definitely seeing how much planning and prepping ahead makes a difference. I'm sleeping awesome and getting enough but I'm still not ready for the alarm to go off. I feel like I'm moving in slow motion in the mornings. But on the whole, besides being tired, which is standard, I feel good. No cravings. I'm very content. I'm not pining after ice cream or anything. My mood is good for the most part. I don't feel bloated no disgusting. It's definitely easier the second time around!

Glad to hear you are sleeping awesome! And yay for no cravings!!!

To both you and SharynF I understand the rage thing, first time around I literally had to bite my tongue to not get out of hand at work., Although I can honestly say that my rage and "carb" hangover feelings are WAY WAY less this time around then when I started before.  I had some serious cravings last night, which I didnt have the first time around... like for pizza rolls.... I dont normally eat pizza rolls... but all in all, the 2nd time around the first week wasnt as harsh. I know my food cravings were due to a lack of FAT in my day yesterday. I slept SO MUCH better last night and feel better this morning.

Checking in On day 3 today, last night dinner out at PF changs went ok, had the gluten free ginger chicken with broccoli and sauteed spinach, was not very hungry.  I was extremely tired and ready for bed about 7.  Going to the store to get a few more items, today will make the mayo, had coconut milk in my coffee, pretty good, half a sweet potatoe and two eggs fried in coconut oil and half an avocodo. Yummy.  Have a great day everyone.  

Hi everyone.  Yesterday Sept 12 was my day 1. 

We've been trying to do low carb in my family since the beginning of the summer but I found it hard to enforce for myself and my family.  Luckily I discovered Paleo during my research, which led me to Whole30.  I am a yo-yo dieter and have terrible eating habits.  I have two special needs ADHD children in kindergarten and I have a very demanding husband who is mentally abusive toward me about my weight.

I am 5'7", My current weight is 165, I'm happiest with my own looks and health at 145, and I've been fighting these 20 lbs for the entirety of my adult life.  I also have chronic aches and pains that I have had my entire life - hence the "ahh haa" moment when I found that my aches and pains disappeared when I went on a grain-free dairy-free diet over Christmas.

I find I need accountability.  I have a stressful life with the children, my husband, and my job as a graveyard-shift emergency veterinarian.  Lots of reasons to fall off the wagon.  I have paid thousands of dollars in my lifetime to personal trainers and nutritionists to help hold me accountable.  I love the concept of 30 days.  I think I can do that!  Trying to find the time to make delicious meals that my husband and children will eat, and trying to send school lunches that are Whole30 is going to be a challenge.  I cleaned out my cabinets yesterday.

Thanks for listening!

Greetings to all - we've made it through the work week! :D

I'm on round 2 (first round lasting 19 days), with only 9 days "off," during which I was probably 85% compliant, so this time around is WAY easier. My body is already accustomed to the fuel change, and I've found the sweet spot as far as foods and food prep is concerned. Overall, I feel freaking great!

I even went on a pretty fast-paced run after work yesterday, and it felt great.  Yeah, yeah, running is bad; I get it. For me, though, running is my release, my therapy, my meditation time, my time to listen to music, my alone time, and I love it. And for as awful for you as running supposedly is, my body feels and looks great since I became a runner over 2 years ago, so I'm not about to give it up. I LOVE RUNNING. If I could gain the same pleasure from walking, I'd probably switch it up, but I loathe walking. There's something truly divine about running that I can't find in any other kind of exercise. That said, I'm adding a goal to my Whole 30, which is to add body-weight training into my exercise routine at least 3 times a week. For me, this means some hardcore Jillian Michaels. Ha. I do love those videos, though. :)

Made balsamic pot roast with onions last night and ate some for lunch today with sweet potatoes. Die. Heaven. So good.

Good luck into the weekend! Remember the power of club soda and lime! Fizzy = festive, for me at least!

Argh, I hate to say it but I'm down for the count at the moment;

A.) Despite all efforts I have officially come down with either the flu or the cold from hell or the plague as of last night. (It is not just the sugar dragon - unless the sugar dragon brings forth a chest that feels full of nettles and a fever and terrible sore throat). On top of having my period. Oh it's just a lovely time over here in this body!

B.) my grandfather passed away this morning from complications caused by mesothelioma.

So, unfortunately whole30 is on hold for me until these priorities are taken care of and the dust settles. I just dont want to have to think about it for the next few days. If all goes well, I be back on deck full force next week sometime. Good luck everyone, I hope it goes well and Im looking forward to starting up again soon.

Someone I know via a dog board is a hardcore runner -when she posts pictures of where she runs I have to admit, if I lived where she did, I'd run too!

NY State in the country - it's beautiful!!!

Dont you live in Oregon? Pretty beautiful state too. I live in Spokane Wa. Love to run. But, I suck at it. What can I say. I am slow, and havinga really hard time coming back with any consistency.

Day 6 for me is half done. I feel good. I slept well last night. I still need a rest in the afternoon. I can push through it, but I feel better with 20 minutes off my feet.

B better today, one egg, one chicken sausage, mixed veggies, and 1/2 of a small sweet potato, 1/2 avocado

L leftover cauli rice, and asian meatballs, macadamia nuts, grapes

D large taco salad with homemade meat, guacamole, and salsa, kale chips

Camping whole 30 style should be interesting.

I found recipes on line for compliant sriracha sauce, and ketchup. This will be huge in our house. Those items are bigger than mayo.

:)  I do live in Oregon and things don't get much more beautiful than here - but I live in the city where my friend lives in the country and runs on country lanes and trails and *Sigh*

I feel better today than I did yesterday - but due to tweaking a muscle in my back/shoulder/neck I've decided no CrossFit today or tomorrow *Sob*

I'm hoping that I simply moved into day 6-7 early and skipped kill all things and that I'm not just delayed :lol:

Hardest thing today?

I emotion ate today - tried hard not to but got the best of me...it was however all compliant food

Onward to day 6!!

By the way, this is one of my favorite things to make - I turned a friend onto it and they make it before they go camping and then either eat it cold or wrap in foil and throw on the fire to warm

I do not sauté the greens as I like mine on the edge of raw and they cook in the bake. 

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sausage-egg-breakfast-bites/#axzz2epdREevj

I am almost done with day 2, though I am currently working a graveyard shift.  Evenings are the time that I start snacking.  There is a bag of reese's here at work.  But luckily I am only on day 2 and still fully motivated not to cheat.

For meals I am following Nom Nom Paleo's 30 day plan.  Today I made her Asian Fried Cauliflower Rice, and I made her Cheater's Pork Roast in the crock pot today.  Yesterday I made ghee.  Today I trimmed the fat off my pork roast and instead of throwing it away, reduced it to lard and saved it with my bacon grease.  Today my vat of coconut oil arrived.  Truthfully, I feel like I'm doing everything everyone has always told me not to do regarding fats.  I'm waiting for someone to say, "ha, ha, ha, the jokes on you.  Your cholesterol is 2000."

My kids ate Paleo Bolognese on spaghetti squash and loved it.

@ Cortner - I have a camping cookbook on kindle which has a recipe for boil in the bag omelettes. Put eggs, seasonings and quick cook veggies in a ziploc bag. Shake well and drop in a pan of boiling water until cooked.

I've not tried it yet but it sounds a great idea to save on washing up fry pans!

This is day 6 for me. Is this still kill all the things? My internet is out and im on my phone and cant be bothered trying to find the timeline. I am not coping well with life right now. Already had a huge crying fit this morning and I'm walking around ready to pounce on anyone. Thankfully it's nap time for my kids so I'm lying in my bed about to try some meditation/prayer after I finish my little rant here. Thankfully, I have not stuffed my feelings with food. If anyone else here suggests from depression, I'm very interested to know if you notice an increase in "episodes" either in frequency or severity. Last whole30 I had two emotional breakdowns which was pretty out of the norm and I never really figured out if they were connected to my diet or not. Apparently there's some evidence that people with low serotonin levels might be triggered from low carb eating and before you say that whole30 is not low carb- I know that. But it is less carbs than my regular diet. My gut (no pun intended) tells me that those episodes were not triggered by my change to whole30 but I can't say I'm convinced one way or the other so I'd love to hear others experiences. Especially because I seem to be experiencing a dip right now although I wouldn't call it a breakdown. The thing is I have seriously stressful life stuff going on so I'm pretty sure I'd be emotional no matter what my duet consisted of. Anyway, sorry for rambling. Happy day 6 or day whatever you're on. I'm off to meditate.

Revived - What I have noticed about food is that when I went off track from Paleo I became WAY more emotional  than when I was eating more inline with Paleo.  It's one of a few reasons I'm using the Whole30 to get back in line with how I want to eat - I realized I REALLY missed the happy, singing, smililng, laughing woman that I had been a few months ago. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the change in your diet might cause some emotional distress - If you take anything for depression you might want to speak with your doctor about changing up dose.  If you don't you might think about posting here about something that might help get over the hump.

It sounds like your life is not only stressful but also a bit complicated, have you thought about a good therapist to talk to? 

My life is much easier since adding regular visits with Dr G (One of the things he said to me my signature right now)

By the way, this is one of my favorite things to make - I turned a friend onto it and they make it before they go camping and then either eat it cold or wrap in foil and throw on the fire to warm

I do not sauté the greens as I like mine on the edge of raw and they cook in the bake. 

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sausage-egg-breakfast-bites/#axzz2epdREevj

Barb,

I will check that recipe as I am camping right now. 

We just came back from a run.  I was scheduled for five miles.  Miserable.  As runs go, just miserable.  I walked more than I ran.  I never felt like I could run, the entire time.  My quads felt extreme fatigue with every forward stride.  It was a little better the last half mile or so coming back.  Mike is going to drop me off tomorrow at the top of the hill, and then park five miles out.  Then he will run toward me, and we will finish together.  I need a positive feeling run.  Next week is six miles, then the following Friday I fly to Vegas to meet friends for a 10k.  They are walking it, but I much prefer to run.  That will mark the half way point in training for a half marathon on Dec 1st in Seattle.  

B one chicken sausage, one egg, 1/2 sweet potato, small salad with dressing, and 1 tbsp guacamole

post workout turkey breast, roasted sweet potato cubes

plan:

L salad with quacamole (1/4 avocado), fire roasted hot dog with mustard, nuts

D fire grilled steak and shrimp, roasted carrots, ??? I will see what else I have with me to go with this

@ Cortner - I have a camping cookbook on kindle which has a recipe for boil in the bag omelettes. Put eggs, seasonings and quick cook veggies in a ziploc bag. Shake well and drop in a pan of boiling water until cooked.

I've not tried it yet but it sounds a great idea to save on washing up fry pans!

We have done this for groups.  Great because everyone can put their own things in their own bag.  

This is day 6 for me. Is this still kill all the things? My internet is out and im on my phone and cant be bothered trying to find the timeline. I am not coping well with life right now. Already had a huge crying fit this morning and I'm walking around ready to pounce on anyone. Thankfully it's nap time for my kids so I'm lying in my bed about to try some meditation/prayer after I finish my little rant here. Thankfully, I have not stuffed my feelings with food. If anyone else here suggests from depression, I'm very interested to know if you notice an increase in "episodes" either in frequency or severity. Last whole30 I had two emotional breakdowns which was pretty out of the norm and I never really figured out if they were connected to my diet or not. Apparently there's some evidence that people with low serotonin levels might be triggered from low carb eating and before you say that whole30 is not low carb- I know that. But it is less carbs than my regular diet. My gut (no pun intended) tells me that those episodes were not triggered by my change to whole30 but I can't say I'm convinced one way or the other so I'd love to hear others experiences. Especially because I seem to be experiencing a dip right now although I wouldn't call it a breakdown. The thing is I have seriously stressful life stuff going on so I'm pretty sure I'd be emotional no matter what my duet consisted of. Anyway, sorry for rambling. Happy day 6 or day whatever you're on. I'm off to meditate.

Stay strong.  I think the time line is only a suggestion.  We are all going to have to go through this at our own pace.  I have been pretty depressed in the past six months or so.  Lots of stress.   A failed year of training for an iron man, a huge injury, the summer off due to surgery, and the list goes on.  On the up side, I have noticed myself feeling a little less stressed, a little more "up" the last couple days.  That is after my huge crash on Tuesday night.   My husband was a saint during said crash.  So I am hopeful that I will see a smiling, happier, me soon.  

I believe you can do this.  One step at a time.  Just keep moving forward, and don't forget to look in the mirror and give yourself some verbal credit for the good things you are doing for yourself right now.  

Archived