I have ADHD and the medication that I take Suppresses my hunger. I started the whole30 a couple days ago and it hasn't been to hard to control my cravings because i've been taking my medication. Yesterday I didn't take it and all I could think about was food, and I had so many cravings! Im not sure if I should continue to take my medication or not. The only problem with me not taking my medication is that its harder for me to concentrate and school starts next week. HELP!!  

Are you able to control your condition and the cravings when you're not on medication?

I think it would be best to consult with a professional, but I've read of many stories of diet choices making a huge difference to people with ADHD ....could you work with your dr at gradually reducing your medication?

• 1 month later...

I would continue taking your medication the way you normally do and just use the meal template as your guide to eating instead of your appetite. I wouldn't worry about trying to change your dosage of your meds until after you go through the W30 and consult with your doctor.

I concur. Don't go off your meds for the diet. We all lose our appetites toward the middle of this diet, so using the meal template is important for all of us.

I'm not sure you can say everyone loses their appetite half way through - I for one didn't! (And I don't understand people who don't feel like eating...)

LOL.  I lost my appetite in about day 14 but was absolutely starving on days 29 and 30.  I took one day sort of off and now am on day one of my second whole30.

My kids both have ADHD issues.  I have learned a tremendous amount about their sensitivities to food dyes, aspartame and sugar.  Luckily my kids don't like sweets, but they do like crunchy snacks.  I had to rid our entire world of food dyes and other stimulants just to make life bearable.  It is my wish to get them whole30 compliant but I am having difficulty finding foods they will eat with gusto on a daily basis.  Lunches are hard.  My son's kindergarten teacher didn't think the paleo lunch I sent him had enough food, so she supplemented him with non-compliant snack foods.

My ex had ADHD and he was like you, didn't really eat when on his meds, but certainly made up for it when he wasn't. Do you think your cravings are because your body is not getting enough nutrition when you're on your meds, and it's overcompensating? I agree with the others, eat according to the meal template and then hopefully on days when you don't take your meds your body won't be so desperate for good food!

Archived