Fat Liver

Hello! so my friend juts started her first w30, I've been helping with all I've learned, but she has a Fat Liver and I'm not sure how to deal with that. (I read that she needs to quite sugars, alcohol, grains...) so this plan sounds perfect for her... but... do any of you have any more recommendations? should she be eating less olive oil? ghee and coconut oil? perhaps not so many sweet potatoes and plantains? 

Thanks for your help!!!

I just found this on a website...sounds like a whole 30 would be perfect for her. I don't think cutting out all sweetnpotato or starchy carbs is necessary as even if she has some she'll probably be eating relatively low carb than previously, and the carbs will be from better sources

Poor diet is the leading cause of fatty liver disease. The biggest offenders are sugar and foods made of white flour; they should be avoided. However, a high intake of carbohydrate rich foods in general can promote fatty liver, as the liver converts any excess carbohydrate into fat. Foods that need to be restricted include bread, pasta, rice, breakfast cereals, cakes, pastry, donuts, biscuits, fries, chips, pretzels (and other similar snack foods) and any food made of flour.

Drink less alcohol

Excess alcohol consumption is the second biggest cause of fatty liver. Alcohol can cause inflammation and damage to liver cells, resulting in fatty infiltration. People with a fatty liver should limit alcohol consumption to seven standard drinks per week, with at least two alcohol free days per week.

Eat more vegetables, protein and the right fats

Raw vegetables and fruits are the most powerful liver healing foods. These raw foods help to cleanse and repair the liver filter, so that it can trap and remove more fat and toxins from the bloodstream. Eat an abundance of vegetables (cooked and raw salads) and fresh fruits.

Protein is important because it helps to keep the blood sugar level stable, helps with weight loss from the abdomen and reduces hunger and cravings. Protein should be consumed with each meal. Good sources of protein include eggs, poultry, seafood, meat, nuts, seeds, legumes and plain or Greek yogurt and cheeses.

Healthy fats to include more of in your diet are found in olive oil, oily fish, coconut oil, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds and raw nuts and seeds. Most processed vegetable oils and margarines can worsen a fatty liver. Deep fried foods are also bad for those with a fatty liver.

I would imagine all of us with addictions (mild or severe) to sugar, alcohol, flour and packaged foods with their franken fats/oils have 'fatty livers'.

I find it helpful to imagine my fatty liver and hanging omentum grumpily detoxing during the whole30.  LIke they are on their own little exercise program :)

You%20On%20a%20Diet_noPW_img_35.jpg

• 1 year later...

"Poor Nutrition and Starvation – Not eating a healthy diet or enough food in general can cause you to develop liver disease. So, even if you are conscientious now about observing healthy eating habits, if you binge dieted in the past or were anorexic and/or bulimic, you might develop Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease later in life.

If you went on a fast or crash diet recently, your body’s “starvation mode” can trigger the disease as well, since your liver thinks a famine is happening, and accumulates more fat when you don’t eat enough."

"Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) the fat that accumulates can cause inflammation and scarring in the liver. This more serious form of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is sometimes called nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. In its most severe form, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease can progress to liver failure. Among people with eating disorders, prolonged fasting and excessive caloric intake, such as during binge eating, can lead to nonalcoholic steatosis.

Fifty-four percent of patients with binge eating disorder had a greater than 85% risk of NAFLD. The FLI and GGT were significant lower after the patients completed treatment. Four of the 8 subscales of the EDI, drive for thinness, interoceptive awareness, bulimia, and ineffectiveness, improved after multidisciplinary treatment.

The  association between NAFLD and eating disorders was clear, and that an interdisciplinary treatment approach reduced the risk of NAFLD in their patient group. They also stressed that while therapy did reduce the risks, patients with eating disorders should be regularly monitored well after treatment ends."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18181765

Fatty Liver Disease

The accumulation of IHL during prolonged fasting may, therefore, reflect a maladaptive response to increased non-esterified fatty acid delivery to the liver that unmasks a subtle defect in mitochondrial function. This could have implications for the pathogenesis of the common human disorder of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. The accumulation of IHLs observed with prolonged fasting may also explain exacerbations of steatohepatitis seen sometimes with rapid weight loss, anorexia nervosa and parenteral nutrition. The findings also suggest caution against promoting excessive ketogenesis with weight-loss regimens.

Many know or are related to someone who has a food addiction or disorder.   My large family is encouraging a 22 yr old with anorexia since the age of 13.  She has Fatty Liver Disease.  She now has to take steriods and loathes the increase of appetite.  She was used to eating a single portion of chicken or fish once every two weeks.   She dreams about food and hates it.  She craves red meat and really, really hates that.  She sleeps about 4 hours a night.   She was hospitalized with a severe case of shingles, went bald and the hair loss bothers her far more than the other complications of anorexia.  She was told complete liver failure is certain if she keeps this up.   

She doesn't touch any fats such as avocado or olive oil, butter, bacon fat.  She says she craves bacon fat but loathes the thought.  She hates food most of all.  Her health is an absolute wreck.  She does eat fruit and greens.  That's about the size of it.

There are 4 others in my family who are at risk of Fatty Liver because of their gastric bypass.

Eating 3 meals aday with real whole foods is so simple but yet such a complicated change for those who struggle with eating disorders.  All of this extreme self disgust with body image can end badly.   I chose the Whole 30 as an escape from constant thoughts about weight management.  I wanted to stop thinking of weight loss as something to be conquered because I know there's no such thing as a Finish Line.

Extreme self disgust goes away when you start being motivated by an overall sense of well being, weight stability, finding true food freedom and what really works for your body. 

Archived