A cake decorator starting the Whole 30- taste and spit?

Lindsey Fabulous

My occupation as a full time baker and cake decorator has not been a challenge so far, with a recent Auto-Immune disorder diagnosis. I was ordered by my doctor to cut out all grains, dairy, and soy completely from my diet. As part of my days spent baking, I MUST taste everything that I make, to ensure that everything I am selling is up to par. So, for the last several weeks I have been tasting and spitting, then rinsing my mouth with water before I swallow at all. I think that this has been helping a lot, as I am not swallowing any of the crap that goes into my delicious, but highly inflammatory and nutritionally empty cakes.

I am now ready to take my recent dietary changes even further, and would like to start the Whole 30 this week. My question, however, is will it still be okay to "taste and spit" my batters and icings, while working?

I am fully committed to sticking to the guidelines 100%, however this is one area that could have a huge impact on the success of my program, and I'm curious if this will be a problem. Any input would be appreciated!!!

I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you that my husband is in a similar situation. He sells wine for a living and must taste wine all day long. He is spitting everything during his whole 30 and knows that residual amounts will enter his body. This is the best he can do and I imagine you are in the same boat. Good luck and be strong. I think, and I may be wrong, that everyone's whole 30-like their life is different. Do what you need to do to stay compliant and on track while still functioning!

This confuses me. I had a pastry biz of my own. I did not feel the need to taste everything. Baking is so black and white. A ganache is always a ganache.

I'm by no means a professional, but I used to bake and decorate a lot of cakes - even making wedding cakes for friends. I was in a situation where I couldn't eat any of it, but could confidently make cakes and know they were up to scratch by looking at them....my recipes stayed the same, I used the same ingredients, I knew what texture things should have (visually), and was confident in reproducing cakes with the same result....

Could you get someone else to taste for you?

Not tasting may actually improve your other 'senses' about what's right. Smell, sight, even feel... you'll really start to know if it's out of kilter w/o tasting if you hone those.

I knew a chef who sadly lost his sense of taste / interest in food after throat cancer.  But he still enjoyed cooking for others, and could easily do it without ever tasting anything again.

Lindsey, I applaud your dedication to quality, and I agree that you absolutely should ensure that anything that leaves your bakery should be up to the highest standards.

You are inevitably going to have some consumption, even with taste/spit/rinse, but I would think it would be so little as to be a non-issue.

The real question is, after a whole 30, could your newly refreshed tastes even improve your baking? :)

Archived