Doctor venting

Rntfro5

My 4 year old had her well-checkup today and I debated about whether to tell the doctor (whom we really like and respect) about our new eating habits or not, and decided to go for it. Well of course she's not thrilled about the no grains and dairy, and all my reassurances that I'm making sure my kids are getting enough of everything they need seemed to fall on deaf ears. The best part was her insisting that they need whole grains for complex carbs and good digestion. Um, I'm pretty sure grains are like the worst thing ever for your digestive tract, and I just looked up complex carbs and virtually every vegetable the kids eat is full of them. Just frustrating. I don't want to lie to doctors about what the kids eat, but I don't want to be made to feel like a horrible parent when I KNOW that this way of eating is absolutely the healthiest thing that we can do. We're moving next month, so i guess I'll try to find a new doctor that can be supportive of what we're doing...don't know how easy that will be though. Thanks for listening:-)

I never discuss diet with a doctor (at least with an MD).  It's not worth your time to do that.  Just say they're eating healthy and getting plenty of veggies and fruits.  Really.  That said, yes, a change of doctor can be great.  I switched doctors for myself recently and discovered a whole new world of understanding.  Of course my new doc is a Naturopathic Doctor, not an MD.  I'm walkin' on the wild side now!  :lol:

In 2002 I took my 9 month old to the pediatrician and he asked me if I was still nursing (yes).  I told him I expected I would stop around her first birthday.

His response was:  If you do, you're only doing it for your own gratification.  She doesn't need to nurse anymore.

My response:  I don't recall asking you how long you recommend infants breastfeed or suggesting that I was concerned in any way.  We're just here for the immunizations, thankyouverymuch.

I think it's hard as a mom - heck hard as a human - to critically evaluate all the opinions that get thrown at you. Plenty of people would deride me for getting her shots or for not nursing her till she was 2 or 3!  But I was taught to always respectfully question authority and to do my own research.  

When my daughter was born I was very much 'alone'.  No grandmas, no girlfriends, no help.  I was an expat in London at the time.  It was a great trial by fire, when I think back on it, because I learned to trust my mother's intuition and to do due diligence in terms of questioning authority...

Look for MDs that respect or adhere to 'functional' or 'integrative' medicine. Most are MDs and many are family practitioners...

Archived