What do you do to relax?

I just finished my second Whole30 (first about a year and a half ago) and I feel great!  My energy and clarity is good, blood sugar level and lost some weight and inches to boot (which was exciting because, despite eating primally for the last year and a half, my weight hasn't budged much and I could stand to lose a bit).

My biggest accomplishment was giving up wine. I can't tell you how huge that was and, honestly, how proud of myself I am.  I was pretty much a nightly wine drinker, and would use it to relax and manage stress. This strategy would backfire, however, since even two glasses of wine now, at my age, make me feel hazy in the morning.  I really want to continue on the path of drinking very occasionally and have set up some rules for myself so that I don't go back to that daily habit. 

One thing I noticed during my whole30 is that I started grinding my teeth at night again. I know that has to do in part to stress, stress that, perhaps, I'm feeling more now that I'm not drinking.  

I'd be grateful to hear of what you do to relax at night.  I can definitely keep myself "busy" between 6-10 and not drink, but I'm finding that relaxing I'm just not so good at. What do you do? thank you in advance!

I always read a non-fiction book in bed at night. Usually this helps relax and focus my mind on a single topic so I can sleep. I read on a kindle touch. Backlit devices are not recommended. This only backfires when it is a really really good book. 

Another idea is to take a warm bath in epson salts which will also help you sleep.

Out of curiosity, if you would not mind sharing, what kind of rules have you set up for yourself? I'm thinking of this strategy for myself since I tend to go through periods of not drinking then slip back to the daily (or near-daily) glass (or two) of wine and I'd like to try to kick this habit without giving up alcohol entirely. I too feel hazy after only 2 glasses now. I can't claim that it's an age thing (I'm only 32) but I think I'm just more sensitive to bad things in my body now that I eat cleaner than I used to.

As far as relaxation, I am getting back into tea and I like a cup of chamomile tea at night. The warmth of it is very relaxing.

My rules are no alcohol Sunday-Thursday except for a very few special occasions like Christmas, Thanksgiving, my birthday and my anniversary.  No Sunday football games, no BBQs or B-day parties, etc.  We have a lot of those. We have one Sunday, and I've already made plans not to drink, so that is progress. If I do have a drink on a Friday or Saturday, I have to have the drink. No reading or watching a movie while I'm drinking, which leads to mindless consumption.  That's all I've come up with so far.

I'm wondering now if my question isn't so much about what to do to relax, but how to cope with stress and anxiety without alcohol. If I think about it, I probably started drinking in the evenings after 9-11.  I moved to NYC right before it happened and was alone and very stressed.  I didn't do it every night and have had long periods when I don't, but it is my "go to" when I need to unwind.  I think what I need to think about is what to do alternatively when I'm stressed.

To relax, I practice breathing, yoga, beautiful place, and a journal.  I'd like to make one of these (or more) part of a daily routine.  Breathing is one of the easy ones to do at any time.  I recently saw a yoga routine that is meant to do in bed, at bedtime.  I found it activating, but liked the idea a lot.

We did 30 days of dancing everday a few months back.  Maybe we could commit to something similar for 30 days.

What sorts of things do you think you might have used before moving to NYC?

For me, a daily mindfulness practice helps.  These days, that's either yoga, a body scan or focused breathing.

I've found a body scan especially helpful when I'm trying to fall asleep at night.  You mentally move through your body slowly, one part at a time, zeroing in on each body part, noticing the life in it.  I don't think I've ever finished - I fall asleep somewhere in the process.  :) 

Another ongoing habit that helps me manage stress is working out at the gym. I feel best when I get at least 4 days in a week: 2 cardio and 2 strength training.

These are great ideas!  I used to do a lot of yoga, and I do find that very relaxing.  Another thing I've been doing is taking the dogs for a nice long walk down by the water. It is beautiful and I enjoy seeing the shore birds.

I have not yet had a drink since my whole30 completed, which I'm happy about.  Strangely, knowing that I can, now that my whole30 is over, is making it somewhat harder.  If need be, I might implement another whole 30 or a no-alcohol for 30.  Ideally, I'd love to reincorporate alcohol into my life, but it might not be in the cards for me. That sucks, but it is life.  It is like sugar:  I can take it or leave it, others can't. Is it fair? No.  But I need to do what is best for me.

Bathtime before bed is my special treat when I need to relax. I've ground my teeth straight through since college, so I wear a nightguard when I sleep for my teeth. We have an independent soap making place in town that has some fantastic bath salts and milk bubble baths. Next time, though, hubby isn't allowed to draw the bath because he dumped in about 5 baths' worth of bubble bath into the tub (the whole bag, before he read "add 2 tbsp to bath"). Ridiculous amounts of bubbles!

a book, a cup of bone broth (or tea), maybe some time on the Ipad or computer.  If I watch any TV, which I usually have very little time for, i'll get on the floor with a foam roller, and roll out the knots in my hamstrings, quads and calves.  It feels pretty good and can be relaxing.

I've taken to knitting socks....  It's kind of mindless knitting for the most part - unless you're working on the heel or the toe. I love Tazo's Calm tea at night.  It will wind me right down.

No teeth grinding here but constantly and consistently feel anxious.  Alcohol only ups the anxiety for me.

Just an update:  I let work and personal stress really get to me this week and completely fell off the wagon, not with food but with wine.  It made me realize that I need to start another whole 30 right away and give myself more time to implement new strategies for dealing with stress. And I may need to say goodbye permanently to wine.  It may be for me that this is something that is too triggering, just as sugar is for some.  It stinks, but that's life.  

I gave up wine for my Whole100 at the beginning of the year and still haven't added it back.  So I've been alcohol free for over 8 months.  Initially I didn't know if I could even do 100 days, because I never had.  Now I just don't want it.  I go to parties and I'm happy with a soda and lime.  I like waking up without that sluggish feeling more than I like the wine.

I gave up wine for my previous 3 W30s and always went back.  Maybe I needed to stay away that long to fully feel the positive benefits of abstinence and learn new coping skills.

I'm not sure what I did for stress relief in its place.  Partially, this way of eating long-term has resulted in far fewer mood swings for me, so I'm on a more even keel and things don't affect me as strongly.  Waking up tired from even one glass made my frustration threshold far lower than it needed to be.  Being well rested helps.  But a mug of herbal tea works also.  I found I didn't need the wine as much as I needed to allow  myself to just sit and decompress.  When I was drinking, I would sit with a glass of wine, replay the stressful parts of my day in my head, figure out what I could do differently, rehearse better ways of handling conflict, say mean things in my mind to the people who ticked me off, whatever it took to blow off the steam.  When I stopped drinking, I stopped that decompression ritual as well.  When I added it back with a cup of tea, it worked for me.  The substance in my glass doesn't matter as much as the time to unwind.

Your post is very helpful, Maryann:  thank you!  I think that you're right:  it isn't necessarily about the beverage, but about allowing for the decompression to happen.  I'm going to work on that over the course of the next 30 days.  I, too, notice that just one or two glasses of wine really make me feel groggy in the morning. Probably did before my whole30 too, but now I'm very aware of it, and awareness is,  of course, what this whole process is about!

After several Whole30s over the last couple years, and after a food allergy blood test, I know for certain wine is not my friend. The one food allergy that came up blazing was yeast, and I had suspected that for a few years given the itchy throat and ears I'd wake up with after drinking wine the night before. Perhaps the amount of sugar in wine, plus the tannins or whatever else there is, makes wine the one alcohol I can easily over drink. It's also the one alcohol I wake up from the next morning feeling hazy and crappy. I'm doing a Whole30 right now, but when I'm not, I've started shifting alcohol from wine to quality liquors. I'll make little craft cocktails at home with my fiance. I tend to not want more than one of those, and even if I do have two, I definitely don't feel as bad the next morning as I do with wine. I realize this isn't actually offering you help for during the week, BUT, I wanted to commiserate with you on the wine bender =) 

Thank you for the commiseration! I think the sugar/tannins combo is part of it for me too. I suppose that hard alcohol is one option, but for now, I'm going to just abstain for at least another 30 days and see what I learn.  One thing that I have learned already, is that a surprisingly little amount of alcohol affects my sleep and my spirit the next day, which is something good to be aware of it. It just  may not make the "worth it" category for me anymore.

• 1 year later...

Archived