Whole 30 weight loss - WHERE?

Mlynn

I know, I know!! I am NOT suppose to look at my scale. BUT because of the HCG program I did for 2 years I have to keep an eye on my scale becaue I screwed my system. Carbs go right to pounds. I watch the scale to make sure I'm not gaining. I'm in my Whole30 day 6 and wondering when does the weight loss start to happen, I am pretty sure I'm BEHIND. Am I eating TOO much good stuff? Not enough water?? HELP

Frustrated..............

6 days is way too early. This is not a quick weight loss program. You are resetting your body's hormones, not depriving it of calories so you get a quick but not lasting loss of weight. Give it time. Depending on how overweight you are, you should see some progress in the 3rd week. You should not weight yourself, but you can tell by how your clothes fit or how you look/feel.

HGC for two years? Yikes. You have a lot of rebuilding to do to get your metabolism in order. What does that mean? You will probably gain weight before you lose. You most likely NEED to gain weight before you will be able to lose. This is serious stuff. Nourish your body. Leave the scale alone. Give yourself time to establish healthy hormones and a healthy metabolism. Whole30 is not a diet and it is not going to "work" in 6 days, but if you give it time you may just end up with a sustainable healthy lifestyle. I did. It is worth it.

Yep. I said it was the best and worse thing I could have done. If I had let my metabolism reset after instead of thinking "I got this" and adding back in foods I should t it might have been ok. I finally decided I needed to go whole 30 to get rid of a food/sugar addiction. My husband already follows "whole9"

• Moderators

The Whole30 ban on measuring and weighing applies specifically to you. Your history is not a reason you should get an exception to the ban. Your history is the reason the ban was instituted. Your history and that of people with 834 similar histories. :) Really. If you were better off knowing how much you weighed every day or every 3 days or every 6 days, etc., that would be part of the plan. 

You can't improve the Whole30 plan by adjusting it to fit your ideas about what is best or necessary. The Whole30 plan works for tens of thousands of people with radically different circumstances. Just settle in and let the plan work for you.

I know, I know!! I am NOT suppose to look at my scale. BUT because of the HCG program I did for 2 years I have to keep an eye on my scale becaue I screwed my system. Carbs go right to pounds. I watch the scale to make sure I'm not gaining. I'm in my Whole30 day 6 and wondering when does the weight loss start to happen, I am pretty sure I'm BEHIND. Am I eating TOO much good stuff? Not enough water?? HELP

Frustrated..............

Trust me...I feel your pain!  I did HCG for 5 rounds over 16 months back end 2009-2011 and 3 rounds intermittently since 2012.  They do tell you to weigh every day and its a hard habit to break.  Know this...by changing to the Whole30 then Paleo, you will be healthier and your body will adapt.  Don't obsess over the scales....this way of life is liberating....  I have had to hide my bathroom scales in a basement closet just so I would not weigh during this Whole30.  I am on Day 9, feel pretty good.  I did notice some pants I bought 3 weeks ago are much looser than they were when I bought them, so listen to your body's other clues...the most one being how much better you feel.  

Hang in there!!! :D

I had to look up HCG diet because I had no clue. I have no idea how you did that for two years!!!!????? Honestly, like everyone has already said, PUT AWAY THE SCALE. Better still, THROW AWAY THE SCALE. Do the whole30 and let your body start to heal itself with healthy foods. You might gain a few pounds at the start because you are eating more good, nourishing food than you have for the last two years, but give your body the time it needs to settle and adjust and thrive. Really. Get rid of that scale! It is BAD FOR YOU. Pay attention to how you FEEL, not what you weigh...

I had to look up HCG diet because I had no clue. I have no idea how you did that for two years!!!!????? 

I was not 2 years straight.  The "Phase 2 " (weight loss/ 500 cal phase) lasts anywhere from 21 days (minimum) to 40 days (maximum) followed by a 3 week re-introduction of fats and more allowed veggies [still no grains/breads (Phase 3) 1500 cal] and  if another "round" of weight loss phase is desired, one must do a minimum of "regular" eating, where you gradually incorporate certain foods back into your diet [this is where the premise of weighing every day is stressed - watching the scale for any gain of 2 lbs- at which point the dieter is advised to review what was eaten the day before - probably some horrid complex carb- and know to eliminate that particular food from your diet.  If after those 3 weeks, another weight loss phase is desired, the dieter goes back into the "weight loss" phase for 21-40 days...etc. 

The only change is that after each "weight loss-Phase 2" and 3 week Phase 3 , the dieter must increase the length of time of the "regular eating" - doubling the time before going back into the "weight loss" phase each time because the body becomes "resistant" to the HCG and a "reset" is needed so that the fat loss potential is at its maximum for each round.  I only did 4  rounds over the course of 16 months, reaching my lowest weight of 126 lbs ( was only at that weight for a "hot minute" - my body seemed to stabilize at 133-138 range....until I got into "bad carb-feast mode...and crept back up to 150)   Since the original "4 rounds" I did back in 2009-2011 - I have done maybe 2 or 3 more - averaging one a year since the original 4  rounds.

The one thing I have noticed about the HCG is that the more you lose, the less you lose the next time....  I guess it makes since.

Yes, the diet is hard and restrictive, but at its core, the premise of eliminating processed foods, refined carbs and grains echoes some of the tenets of the Paleo.  While I have never had dangerous levels of triglycerids/lipids, etc - my best blood work, including C-reative protein and other "inflammatory" markers in the blood work as well as my LDL, HDL etc were at their best after completing the HCG.   Do I regret the HCG - no.  I needed something to get the weight off.  Would I have done HCG if I had been aware of Paleo at the time?  Maybe - I can't say for sure.  I do know that I will never do HCG again now having found Paleo.

I had a personal victory last night...one that I never thought I would experience.  For me, sugar is a beastly demon that I have struggled with for as long as I can remember.  Yesterday was day 12 for me of the Whole30 and my husband and I went out to eat.  My husband rarely adds sugar to anything he eats and is not a fan of too much sweets.  He drinks his green tea, herbal tea with no sweeter and I am the one putting 2 packets of Stevia into everything.  Well, no stevia for me since starting the Whole30 and surprisingly, I don't miss it.  Last night at the restaurant  I chose a grilled trout and "chilled kale salad"

Well, I took 2 bites of the salad and I guess the chef used some sugar in the citrus vinaigrette dressing.  I nearly knocked me out of my seat!  I told my husband that it was full of sugar.  He swore he could not taste it (a first because whenever I would give him a taste or sip of my tea or coffee- he would nearly choke because he said it was too sweet) He said that he could only taste the vinegar in the salad.  I gave him the rest of my salad and enjoyed the grilled salmon with some lemon juice.  I'm glad its a very do-able lifestyle.  I don't see myself rushing to reincorporate anything anytime soon

Mlynn, 6 days is not a lot in the scheme of things. I am an extremely impatient person, so I totally get the "but where are the results NOW?!?" mentality. However, I did stick with the Whole30 (I'm on day 33) and am just now starting to see results that I feel excited about. There were ups and down up until this point. Some days even within the last few weeks I felt "heavier, fatter, thicker, less energetic, etc." I had to just trust that eventually things would start working how they were supposed to. And they did! It's different for everyone, I would definitely smash that scale with a hammer and focus on how you feel. Easier said than done, I know, but just try it?

Good luck in the rest of your Wholejourney!

Mlynn - I feel you. I really do. I swore the one rule I would be lenient with was the scale because I just could not gain weight so I had to keep track of it. I've been on so many different programs and I was actually terrified that I would see the number go up. I can weigh myself up to 8 times a day normally. 

I told myself I had to make it until day 15 without stepping on the scale once (a massive accomplishment for me) and then I could weigh again on day 30. Two weigh-ins in 30 days is unheard for this scale slave. I felt really bloated and gross the first week or so. I swore I was gaining and convinced myself that looking at the scale would only make me more miserable so I would persevere. It was so tempting. I won't lie. But I managed to convince myself not to somehow. I think I just distracted myself. The next few days got better and I felt certain by day 15 I would've lost a couple of pounds. During week 2 I felt light and the bloat was gone and I felt tempted to weigh in then too. Since I felt good I figured I would have results and I wanted them immediately. 

I talked myself out of it that week because I felt so good that I knew if the scale wasn't reflecting that or kept fluctuating I would just get frustrated and depressed. Also, I figured I'd rather see a big drop all at once them obsess over a few ounces every day. 

On day 15 I weighed in and I'd lost over 6lbs. 

Stop weighing yourself. I speak from experience. It stresses you out and forces you to overanalyze everything. You can go back to being crazy scale obsessive when the 30 days is over if you want but just...take a scale vacation. It's honestly so freeing. You have no idea how nice it ended up being to not step on the scale every morning and rationalize every extra couple of ounces because I ate too much salt or drank lots of water the night before or ate too close to bedtime... I still weigh myself and I always will, but it was so great to be able to let go a little bit. Force yourself and you'll stop missing it so much. Trust me. 

For my next whole30 I plan on going scale free for 30 days. It's still scary and overwhelming in many ways but I think it will be a great accomplishment when I make it. 

I'm new!!! Day 8 for me.  I feel good energy wise, however ever since I started I have been getting up twice a night to go pee?  I was tested for diabetes 2 days before I started the program and my results were normal.  

Also yesterday evening I had the worst migraine ever.  I never get headaches what could have caused that?

I'm new!!! Day 8 for me.  I feel good energy wise, however ever since I started I have been getting up twice a night to go pee?  I was tested for diabetes 2 days before I started the program and my results were normal.  

Also yesterday evening I had the worst migraine ever.  I never get headaches what could have caused that?

I have noticed that the bad migraine seems to be a common factor that occurs to many when the metabolism switches over from storing fat due to all the processed carbs to burning fat.  I wound invariably get my headaches on day 4 or 5 - they would last the entire day, sometimes over into the next day - then abruptly stop - just like someone has turned off a light switch. Hang in there, it will get better.  :rolleyes:

Archived