• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I am loving making my own Mayo also! When I made it on Saturday there seemed to be so much in the blender jar I could not remove so I added 2 ripe avocados and about 1/4 cup of pickled jalapeños - OMG - the most wonderful creamy avocado dressing! I immediately browned some grass fed ground beef and made a wonderful taco salad that I topped with home made salsa and this sublime avocado cream! YUMMY!

Yesterday I made my first batch of mayo, from Well Fed (it was my second time actually, the first time it was a huge FAIL... I did everything right but then noticed the blender was not right). This time I followed the same instructions, I even sang to myself like Melissa suggested (and I did so in Italian -only song I know in Italian). It was lovely. I cannot wait to get back home and add a dollop to my dinner  :wub:

PS: Well Fed 2 is on its way!!! So exciting!!!  :D

I always hated mayo, ever since I was a child and my brother would eat mustard and mayo sandwiches on Wonder Bread! Melissa Jouwain's mayo recipe made me change my mind, especially when I add some spices to it. Yum. Tuna salad is a whole new thing.

I do something very similar to EricaV.  Last time, I used about 1/2 c. raw almonds (I know they are not the preferred nut on Whole30 but I love the way they taste).  Threw those in my Cuisinart miniprep with about 3 cloves of raw garlic, chopped, some red pepper flakes, salt, and lemon zest (just a touch!).  Whiz that up until everything is ground.  Then I threw in three large handfuls of basil--the more the better.  It was all the leaves from one large bunch.  Whiz again!  As I was processing the basil, I drizzled in about 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil.  I like to add acid as I use the pesto so that it stays a bright green color in the fridge.  Whisking a dollop of pesto with a little lemon juice or vinegar makes a great salad dressing.  Last night I tossed some steamed green beans with that and it was delectable.  Delectable!

Oh, so happy that everyone is as enthused about fat as I am.  (TOTALLY not above licking a mayo-covered spoon.)

That sounds so amazing... totally trying. Also, I didn't know almonds weren't the preferred nut on W30?? I thought almonds were the best kind... haha... What is?  :wacko:

I believe the preferred nuts are Macadamias and Cashews.  It has to do with the Omega 3 to 6 ratio.  Nuts on average are higher in omega 6's.  We need both.  But we need more omega 3's than 6's.

I think that is the general gist of things how nuts go.

I am loving making my own Mayo also! When I made it on Saturday there seemed to be so much in the blender jar I could not remove so I added 2 ripe avocados and about 1/4 cup of pickled jalapeños - OMG - the most wonderful creamy avocado dressing! I immediately browned some grass fed ground beef and made a wonderful taco salad that I topped with home made salsa and this sublime avocado cream! YUMMY!

Oh my goodness, I think I've died and gone to heaven.  Will definitely do this one.  I make loads of pesto in the summer when the basil in my garden is fresh. Just the aroma of it makes me so happy.  

Fat is such a funny thing in our culture.  My one sister and I are both primal.  I shared ISWF with her, as she hadn't yet read it.  We were talking about healthy foods and my other sister says "but there's fat in that."  Oh well.  It's a process.  Lead by example.

I remember those Aids candies too.  I used to have them with a hot cup of coffee before my meal.  What in the world????  Wonder why we all have food issues.  Thank goodness we've seen the light.

• 2 weeks later...

this is really amazing to know about this story. 

i also love the fat i think now.

this mayo fight is not very good to see actually.

mayo fight? what mayo fight? (the only one I know of is the one that might happen when theres only enough mayo left for one person in our house :P )

That is when I'm grateful that my husband hates mayo. 

My hubby HATES LOATHES mayo and so it is all mine--unless i make the Italian dressing from well fed with well fed mayo! and he will also sometimes eat ranch or southwestern ranch that I make with WF mayo, but to just have it, like in deviled eggs or egg salad, nope--so it is all mine---mine I tell you! lol

I adore avocados, but they're so incredibly expensive here, that I'm not buying any lately. Now that I think about it, every good source of fat I can think of is rather pricey (coconut oil, olive oil, avocados...). Will listen to Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed 2 and will try anchovies!

BTW I just finished reading Well Fed 2 and I'm SO excited about all the mayo variations she's added! And the coleslaw recipe with mayo, and also all the new sauces, just by reading them my mouth totally watered. This evening I'll be making the "almost amba" sauce -can't wait to get home, I am sure it will be fantastic!!  :D

Archived