wholeForever??? help finding Melissa's words on this

Lizitea

Hello

In a post from last January I see Melissa saying:

I'm going to draft a post about how we eat on a weekly basis to help people understand that aspects of the W30 are sustainable forever…. but the full program is definitely (probably) not.

Does anyone know where these words are??? Will it come in my Day 30 email?

thanks so much

felicity

Or anyone please chime in-- what is wrong with a WholeForever?

For most people a WholeForever just is not sustainable. The program is not designed to be. For most people 30 days is enough of a reset to do the scientific research on themselves during reintroduction to know what does and does not bother them and then make decisions. Sustainable is following the template and the rules most of the time but allowing for flexability around the data that you gather during reintroduction. Those with serious issues may need more than 30 days. Some may even find they can stick to the rules 100% forever. Personally I am in a place post W30 where I allow for high quality dairy and some natural sugar in my daily meals and am less strict with myself when I'm eating out or socially. I found during reintroduction that I don't have serious intolerances but some mental responses I could do without to grains. I do know I overall feel better eating this way too. So I've found a balance that works for me and for every food decision I make that is outside of the W30 realm I ask myself if it is worth it and if it is special. 

If you want to attempt WholeForever by all means, but even Dallas and Melissa don't do that (as implied above). 

I'll chime in with my opinion. And this is only my opinion based on my own experience. I don't believe there is anything technically wrong with Whole 30 forever. I just don't think it's realistic.

Last year, my first W30 was actually a W100. I've also done a number of successful Whole 30's since then. To stay on plan, I had to withdraw from a number of social events, or exhibit an iron will when I chose to show up. Knowing it was temporary made it much easier, but I don't want to do it on a permanent basis. It was hard, and wasn't always fun. Besides there are work events, travel opportunities, weddings, parties, etc, and it may be impossible to stay on plan all the time.

In between official W30's, I stay compliant about 90% of the time. There are times when I am 100% compliant for a couple of weeks, but there are other times when I'm compliant only a few days in one week. I avoid things like bread and pasta for the most part, but enjoy small amounts once in a blue moon. I have completely given up diet soda and artificial sweeteners. My

health is better without those things and I don't miss them. However, I've had pizza once or twice and I really enjoy my ice cream in the summer months. I like a little honey in my tea when I have a cold, and I want to treat myself a little bit during the holidays or other celebrations. True, there are consequences to my decisions, and I decide in that moment if an indulgence is worth it, but to W30 100% of the time would just not be enjoyable for me. Every now and then a girl just needs a cappuccino with a lot of delicious foamy milk.

Ultimately the decision is yours, but the program was never designed to be a Whole 365. Life is meant to be enjoyed. Food and celebrations are part of that enjoyment. W30 has given me the skills I need to be more in tune with how food affects me, and it keeps me from going off the reservation during dessert time. I don't recall seeing Melissa's post that you are referencing, but if my memory serves me correctly, she recently posted about indulging in a cupcake she purchased. I remember in the post she indicated that she didn't really want it, but it was there, and she ate it (paraphrased). I think it's great to incorporate the Whole 9/Whole 30 into your life, but unless my life depends on it, I would never stay on the program full time. I hope this is helpful. All the best to you. :-)

I think it's not designed to be endlessly sustainable because, unless you have true allergies or sensitivities that demand it, being _that_ strict in your diet could easily develop into its own type of disordered eating. The mindset is not healthy for the long term, as strict as the whole30 is, because it's based in restriction and like others have said, you miss out on social occasions, eating out becomes a stressful hassle, and it impedes your normal life in this current world.

Why do _you_ want it to be a WholeForever? What does it give you, that a more flexible/relaxed diet does not?

I think it's not designed to be endlessly sustainable because, unless you have true allergies or sensitivities that demand it, being _that_ strict in your diet could easily develop into its own type of disordered eating. The mindset is not healthy for the long term, as strict as the whole30 is, because it's based in restriction and like others have said, you miss out on social occasions, eating out becomes a stressful hassle, and it impedes your normal life in this current world.

Why do _you_ want it to be a WholeForever? What does it give you, that a more flexible/relaxed diet does not?

I can't answer for felicity, but I can answer that question for myself, because I've been thinking about what's going to happen after my day 30.

I know I'm not ready to trust myself to feed myself yet. I'm on day 25 and will continue thru September for a whole 60. I feel that by that time I'll have made a habit out of making good choices for myself, ones that honor my goals and my body. For me and my history of disordered eating, whole 30 is like a miracle, and it's scary to contemplate going off of it. I need a little more time. Not forever, but longer. 

Thanks for all your answers everyone.

I am 60 years old -- I have eaten healthy for long periods of my life and less healthy for long periods.

I have know I  food intolerences but they aren't that bad, so they aren't completely obvious where if I eat something it'll be like "oh that's it"

I could mess around a fair amount and feel OK, but it is not good for my health overall.

I don't stress about food or weight -- I am overweight and really quite comforable psychologically about it.

Maybe the problem is I know I can do fine NOT eathing this way but I will surely die at a younger age than if I generally stick to this system. 

I have high blood pressure, I have IBS

i want to live to a healthy feel good old age, if at all possible. I am excited about my life and want to be around for a while. I actually think humanity is about to get much wiser and it will be fun to watch.

Sure, if I am at a social event, sure I can take a meal off whole 30. Sure. I can also stick to it closely and not be perfect. Sure.

It's when I travel, which I sometimes do for long periods. Like I was in India for several months the last two winters. That's when it becomes nearly impossible, eating in restauarants everyday. And then I get home and don't get reorganized....etc.

But when I am home and in a routine -- I could do it forever.

The one thing that sometimes takes me off doing it forever is the cooking work -- it is certainly more work. I am the best cook I know, so the food is very very good when I cook for myself.

Hi Felicity, I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm 56, have IBS/Crohn's and need to stick to a strict diet even outside of W30. I spent most of my adult life with gastro problems and don't want to go back there. I did the AI W30 a month ago. I did find that eggs are not good for me all the time and need to be limited. But I'm doing a regular W30 now, but still excluding nightshades, which I have a sensitivity to and FODMAPS, which apparently cause most of my IBS problems.

Like you, it's easy for me to comply when in controlled situations. But I was away on vacation last week and I did enjoy myself. But I don't think you are talking about 100% W30 forever. I do know that Dallas drinks milk when not doing an official W30, and both he an Melissa do eat W30 non compliant foods at times.

So the best thing would to stick to the 90%, only straying when you think it's something worthwhile. And maybe doing W30 at other times for as long as possible. There is this chart that you should ask yourself when having something that is normally not what you would eat:

http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Whole9%27s-Guide-to-Nutritional-Off-Roading.pdf

BTW, the program is Whole9, which is the 9 principles of W9. W30 refers to a 30 day adherence to those principles without straying.

Archived