Why can't I get this going???

rollo

I've had about 5 false starts trying to do W30. 

I don't think I've gone more than 3 days successfully before succumbing.

and today?  I only managed to have 2 W30 meals, and then gave in to a bad dinner.

i SWEAR i want to do this.  i made a chart to keep track of my meals.  i went from not EVER cooking to actually cooking for the W30 meals - of course, i'm a beginner cook, so my meals have been basic.

maybe i'm getting tired of eating ground beef, eggs, heated up frozen veggies and avocado (or the occasional handful of olives)

maybe it's because i drink diet coke and doing W30 also forces me to give up caffeine (i don't drink coffee)

maybe i need a snack between lunch and dinner.

whatever it is, it's killing me.  i KNOW i need this. on the inside, i'm screaming and yelling and hating myself for not being able to do this - i can't even get to week 2.

i live alone so don't have a support system at home. 

if anyone has any advice or ANY suggestions, i welcome them, and thank you.

rollo

Do you have any examples in your personal history where you said no to yourself?  Have you ever changed any behavior at all?  Because other than physical withdrawal from things like sugar and caffeine, this is all about changing habits. This isn't a program of deprivation: you eat when you are hungry, drink when you are thirsty, sleep when you are tired.  So do that.

Otherwise, decide that you are not going to do it, and do that instead.  But stop jumping on and off the treadmill, because it's defeating you.  Make your decision and stick with it.

I'm a single mom. There's no one here to monitor my food or know if I give up. I struggle just like anyone else.  But I'm either on plan or off plan, and if I'm on, it means I'm on and there are no excuses.  Say goodbye to your excuses, too, and let yourself experience the joy of achieving a goal.  You can do this and you will do it when you are really ready to do it.

yeah, it must be all psychological (or at least, mostly). 

i'm expecting it to be hard.  i'm used to eating like crap and allowing that to get to me.

day 1 starts again tomorrow.

i'll get through it.

yeah, it must be all psychological (or at least, mostly). 

i'm expecting it to be hard.  i'm used to eating like crap and allowing that to get to me.

day 1 starts again tomorrow.

i'll get through it.

Visualize it. Walk yourself through your entire successful day.  You get up and you do what? (I go out to the kitchen and boil some hot water for my thermos.) What's for breakfast? What will you do when you see snacks at work? What's for lunch?  When do you work out?  What will you eat before and after working out?  When will those cravings hit and what will you do instead?  What's for dinner?  What will you do after dinner?  What time will you go to bed?  Congratulations, Day 1 is complete.  Do it 29 more times and you're done. :)

maybe i'm getting tired of eating ground beef, eggs, heated up frozen veggies and avocado (or the occasional handful of olives)

Hi there,

First of all....you CAN do this!!!  I've had a few false starts recently (have successfully completed full W30s in the past) and am now working on a fresh W30 and am on day 5.  You really CAN do this...and you are not alone.  We're all here to support you!

Some thoughts...

Find some ways to make food interesting.  Do you have any cookbooks?  Some of my favorite resources for W30 compliant food with many recipes that aren't super complicated are below.  I find that mixing up what I am eating keeps me interested.  I balance that with also having some staple "go-to" meals for when I'm feeling stressed and just need something I don't need to think much about.

You might try recipes from here: 

- Nom Nom Paleo  - Her blog is great and her recipes are delicious.  

- The Clothes Make the Girl - She has a lot of great recipes on her website.  She also has an AMAZING cookbook called Well Fed.

I'm going thru the same thing! NO support fom my husband at all, in fact I feel sabotaged at times by him. And I keep giving in!! So, my new approach is planning, planning, planning! I have made a chart for meals with protein, veggies and fat columns and am choosing my shopping lists for the first two weeks ahead of time...sorta going robotic about it just to get thru. Starting Monday since I have a birthday dinner tmw and bridal shower Sunday. I am going to cook Sunday for the majority of the week, best of luck to you....to us!!

Eat more. Five or six full meals. I bet you're hungry.

Definitely agree. I'd advise you to make a rule that you can eat whenever you feel the tiniest bit hungry, as long as it's compliant. Don't worry in the slightest about calories. Don't try to "be good" by only eating a 300 calorie breakfast or whatever. Eat as much as you want, whenever you want: it makes junk food a lot less tempting.

Also, try adding some starchy vegetables. Just pop a sweet potato in the microwave for 5 minutes on each side, drizzle with fat (I like lard), and sprinkle with cinnamon. This will give you some energy and help get you past the sugar/grain withdrawal.

Do you think the caffeine withdrawals are hitting you really hard? Maybe you should tackle that separately first. You could give up diet coke for a few weeks and not make any other changes, then restart your W30 once you've kind of stabilized. I understand how hard this is by the way...Diet Coke w/Lime (and Diet Mt. Dew) used to be my drug of choice. I was up to 3-4 cans a day at my worst. When I tried to add back in a few cans a week, I really noticed a difference in how I felt. It will be really good for you to get this monkey off your back!

Archived