Divorced Paleo Parents?

Mary Raven

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any divorced paleo parents and how it is working with the other non paleo parent.

My story: been living Paleo since spring. I LOVE IT.

My 9 yo spends one week with me, one with his dad.

When with me I'm trying to have him as Paleo as possible which includes paleofied foods (waffles for brekkie), but I'm having hard times when he tells me about food he had at dad's.

Here in Austria kids up to 10 go to a kind of "day care" after school where they get a cooked meal, so we don't make lunch boxes. They get "breakfast/snack box" for a large break (after the second school hour), so even before Paleo he would ask for roasted chicken drums with belpepers :)

I make sure he gets a paleo brekkie and a paleo dinner when he's with me, but I fear that getting his dad on the Paleo side would be very difficult!

Anyone with similar experiences? Challenges?

Greetings from Vienna, Austria

You just do the best you can.  I am not divorced, but my husband is an unapologetic junk food and crap carb-lover who lives on processed carbs and soda, other than the dinners I prepare for us.  I had the kids gluten free for awhile and he was really opposed due to his own research.  Whatever.  I feed them as healthfully as I can, without being obsessive, and they're already starting to notice and question why Daddy eats so much junk.  They're already way better off than I was as a child (I was raised on cheap carbs and junk food), and way better off than 90% of other American children.  I trust as they get older they'll start to make even more healthy choices, as I continue to guide and explain why its best to eat that way.

You just do the best you can.  I am not divorced, but my husband is an unapologetic junk food and crap carb-lover who lives on processed carbs and soda, other than the dinners I prepare for us.  I had the kids gluten free for awhile and he was really opposed due to his own research.  Whatever.  I feed them as healthfully as I can, without being obsessive, and they're already starting to notice and question why Daddy eats so much junk.  They're already way better off than I was as a child (I was raised on cheap carbs and junk food), and way better off than 90% of other American children.  I trust as they get older they'll start to make even more healthy choices, as I continue to guide and explain why its best to eat that way.

Sounds very familiar! My husband is the same way, he refuses to eliminate grains from our children's diet. We got to the "compromise" that at least stop buying waffles, pancakes, cereal, crackers and cereal bars because that's all they were eating. So we still have 100% whole grain bread for them. So EVERY night he is responsible for dinner, they get PBJ...even though the fridge is full of cooked healthy food! Ugh!

Archived