Paleo Enthusiast Starts Whole30

sdwrage

Hey everyone. Starting whole 30 to reset my bodies emotional and physical connection to food. Far too often my entire day is driven off of what next tasty meal is over the horizon. The hours in between feel like murderous fillers where I am either forced to wait or I break and snack on something bad (a gas station beef jerky or some chips). I also love my alcoholic beverages and at one point was drinking nearly every night (for about two weeks). I used to do paleo pretty decently (about 19 out of 21 meals out of the week were paleo). I crave sugary food/drink, various types of gourmet breads, and enjoy a drink a few nights a week now. 

My wife and I recently had our first son come into the world and throughout her pregnancy I literally could not cook chicken with seasonings. She got physically nauseous and I eventually caved and went back to the typical american diet. We were eating out more, I was drinking more, and genuinely starting to feel like crap. I was about 175 at the peak of my Paleo diet and exercise and then over the course of about a year (my son is now 7 months old) I am nearing 190. My sleep schedule is out of whack (sleeping about 9 hours a night and going to bed at about 4 AM), I feel tired most of the day, I can't focus on the work I need to get done for my clients and I don't feel confident in my body enough to go out with friends most times. 

I am hoping Whole30 helps me to get my life back and break the mental/physical/emotional bonds that my food and drink create. Today... is day one :) After whole30 I will be moving towards Lacto-Paleo (Primal) diet and allowing myself some aged cheeses (aged cheese is lower in lactose and sometimes non-existent). Only foods I seem to have trouble with are eggs as they tend to upset my stomach. I will continue to eat them though for the sake of whole30.

I am currently lucky to have my wife and brother jumping on board with this and planning meals together. I feel it will create an air of accountability and an avenue of communication that will let us express how we are feeling each day.

Let the body reset commence! :D

Day 1

To start day 1 off I weighed myself before the start of the day. I am currently at 189.4 LBS. 

Breakfast

Unfortunately I didn't have breakfast as I woke up around 7 am to take a family member to work and promptly went  back to bed (went to bed last night pretty late) and woke around 2 PM. Definitely need to get my sleep schedule turned around. As a programmer I tend to work long nights but would much rather work some long days and enjoy my afternoons and evenings. 

Lunch

I had a cut up bell pepper, some cucumbers and some rolled up deli turkey. I make sure the turkey was an all natural brand with no sugar. I was surprised how much lunch meat has sugar! (Nearly all of it...).

Dinner

For dinner I plan on making some steak and steamed veggies. I have a bit of homemade italian dressing I made with peppers in it :) 

Hi :)

sounds like you've got some achievable goals to meet - ones that doing a whole 30 should help with!! there are people on the forum who work odd hours (night shifts etc) who still make it work so anything is possible!

a couple of things - you don't need to eat eggs if they don't agree with you. your meal 1 can be whatever you like...whatever you'd have for lunch or dinner. it would probably be wise to avoid eggs if you don't tolerate them well.

have you got a copy of the meal template? every meal should be protein/vegies/fat. your lunch had no fat and  your dinner sounds low in fat too - fat will help in keeping you satisfied and not want to snack throughout the day.

Welcome to the W30. Amber beat me to the "where's the fat" question. Also, did you ensure there was no carrageenan in your turkey? I actually found it harder to find lunch meat without carrageenan than without sugar.

Also like Amber said, if your schedule is different than just work your meals around your schedule. Think of Meals 1, 2, and 3 not breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you want to get yourself on a more "normal" sleep schedule I would suggest try moving your bedtime 30-60 minutes earlier each week until you are happy with where it is. Making drastic changes usually result in laying in bed awake.

Welcome to the W30. Amber beat me to the "where's the fat" question. Also, did you ensure there was no carrageenan in your turkey? I actually found it harder to find lunch meat without carrageenan than without sugar.

Also like Amber said, if your schedule is different than just work your meals around your schedule. Think of Meals 1, 2, and 3 not breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you want to get yourself on a more "normal" sleep schedule I would suggest try moving your bedtime 30-60 minutes earlier each week until you are happy with where it is. Making drastic changes usually result in laying in bed awake.

I usually cook with Coconut Oil and don't eggs have fats? I usually also like eating bacon but its hard to find decent uncured and non-sugared bacon around here (SE Ohio). Thanks for the sleep schedule thing :) Also, I am just about to go make some ghee as well to cook with. May cook the steak with it.

most people add fat on top of their protein source. for example...this morning I had 3 eggs in a vegie omelette, with more vegies, then had mayo on top for extra fat.

cooking fat doesn't really account for a lot - you may put a tablespoon in the pan, but you're not likely to get much of that tablespoon on your plate!

most people add fat on top of their protein source. for example...this morning I had 3 eggs in a vegie omelette, with more vegies, then had mayo on top for extra fat.

cooking fat doesn't really account for a lot - you may put a tablespoon in the pan, but you're not likely to get much of that tablespoon on your plate!

gotcha. What mayo would work besides homemade?

I make chicken curry with coconut milk, have salads with avo or olives, make chicken nuggets with coconut crumb,

Steak with mushroom sauce made with coconut milk, beef chili with guacamole (or just season steak with Mexican spices and have the guac),

Salads with dressing, avo, olives, mash (cauli or sweet pot) with ghee or coconut oil mixed through...cooked vegies drizzled with oil..,

Okay. Had a hand sized portion of steak cooked medium rare with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Also had lettuce and tomatoes with my homemade italian dressing and asparagus with a small closed palm sized portion of raspberries. Already craving a sugary drink... even sweet tea... x.x

Was there much fat in the dressing?

I'd personally aim for the upper portion size recommended on the template, especially in the first few days, and pile on the vegies including some starchy carbs ....it'll make the cravings easier to manage!

Thanks for the advice :) Well I went to go get a tattoo today and my brother brought me over a grassfed beef stick and so I ate it. Only problem is that there was cane sugar :X I didn't realize this until after. Does this mean I need to start over?

Day 2 went smoothly with only that minor bump with the beef stick (Next time I check packaging before anyone gives me something). I went to bed at around 12 PM as I felt quite fatigued all day. This allowed me to wake up at 9:00 AM. It is still 9 hours of sleep but at least I am going to bed at the time I want and waking up at a relatively early hour. Will be moving more for 12:30 AM to sleep and waking up at 9:00 AM next time (takes me like 30 min to fall asleep).

Well I did get a tattoo which I definitely didnt need low blood sugar for. That is why I ate it. I will just let that one incident slide. I may go a day over if I am too worried. I had A burger, with eggs, lettuce and veggies. I poured the juices of the burger and egg back onto the dish :)

Archived