30 days to holidays

melbournegirl

I've done a couple of whole whatever's since finding whole9 in October last year and learnt heaps about how to be healthy (haven't had one cold or virus in that time) and what my compliant and non compliant triggers are. My recent whole25 taught me I can only resolve my skin problems fully if I avoid coffee, and that my digestive system really likes three meals a day and really doesn't cope well with nuts and coconut or too much fruit :(.

And when my digestion is good and I am not having coffee I find it easy to get 8 hours good sleep!

I've had a week or two experimenting with chocolate, wine, cornflakes, lollies, ice cream and coconut, and made some gf pumpernickel bread today, first toast I have had for 10 months! And guess what? I think I am finally happy to choose not to eat this food except for rare occasions.

So to 'recover' from my reintro's and be in optimum health for my holiday I am ready to do my best whole30 yet, starting tomorrow.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 good 7.5 hours sleep once my stomach ache subsided LOL.

I plan to ramp up my exercise which means 7.5 hours is my target due to early morning and late night sessions. I will track my exercise too to measure my improvement in fitness.

M1 cook up of bacon, sweet potato, bok choy, beans and coconut oil, plus a raw carrot, and some broth made from the pan.

M2 salad with lamb and olives, orange

Snack 8 cashews and a mandarin, 3 dried apricots and a slice of cantaloupe

M3 broccoli, carrot, potato, beef burger

A bit too much fruit today but no coffee at least.

Exercise

6 km slow jog 53 mins, 330 cal AHR 134

Body combat 60 mins, 360 cal AHR 130

Day 2 about 7 hours sleep but six hours without waking!

M1 slice of cantaloupe, spinach, bok choy, sweet potato and bacon with an egg

M2 beef burger, potato, carrot, broccoli, kiwi fruit and an orange

M3 ribs, pumpkin, zucchini, snow peas

6 km slow jog 53 mins 410 cal AHR 150 but think my monitor was playing up

Boot camp 55 mins 270 cal AHR 117

Day 3 already, 7 hours sleep

M1 bacon, egg, half a sweet potato, spinach, tomato and strawberries and cantaloupe, first time I have eaten fruit off my dinner plate so to speak.

M2 tomato soup, tomato, veg and meat sauce dish, and salad with olives, eating up leftovers...

Snack tin of tuna in oil

M3 half a beef burger and salad, not too hungry which was good as I went pretty much straight to a yoga class and w e did lots of inversions.

6km slow jog 53 mins 375 cal AHR 144

Day 4 took awhile to get to sleep so only 6 good hours

M1 half a beef burger, tomato soup, half a sweet potato

M2 lunch out, had sliced pork belly served with salad, and a custom request beef stir fry, also had a mouthful of Peking duck that had some sauce on.... Plus some fruit and tea and coffee but no rice, wine or chocolate!

M3 more beef stir fry cooked by hubby plus some dried fruit, nuts and an egg... Coffee seems to make me crave sweet things.

6km slow jog 52 mins 385 cal AHR 148

Sounds like you are doing well with it.   At lunch I chopped cabbage, an apple, and threw some smoked sausage on it.....seemed like and odd combo but was tasty......I'm thinking using coconut oil to cook with is helping me stay somewhat satisfied -- it's the head games!

Day 5 7 hours sleep

M1 left over beef stir fry with extra ground turkey

M2 salad, ground turkey in pumpkin soup, orange at 130pm

M3 snack to tuna in oil, dates, coconut flakes and watermelon. Regretting having the free decaf long black at 11am, its made me hungry/agitated

M4 fish, sweet potato, carrots and broccoli

6km slow jog jog 345 cal 52 mins AHR 144

Looking forward to bedtime

Hmm, decided to stay up late reading, and for some reason ate way too many hazelnuts and a beef burger! What the ?

Hope you are resting.  Thank you for posting your meals - It helps with ideas for me. DAy 5 today - I had 2 chicken tenders and one egg with cabbage, spinach and onions.  This morning I am trying to figure out supplements for me- everyone says something different.  Just like the gelatin -- what one are you using? (Realizing you are a continent or 2 away and the products available to you are probably different.)  Happy trails!

Day 6 6 hours sleep, woke up just in time to go to a new for me circuit class at 730am and really enjoyed it ... Despite feeling a bit full!

M1 apple, orange, carrot, turkey mince and pumpkin soup and some decaf coffee with coconut oil and gelatin.

M2 salad, olives, frittata with bacon, spinach and tomato

M3 strawberries, almonds, eggs

M4 lamb chops, mash and beans, raspberries, sweet potato, coconut milk

I just have some cooking gelatin I bought a year ago. If I take to it I will look for some in a health store perhaps. Any recommendations of what to look for Terryd?

This is what I use-- http://greatlakesgelatin.com/storefront/    and I buy direct from them.  It costs less from them but I am not sure about if they ship out of the country.  I buy a 6pack - Lasts me 6 months about.  You can also order it from Amazon.com.  The only suggestion I have is to make sure it is Hydrolyzed Collagen - in the green can from great lakes so it will dissolve in hot or cold beverages.  It has no taste, but a slight odor - that is why I use coconut milk with it and the coconut milk helps the coconut oil to not end up as an oil slick on your coffee.  I'll try asking around to some of my Australian fb peeps to see if they use the GL gelatin and let you know if there is something similar out of country. Today was much better for me.  Some folks used the commercial cooking gelatin until they could get GL. Knox gelatin is a popular brand here.  The Great Lakes brand is Kosher and they do talk about the care taken to make the product.  I hope this helps you.....The following information is from their website:

Collagen Hydrolysate... What is it?

Hydrolyzed Collagen is unique in its amino acid structure because of its high amounts of glycine, lysine and proline, which are found in lower amounts in other protein food supplements. These particular amino acids are found to generate cell growth much quicker because the natural ability to produce supporting amounts of connective tissue diminishes after the age of 25. Hydrolyzed Collagen is more easily digested because of its low molecular weight and is absorbed within 30 minutes. All of the amino acids collectively are beneficial to cell reproduction, but it is the distinctive spectrum of this product that impacts the metabolic pathways to healthy tissue.

Hydrolyzed Collagen is beneficial in replacing the synovial fluids between the joints and secondly, to repair and build cartilage weakened by overuse through impact and stress. Our bodies are made up of 30% collagen of which 70% of these proteins are connective tissue made of collagen.

Hydrolyzed Collagen is the missing link in supplying amino acids like glycine, proline and lysine that are required by the body to build connective tissue to regulate cell growth. It will benefit hair, skin tissue, muscle, cartilage, ligaments and blood cell growth. Some doctors are referring to this product as the new anti-aging product of the century.

What are the benefits of Collagen Hydrolysate?

Hydrolyzed collagen gelatin will provide the missing nutritional links for most dietary supplements. A nitrogen balance is maintained for the support of age related collagen loss and cartilage damage. It is an excellent product for those with a sedentary lifestyle who may suffer from repetitive joint pain or discomfort.

Proteins are a primary element of life's sustenance. The body contains millions of amino acids and peptides which are smaller than proteins. These are essential to the body which regulate functions of the cells. Glycine content of collagen assists the liver in handling foreign substances for individuals exposed by habit or occupation to toxic substances like chemicals, pollutants, alcohol or tobacco. Feeling of alertness, improved concentration, balanced mood, improved energy and increased sense of well-being have been reported by many users.

Hydrolyzed Collagen differs from gelatin as it will dissolve in cold, warm, or hot liquids and will not congeal when chilled. This feature allows taking a high protein product in a convenient way that suits your needs.

Home• For Business • General Info • Usage • Gelatin Facts • Nutritional Info • Equine Info • Products • Order Now

Copyright 2010 Great Lakes Gelatin Company

I would think about dropping all but the coconut(and I would cut back my coffee but not out...LOL) - I am sold on it.  I have been using it to cook my veggies in or eggs and finding that I am very full but queasy (a little) for a few hours.  It is helping me to not snack in between.  I am in hopes that by next weekend I will have "overcome" the ick or queasy feeling.  Hope you get great rest.   

Day 8, 6 hours sleep but slept well. Excited to give this week a go without coffee, cocoa, coconut or nuts. I know it is going to make it much easier to manage my stress and appetite. Which will make it easier to drop a kilo or two before my holiday!

M1 raw carrot, pumpkin soup with turkey mince and spinach

M2 salad with olives and beef, kiwi fruit

M3 orange, carrot, boiled egg

M4 cold meat and beetroot...

Out late for school speech night

6 km slow jog 53 mins, cal 348, AHR 138

Day 9 about 7 hours sleep

M1 beef burger and vege hash

Walk at lunchtime

M2 beef and salad with olives

M3 stir fry veges with some cashews :( (hubby's cooking), silver beet and chicken. Blueberries with cinnamon... Started feeling itchy just before this, cashews? Hay fever?

Tired today but also happy...... Tempted to have cocoa but I don't want to spoil this mood.

Have you slowed down on your portions?  I was so hungry in the beginning.  Now when I eat eggs and at least 2 cups of veggies and a little meat  all cooked in CO ---- I don't want a lot at lunch - so I'm ending up kind of hungry in the afternoon.  Gotta get a happy medium here.  Hope you have a great day. I need to shut this down and go to bed!  ^_^

Wow those 10 days quickly disappeared!

Day 10

M1 egg and vegetable hash

M2 salad with chicken, avocado and olives

M3 carrot, boiled egg and orange

M4 pork and beef and vegetables with sesame oil Mongolian BBQ style

No exercise today, too busy and had to sign off my tax return at lunchtime so no walk even.

I went through a patch of not eating lunch till nearly 2pm. I am having smaller breakfasts now and small lunches so I often have a fruit, vegetable and boiled egg or tuna around 4pm, especially if I am working late and dinner will be after 7 pm.

I'm still not good at or don't have reliable hunger signals. I'm usually not as hungry as I think I am which I know because on busy days I eat a lot later...

What is Mongolian BBQ style? Is there a recipe?  I hope you are getting some gorgeous weather because it is absolutely fabulous here.  Such a beautiful day!  It sounds like you are really listening to your body and learning it's signals.  I eat because it's time.  I can say I have rarely been hungry eating this way.  AND that is a YAY.

Mongolian BBQ, thin strips of raw meat, chopped veges selected from various bowls, add your fats and liquids like sesame oil, chilli sauce etc all into your bowl, the take the bowl to the BBQ and add into a pan or on a hotplate to stirfy. The fun is in choosing the raw ingredients buffet style, and going back for seconds etc.

Day 11, been feeling quite achey and queasy these last few days, decided to sleep in so 9 hours sleep

M1 chicken and leftover stir fry veg which still had some cashews, blueberries with cinnamon

M2 chicken, salad, avocado and orange juice

M3 lamb, pumpkin, potato and beans, raspberries and raisins

Hope you feel better - I like the sound of the Mongolian beef BBQ.......will have to try that.  So glad today is over - lot of stress(family).  Did want to eat dinner, but did.  Everything is ok as far as relations between us all.....just some stuff.........all about growing up.

Still achey, not really sure why, may be coffee detoxing, seem to recall it takes 14 days for all symptoms to go

Must be day 12

M1 bacon, eggs, spinach and avocado

M2 leftover lamb, potato, pumpkin and beans, orange and mandarin

Snack tuna in oil

M3 steak, potato, beans and pumpkin (hubby cooked same veg as last night!), strawberries and some potato chips shhhhh

Also had cocoa.... It's been a long week!

Tsk, tsk, naughty Juzbo!!!! Just kidding.......I think that with all that we do to ourselves, satisfying the sugar monster or eating the wrong foods, that it takes a lot longer than we would like to rid ourselves of aches and pains.  I had noticed my aches coming back prior to w30 - I kept thinking - I'm eating alright.  But when I really looked at what I was eating I was adding in some junk.  Now that it has been 12 days - I am noticing the achys are lightening up on me. just a thought.   Oh and another thought - there is a 100% cocoa that your brew like coffee.  I have some chocolate nibs - I wonder if I ground them up fine and then brewed them if it would taste good.  I miss my chocolate too.....I have a 100% cocoa/chocolate - thinking about gnawing on a small piece..  Will that bring the food police out????? LOL Hope you have a great sleep---halfway thru day 12 for me and only one more meal to think about............

Great minds think alike! I recently tried the brewed cocoa, I liked it but it felt like a waste to throw out the grinds so I went back to buying my one kg of Loving Earth raw cocoa. I make it into chocolate sometimes by mixing it with coconut oil and dried fruit, microwaving and then freezing it, pre whole30 of course. The raw cocoa doesn't trigger sweet cravings for me but I do get into the habits of a few cups at night to avoid eating more, good habit or bad habit I don't know, it is good for lowering blood pressure though

Day 13, slept like a log but up early 5am to go to the meat market

M1 orange, lamb and veg soup, sweet potato, egg and raisins

Snack of dates and some cashews with cocoa.....

M2 pumpkin soup with turkey mince

M3 salad, beef, bacon, tomatoes, olives, spinach, potato, more cashews oh no, strawberries and watermelon..... Friends over for dinner

Archived