Reintroed gluten yesterday...

Vian

I finished my whole30 a while ago and I immediately reintroduced dairy with no real negative effects, so I've kept eating it. I also had a little corn and rice with no negative consequences, but those will not be a regular part of my diet.

Yesterday I ate a sausage egg and cheese biscuit from Carl's Jr. I loved them, they have the best biscuits (I live up north where everyone uses frozen biscuits and unless you make them at home, Carl's Jr. has the best ones) and it sounded really great and I was on my way to the farmer's market and my friend wanted some too, so I stopped and got some biscuits for breakfast. 

Last time I was paleo for 2 months and reintroduced gluten, I didn't notice anything bad happening. But I was also very sick at the time and already felt crappy with a fever and body aches. I think my gluten reaction was hidden by the illness.

This time when I had gluten yesterday, within 30-45 minutes, I got a sore throat, then a few minutes later a headache came on, kind of a stuffy nose sinus headache thing, then I got diarrhea and felt like I was coming down with a head cold all the rest of the day. It started to get better late afternoon and I feel fine today.

So yeah...no gluten for me! So not worth it.

Yeah, I had a similar reaction. I've been gluten free for months. But on vacation, I was lulled into have some freshly made waffles at the breakfast buffet. They were fantastic. But afterwards I felt incredibly bloated and it lasted the entire day. So, no more gluten for me!!!!

So the question I have is do you test wheat/gluten separate from other ingredients so you know what really is the culprit?

You do the best you can.

Here are the reintro examples from It Starts with Food:

- for gluten: a whole wheat bagel, side of pasta and a dinner roll.

- for non-gluten: white rice, corn tortilla chips, and a slice of gluten-free bread.

I am very weary today of introducing gluten. Am about to have a piece of toast with nut butter. For lunch, I have decided to go to a very lovely French bread shop and buy a small sourdough baguette. I am determined to only eat good quality bread without preservatives. Hubby is making his own yummy flat bread for dinner for me. I think he's making tabouli with bourgal wheat too. Nervous.

...and WEARY I should have been.  Oh, the digestive problems wheat is causing me.  Cracked and swollen lips (immediate), constantly feeling hungry (from mid day of Day 1), scratchy roof of mouth and sore tongue (appeared Day 2), constant feeling nauseous (waking up Day 3).  Indigestion (BURPING) almost immediate within minutes of reintroducing wheat into my diet.   I have to say goodbye to wheat today forevermore.

I forgot to mention the headaches.  There's probably other things, too.  Oh yes, Day 3...the itchies have started! 

...and WEARY I should have been.  Oh, the digestive problems wheat is causing me.  Cracked and swollen lips (immediate), constantly feeling hungry (from mid day of Day 1), scratchy roof of mouth and sore tongue (appeared Day 2), constant feeling nauseous (waking up Day 3).  Indigestion (BURPING) almost immediate within minutes of reintroducing wheat into my diet.   I have to say goodbye to wheat today forevermore.

I forgot to mention the headaches.  There's probably other things, too.  Oh yes, Day 3...the itchies have started! 

wow - makes me not want to add anything back in. But you need to know because you can't always be in a Whole30 environment and you may need to push the limits if you don't want to starve (beyond intermittent fasting) and it would be great to know what foods do what.

Although wheat is a problem, I have found that rice, corn (don't wish to eat but tried it once this week) and spelt are all ok. Oats gave me some probs, so I will try again and see what happens as it was the first grain tried after the wheat challenge. One thing I have to say is that rice and spelt both seemed to fill me up really quickly BUT wheat seemed to turn off my 'I'm full' switch and I just wanted to keep eating and eating. Also, going back onto grains (temporarily - or occasionally only is the plan) has made me slip into old habits, such as, filling up on grains (e.g. Spelt bread with nut butter for breakfast) and then not eating as many vegetables as I have been. I've certainly lost the balance in my meals over the past few days as I've reintroduced grains. I have to make sure I continue to eat meat and veggies and not to fill up on bread. I am heading back to a Whole30 diet with the occasional serve of rice, quinoa and a rare slice of sourdough spelt.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried various things with gluten in them over the past few weeks, taking several days of clean eating between each encounter, and every single time, the same side effects happened...I felt like I was coming down with a head cold the rest of the day, then was fine. It didn't trigger any cravings or need to eat tons of stuff, I just felt yucky the rest of the day. I'm curious how spelt would affect me...It does have gluten, but it's much lower than wheat. My mom makes an amazing spelt bread, my favorite thing as a kid was eating fresh spelt bread hot out of the oven slathered in butter...second favorite thing was making a peanut butter and honey sandwich with it before school and then by lunch time, the honey had soaked into the bread and crystallized...so good...

Archived