slow cooking meat in the crock pot

Lizitea

I tend to be cooking fattier meats and meats with bones these days.  They are almost all pastured/grass-fed.  I only add veggies and seasonings.

Leaner meats simply don't respond as well for me.  I might add bone broth with these and/or cook for less time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did my first chicken in the crock pot.  Fairly small, free-range bird.  I quartered a lemon and stuffed the cavity with it, and I slid a few slivers of garlic under the skin of the breast, that's all.  It came out beautifully!  Falling off the bone (good, because I wanted it for curried chicken salad for lunches this week).  The broth was fabulous!  It was just enough to fill a big coffee mug, so I sipped it like bone broth while I picked the carcass.  I love how little fat is in the broth of free-range poultry.  Instead of sitting in a cage gaining weight until market time, they get enough exercise to keep them properly lean.

I have a great crockpot and  the top is sealed on so I never have to add any liquids unless I want to. It's an older model of this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33967-6-Quart-Programmable/dp/B001AO2PXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378090136&sr=8-1&keywords=crockpot

I find that my other crockpot has a loose lid and I have to be careful to watch the liquids over long periods. 

Archived