30 days to holidays

melbournegirl

I am usually up and dressed - lazy I guess just unwinding from my evening with the littles....LOL  I may try grinding the cocoa nibs - or maybe just add some 100% cocoa to my coffee.....I don't want a chocolate bar -- just a little cocoa flavor maybe. I should go to the farmers market here or NOMA which is a market downtown Columbus -- it is so busy and crowded and it's around a 40 minute drive there -- oh forget NOMA - today is a football game day and I don't even want to try to get downtown......Go BUCKEYES and HOOSIERS! 

Do you use fresh or canned pumpkin?  I have never made pumpkin soup - so this sounds interesting?  Hope your day goes well, sounds great so far! 

YES  DAY 13!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vegetable pumpkin is a staple here, three types in the supermarket, canned pumpkin on the other hand is pretty much unknown, I think you can now get pie filling but its very uncommon. Main staple veg in aus: potato, peas, carrots followed by pumpkin, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, mushrooms and zucchini. Plus salad stuff lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, celery, beetroot.

Pumpkin types are butternut, jarradale and jap. Soup is just boiled pumpkin with salt and pepper or stock, puréed. Can add coriander, coconut, chilli or zucchini too. What are your staple veg???

You posted above at 10pm my time, what time was it for you? ...curious to know the time difference.

Good night.....

Time I posted was around 8am here -- I thought we were a good 12-13hours apart.  It sounds as if what you call pumpkin there  is  like squash here - canned pumpkin here is used mostly for pies. That is why I was wondering about the soup. I should explore more recipes for squash/pumpkin - I think I a missing something tasty!  Squash can be made into pies as well.  We have access to almost any type of vegetable here.  I never thought about what would be a staple - probably potatoes, corn, squash, tomatoes, green beans, turnips, beets, - very plentiful and of course the greens for salads of all types.  They simple become more expensive at different times of the year.  For this household, it has been potatoes of some sort at least once a week, now I'm subbing in more sweet potatoes; corn was also a biggie until I learned about the GMO issues with veggies.  Squash is something I am learning about and now with fall, pumpkins will be widely and cheaply available.  We are going into our fall season now and our leaves will be turning colors - the air is already cooling and soon it will be very crisp and frosty in the mornings. 

Rest well!

Soup is just boiled pumpkin with salt and pepper or stock, puréed. Can add coriander, coconut, chilli or zucchini too. What are your staple veg???

Roasting your pumpkin first, along with garlic cloves if you like garlic, gives a really nice taste :)

Roast cauliflower and leek is delicious too!

I would roast the pumpkin first but never thought about stuffing it with some garlic.  Love roasted cauliflower but have yet to jump on the leek bandwagon.  My association with pumpkin has been canned or to roast it - smoosh it up with eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and of course throw it in a pieshell(even though I am not a fan of pumpkin pie - my family is)  So treating is as a vegetable is all new and exciting.   I'll probably give it a try with cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves too, just to see.........love the fall smells.  Do you add garlic or other spices when you roast a leek - sorry - new veggie to me-- I have seen them - but never eaten............

Using pumpkin (pumpkin or butternut) as a sweet is weird to me, hehe....

Leek is delicious - slightly sweet, oniony....I steam it with cauliflower and garlic cloves when making cauli purée.

Roast garlic is also amazing - slightly squash the cloves, leave the skin on, roast them til squishy. The insides will squeeze out like toothpaste. The taste is subtle - great in salad dressing, or mixed through roast vegies, or put in soups before whizzing :)

Didn't see any Leeks at the farmers market this morning. But Amberino we love roasted garlic. umum.   We get a dressing (NOT w30 compliant) called Garlic Expressions -- vinegar, oil (wrong kind) garlic(several whole cloves per bottle), spices and of course sweetener of some sort.  I need to see if I can figure that out for real food.  It makes a great marinade for veggies and meats.  

Hope everyone else is having a great day!

Roasting your pumpkin first, along with garlic cloves if you like garlic, gives a really nice taste :)

Roast cauliflower and leek is delicious too!

I'm drooling now amber but I am fodmap intolerant so garlic, leek and cauli are not on my list. But the pre roasting is a great idea! Thanks for popping in!

Day 14 I guess nice it is Sunday... Another deep sleep!

M1 leftovers from dinner

M2 fruit, salad, beef broth and pumpkin soup and avocado, too light on protein but nothing else appealed and I didn't want to have nuts either! Had four beef roll ups from last night at brekkie so that should make up.

Oh, had coffee today..... Hmm will keep that under control... Although the place I am going to for work tomorrow has a great machine so might have to restart my caffeine free stint on wed

Sounds delish! Amberino and Juzbo!!!!! I did a stir fry last night and was so surprised at how tasty it was.  I am now not "afraid" to combo up veggies - cook in CO - splash something on them and munch away.  I have never eaten or wanted so many veggies.  Some of the family roll their eyes, others snatch some.  With toddlers/children I know it takes repetitive times to get them to eat something.  Continually placing it on their plates.  SAME with adults!!!! LOL  

Juzbo - checking in - been a busy few days - today for me is Day 17.  Hope you are doing well.  Rocky road for the past few days - yesterday, really tired, almost exhausted - not quite enough sleep may be catching up with me (6 1/2 hours average a night).  I am so excited to get to the finish - I may continue as I "feel" better than before starting.  Missed hearing from you!

Thanks Terryd, I made it back safely and did okay on the eating front, only non compliant food was plain potato chips, I'm okay with that. Happy day 17!

M1 was some soup and mince from the freezer plus some bacon, spinach and blueberries.

M2 just a can of tuna in oil....

M3 chicken, veg, olives, eggs and raspberries, yum

No exercise today though, feeling very sluggish, must must must get up early tomorrow!

BAck at you for the Happy 17 - yours soon to be 18......yes!!! although I am thinking seriously about adding another w30 to this one - I still find myself wanting to look for substitutions for sugar and sugar things...........I really don't want to go backward which is what I did when my weight stalled............heading forward ho!

Took me 100 days to break my sugar addiction!

I am contemplating continuing on through my holidays.... Might be a good way of keeping my tummy happy while I am away....

Another good nights sleep, still a bit tired when I woke up but got up for my 6 km jog

M1 lamb and veg plus some fruit at lunch time, having a rest from eating this morning..... Seeing how I do on two meals a day for a change.

M2 pork koftas with salad, blueberries with coconut

100 days????? I guess I have 17 under my belt!!!! LOL I probably have that much or more in me - - I LOVE my sweets -- for the last year it has been 70% chocolate and then the junk sweetened gf foods, bread, crackers(most of those are yuk)- lots of nuts. 

So far so good..........Hope you have a great day 18.......!

Must be day 19 since its Friday...

Decided to sleep in so 9 hours sleep, no execise as a result ;(

M1 4 eggs, 2 slices bacon, spinach and a bowl of raspberries

M2 turkey mince cooked with tomato, carrot and zucchini over chopped snow peas and cucumber, plus some watermelon, also had a small half corn cob since it was going to waste but regretting it now, major uncharacteristic stomach ache...

Note to any readers, since this is my fourth whole*, I have chosen not to be completely strict with avoiding corn, potatoes (including chips), and bacon with less than 1% sugar, and may have the occasional pickled veg with sugar in the brine. I am strict on all other grains, dairy and legumes, and anything else with sugar.

I cook for 3 other adults and 3 children not on w30.  So far I've left their leftovers alone.  Our 3 year old, only goes to pre school - 1/2 days 3 days a week - so he's with me all day Tuesday and Thursdays.............My hurrah is he wanted to go to the store for a cookie - I told him we would make some - We made almond flour choc. chip and he loves them (even used a sweetener)  AND I didn't eat a single crumb.......that is major for me.  The adults said - yeah they are ok - and asked are they gluten free?  MEH......as long as the 3 children like them - life is good!

That's great Terryd! I have been meaning to tell you by the way that my name is Justine, in case you wondered!

I usually pass on the corn except when hubby puts the baby corn in a stirfry he has made especially for me... But this stuff has been in the fridge over a week and hubby kept forgetting to cook it.... I reintro'd corn chips and popcorn, both no good so its not hard to avoid these, but I still miss them at times. I don't think I have had noticeable reactions to the baby corn, but I have had prior re the fresh corn which I guess I forgot.

Had some coconut milk in cocoa, that's not going to help my tummy. My scalp is flaring up too :(

IF my husband ever cooked anything for me - I would probably eat it too ---- so I don't have to worry about that!  Sorry you have the icks!  Bone broth always helps me when I get a bug or get wheated or eat a bunch of junk - that and some magnesium serene (its a supplement made with mag citrate) cleans one out big time - it has a citrusy taste and I like to drink it hot. Sometimes I just take it because its relaxing and I don't see magnesium or epsom salt baths on my horizon!  Hope you are resting.....thanks for letting me know your name Justine!

Day 20, 9 hours sleep then off to the gym for an early class

M1 macadamias (post WO snack?) bacon, eggs, tomato, spinach, sweet potato, coconut milk and 4 dates.

Got to eat a reasonable amount for just two meals a day LOL

Tummy is back to normal now that the corn has gone through? (TMI)

I have never tried magnesium, it might be handy on occasion....

M2 baked chicken, pumpkin and broccoli soup, Swiss chard with balsamic and some frittata I made with egg, potato, parsley, sd tomato and grated carrot, followed by blueberries with coconut milk since the rest of the family had ice cream cake for my daughters birthday

I'll see if I can find the info. as to why I take Magnesium faithfully - other than - I don't I have leg cramps...LOL  I have read so much information on supplements - I forget why this or that......I do remember it is an important mineral that needs replaced everyday.  AS for your Meal 1 - oh that sounds so good - I'll be right over Justine!!!! LOL

Good for you... I should listen to music more often... Just figured out how to access music on my iPad that my kids have bought on iTunes for their iPods...

7 hours sleep, 6 kids sleeping over for DD's birthday...

Was going to skip breakfast but had coffee then got hungry so had my M1 of leftover turkey mince with veg and eggs and apple with more coffee and coconut cream and now I have a headache... Self inflicted!

Archived