Kale - convince me

CuriousCat

So I've never really mastered cooked dark leafy greens. Never really cooked them, never really eaten them. My brain keeps telling me that leaves are for salad, not for cooking. I think it's a texture thing.

But I want to like them. I now have a bunch of market fresh kale in my fridge, and no real idea of what to do to it.

Tell me your yummiest, most amazing things to do with kale. Help me find the light, and cook it such a way that even my veggie suspect husband will find it delicious. 

I was a skeptic, too, about the leafies, but now I love them!   I don't cook kale, I massage it and use it in salads.  Just wash, dry (salad spinner), cut the tough vein out and tear the leaves into smaller pieces.  Sprinkle with a little olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar, and sea salt, then work them into the kale for several minutes.  It tenderizes the leaves and serves as the base for a dressing.

For cooking, I love Chard--any kind.  Sauteed with garlic, lemon, and maybe some compliant bacon.  I loosely follow this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pan-fried-swiss-chard/detail.aspx  I sub olive oil or ghee for butter, and fresh, crushed garlic for the paste.

I use nomnompaleo's pressure cooker method - saute onion & carrots (bacon fat is good, natch), add garlic, chuck in the kale, salt, pepper & a splash of stock, bring to pressure & cook for 8 minutes, add a splash of balsamic vinegar & you're good to go. I also like it just lightly boiled :)

I chopped my first bunch up pretty small, sauteed in butter (nonW30) for about twice as long as I thought it should be since it holds up much more than spinach does in a pan, added eggs and scrambled them up. My husband said "this looks suspiciously like a crust-less quiche, but as long as you don't call it that, I'll eat it. Real men don't eat quiche."

*facepalm*

I cook chopped kale along with ground beef or sautéed veg in a large sauté pan (large because I make enough to last a few days). Add the kale last because it requires less time over heat.  This morning, I'm using the veg mix and pouring beef broth over it to make soup for breakfast.

I make the Whole Foods recipe for Garlicky Kale Salad all the time. If you google it, the copycat recipe will pull up. The blogger is "eating for birds" or something similar. Her recipe says let it sit for an hour, but I do the massage thing.

I really only like my greens cooked. With kale (or Brussels sprouts) you really can't go wrong with pig and vinegar (bacon and apple cider vin, prosciutto and balsamic, etc.). Chard I just sauté in olive oil, sometimes with garlic or pepper flakes, and then a squeeze of lemon or balsamic. I've also sautéed every kind of greens with pine nuts and golden raisins, but I'm avoiding raisins at present.

Archived