WholeYear+ Who are the old hats?

Xandra

I don't think sticking to a whole 30 for a year is recommended! It gives you no ability to "live" as you're constantly tied to a set of rules. Sometimes it's good for us to enjoy food that may not be whole 30 compliant :)

Personally, if I thought I couldn't enjoy a special meal out, or have a dessert or sweet treat for a whole year I'd be very sad person!

old hat, here, signing in. It's been a year. BUT, like Amberino suggests, a year of 100% whole30 isn't really the thing. I've done a year where I was strict whole30 for the first 30 days--ok maybe 60 or 90--and the rest of the year I was strict whole30 a lot of the time but have allowed a few things when it is "worth it" to me. I don't have a cheat day or a cheat meal and there have probably been stretches of 30+ days with nothing off plan, but I don't count anymore and I don't think of it that way. This is the way I eat now. Eating this way makes me feel good and I want to feel good, so not many things are "worth it." I AM aware that dairy or soy will cause digestive distress and wheat/gluten will cause me to have trouble breathing, so those things have not been worth it, so far. A tiny bit of sugar doesn't cause issues, so yes, I made some paleo truffles at christmas and had one or two, that sort of thing. I don't feel deprived. I feel fantastic!

Whats different: lost 40lbs, transformed my physical fitness, my moods, my life, really...I don't need my inhalor anymore (I can't remember the last time and that used to be daily). I feel great and I'm very curious to see how things transform in the next year. I guess for me the big learning experience is that things continue to change. My activity levels have skyrocketted (I just HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY!) workouts are super fun for me, and I have had to learn that the amount of food (protein, carbs, fat, all of it) needs to continue to increase to support that. It's super cool, but it has been a process learning to think of what nutrition can do for me and my performance vs. worrying about gaining weight, etc. It's still hard to trust that, but I'm getting better. 

good luck Xandra. enjoy!

I've been on board just about a year.... Started with a w120. Then a w42 and have ventured off road a bit , but I feel so much better staying compliant most of the time. When I do go off road it's for stuff that doesn't really bother me much like sushi or an ocational protein shake post work out. If I hit anything with gluten or to much dairy I feel inflammation creep in a few days later, so even though delicious a bagel with cream cheese goes in the " not worth it category "

That's been the biggest success for me.... Being able to go " not worth it" instead of justifying " I deserve this for working so hard" . I will just have something occationaly " just because it delicious" It's my birthday in a few weeks and I'm sure I will have a piece of cake. :)

Archived