Starting 28 August, join me!

francsois

Thanks for your words of encouragement Rita! Everyone's posts on this forum are keeping me on track - it's SO great to know we're all in this together.

I too was hungry most of yesterday. I didn't cave though, and envisioned the steamed fish and broccoli. I also kept myself busy by renovating my bathroom – painting cabinets, installing new hardware, etc. It was a fun distraction! Not even my husband's delicious smelling enchiladas at dinner enticed me. Instead, I opted for a baked tuna salad stuffed bell pepper for dinner, and it was delicious!

Today will be my first day to face a real challenge, and the daily Whole30 email arrived in my inbox with impeccable timing! Today we're off to the in-law's for a day of lounging by the pool, barbecuing and what is typically a day of drinking refreshing adult beverages in the hot summer sun. My mother-in-law always prepares the unhealthiest snacks, followed by even unhealthier meals. BBQ chicken can be healthy, but she likes to lather on sugary BBQ sauces and then serve a side of mayo-laden salads. She's at least gotten used to my GF/DF eating habits, but I'll get the full interrogation today when I pass on the tortilla chips and guacamole.

Rita, the salad you just linked to may be my saving grace – it sounds delicious, looks delicious and may very well pass as something more than, “hippy grass food,†as my father-in-law likes to call my food choices. I will also pick up a bottle of soda water and limes before heading to their house, so I can have a mocktail and pretend like I'm drinking a vodka soda, which is typically what I'd have.

So, starting off with a large, deliciously healthy breakfast of ground turkey, eggs and lots of veggies this morning, which I'll follow with a healthy snack in attempt to keep myself nice and full before heading to the in-laws. I will definitely pack healthy snacks to take with me too in case the temptations get too strong - at least I'll have something healthy to eat instead of being stranded and surrounded by bad choices!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well! Those of you stateside, don't let the Labor Day BBQ's get'cha down!  :) 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I join you all? I started on August 27, so this is day 6 for me! I was a vegetarian for three years before this, so this is taking some getting used to. (I'm eating organic chicken, turkey and lots of seafood, but cannot bring myself to eat pork or beef right now.) So far I feel good. This weekend has been the toughest stretch so far. It was all I could do not to order Thai take-out on Friday night. And watching college football just isn't the same without a beer in hand! Oh well. I pushed through and made smart choices and feel like a pick up a little momentum/will power with each healthy choice I make.

Like most of you, I'm not doing this to necessarily lose any weight, I just want to take better care of my body and overcome my sweet tooth!

Normally working a long holiday weekend is a little depressing but at least it keeps me busy and distracted enough not to cheat. By the time I get home I am just too exhausted to eat anything other than what I have already prepped which is all compliant foods. I totally empathize with you BBQ-ers and weekend warriors.  This first weekend has to be the toughest but as we pick up momentum from time invested and each other the next few should be a breeze. No matter what the struggles and eating concerns you may have I hope you are enjoying a beautiful day with friends and family!!!!

Thanks for your words of encouragement Rita! Everyone's posts on this forum are keeping me on track - it's SO great to know we're all in this together.

I too was hungry most of yesterday. I didn't cave though, and envisioned the steamed fish and broccoli. I also kept myself busy by renovating my bathroom – painting cabinets, installing new hardware, etc. It was a fun distraction! Not even my husband's delicious smelling enchiladas at dinner enticed me. Instead, I opted for a baked tuna salad stuffed bell pepper for dinner, and it was delicious!

Today will be my first day to face a real challenge, and the daily Whole30 email arrived in my inbox with impeccable timing! Today we're off to the in-law's for a day of lounging by the pool, barbecuing and what is typically a day of drinking refreshing adult beverages in the hot summer sun. My mother-in-law always prepares the unhealthiest snacks, followed by even unhealthier meals. BBQ chicken can be healthy, but she likes to lather on sugary BBQ sauces and then serve a side of mayo-laden salads. She's at least gotten used to my GF/DF eating habits, but I'll get the full interrogation today when I pass on the tortilla chips and guacamole.

Rita, the salad you just linked to may be my saving grace – it sounds delicious, looks delicious and may very well pass as something more than, “hippy grass food,†as my father-in-law likes to call my food choices. I will also pick up a bottle of soda water and limes before heading to their house, so I can have a mocktail and pretend like I'm drinking a vodka soda, which is typically what I'd have.

So, starting off with a large, deliciously healthy breakfast of ground turkey, eggs and lots of veggies this morning, which I'll follow with a healthy snack in attempt to keep myself nice and full before heading to the in-laws. I will definitely pack healthy snacks to take with me too in case the temptations get too strong - at least I'll have something healthy to eat instead of being stranded and surrounded by bad choices!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well! Those of you stateside, don't let the Labor Day BBQ's get'cha down!  :)

Well done resiting the tempatations as you did pepper!

Day 6, we are doing well! I am glad we are all doing this together. 

Here is a picture (attached) of my lunch yesterday. I must admit, the thought of eating it was not THAT appealing.... I topped it of with olive oil/balsamic vinegar and curry powder! My colleague looked at my dish like it was pile of steaming turds, but politely did not say anything except "yummy"!

I feel good, sleeping a lot more, and feel like sleeping too. I dream a lot, which must say something about the quality of my sleep. I live in a small rural town, so Crossfit is not an option, but I have decided to incorporate some of their exercises into my training regime (which will start shortly).

Cheers

Francsois

post-34734-0-89241700-1378074396_thumb.j

Can I join you all? I started on August 27, so this is day 6 for me! I was a vegetarian for three years before this, so this is taking some getting used to. (I'm eating organic chicken, turkey and lots of seafood, but cannot bring myself to eat pork or beef right now.) So far I feel good. This weekend has been the toughest stretch so far. It was all I could do not to order Thai take-out on Friday night. And watching college football just isn't the same without a beer in hand! Oh well. I pushed through and made smart choices and feel like a pick up a little momentum/will power with each healthy choice I make.

Like most of you, I'm not doing this to necessarily lose any weight, I just want to take better care of my body and overcome my sweet tooth!

Hello Carolinagirl, please join us, welcome aboard. having been a vegetaran a change to paleo must be quite a mind-shift.

Cheers

Francsois

Pepper, I hope you did well at your mother-in-law's.  How did you like the salad? Jicama is not a very common vegetable, and in my opinion it's an optional ingredient, sometimes I replace it with sweet pepper and it tastes as good.

We had a family gathering at my aunt's house and I knew that none of the foods will be whole30 complaint. So, we came with our own dish - a cauliflower salad (steamed carrots, cauliflower, chicken breast, hard boiled eggs, cucumbers, green onions, fresh dill and mayo). It was a lot of cooking and chopping, but everybody at the party enjoyed the salad, and it was the only thing I had with some mineral water. It felt good to be strong enough to skip all the alcohol, cakes and chocolates. Day 6 is pretty much over.

The salad was a hit Rita! It was great too, because it allowed me to bypass the sugary, mayo thick coleslaw she had made! Instead of paleo mayo, I used creamed avocado (avocado + spices + lime juice blended together).

I succeeded in not straying - hooray! I love jicama, so in addition to it being in the salad, I also packed along some jicama sticks that I ate with guacamole while everyone else ate tortilla chips. I also bought a bottle of soda water and added a few mint leaves and lime slices so I could have something other than water to drink, and everyone just assumed there was vodka in it. Haha! Yesterday morning I roasted some almonds (raw almonds, coconut oil, rosemary, cinnamon & ginger powder = YUM!) so I packed some of those along with some raisins to help curb any sweet cravings, and boy did they help! I was even able to resist the most delicious looking strawberry pie ever - which probably only looked delicious because I knew I couldn't eat it. ;)

I downloaded the Nom Nom Paleo iPad app and have flagged several delicious meals to get me through the week. I've also been cooking and prepping all kinds of foods so everything is convenient and ready to go for the days I come home from work hungry and mentally drained. Instead of going out like we used to do, I've got plenty of healthy, easy options waiting in my fridge.

This morning I woke up early and was not starving, as I usually am first thing in the morning. I've definitely got more energy, and like you Francsois, I've been sleeping like a baby lately, which is great!

Because I've got knee issues (damaged cartilage from years of bootcamps, running, etc. and not listening to my body) I can't do any hardcore exercise, as much as I'd love to be, so I've been doing yoga instead. I go twice a week at work, and the days I don't go to class, I use a fabulous iPad app called Yoga Studio and start my morning with a nice, relaxing and strengthening yoga routine.

One weekend down! You're all doing so well and it's been great motivation to read all of your posts!

HI All

I decided to move my start date from Aug 28th to the 29th(assuming you don't throw me out of this thread), because I had a salad with feta and dressing then which I now realize is not permitted, and I want to do a full 30 days clean.  So I am now 4 days in, and find it a lot easier than I expected. One downside for me has been not preparing more in advance.  So I find I am eating a lot of the same foods all the time, which is fine but eventually may become monotonous.

Haven't noticed any changes in my body, more, or energy levels yet.  Other than maybe the need to eat less because I am not as hungry on the plan as I used to be.

Other big news is that it looks good for my family to adopt a rescue dog this week!  Spent the weekend fixing the gaps in the old fence, which was good activity outside.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Walt

So today, for some reason, I am feeling overly munchie. All I want to do is munch on something. I'm not hungry though... just trying to keep myself busy. It's hard having my husband and oldest daughter home, because they snack a lot. I'm just going to try to busy myself... and not think about it. And I'm not tired... just cranky. And I feel like I have energy to do something, but don't feel like doing anything. lol

Breakfast: ground turkey, spinach, kale, avocado, cabbage, carrots, with olive oil and vinegar dressing, and an apple.

Lunch: compliant bacon and sweet potatoes, and a monkey salad (coconut, cashews, banana).

I'm about to try to make mayo, so wish me luck!

Hope everyone is doing great!

So today, for some reason, I am feeling overly munchie. All I want to do is munch on something. I'm not hungry though... just trying to keep myself busy. It's hard having my husband and oldest daughter home, because they snack a lot. I'm just going to try to busy myself... and not think about it. And I'm not tired... just cranky. And I feel like I have energy to do something, but don't feel like doing anything. lol

Breakfast: ground turkey, spinach, kale, avocado, cabbage, carrots, with olive oil and vinegar dressing, and an apple.

Lunch: compliant bacon and sweet potatoes, and a monkey salad (coconut, cashews, banana).

Munch something then, as long is it is Whole30!

HI All

I decided to move my start date from Aug 28th to the 29th(assuming you don't throw me out of this thread), because I had a salad with feta and dressing then which I now realize is not permitted, and I want to do a full 30 days clean.  So I am now 4 days in, and find it a lot easier than I expected. One downside for me has been not preparing more in advance.  So I find I am eating a lot of the same foods all the time, which is fine but eventually may become monotonous.

Haven't noticed any changes in my body, more, or energy levels yet.  Other than maybe the need to eat less because I am not as hungry on the plan as I used to be.

Other big news is that it looks good for my family to adopt a rescue dog this week!  Spent the weekend fixing the gaps in the old fence, which was good activity outside.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Walt

We wont throw you out of the thread! the more the merrier. Stay!

The salad was a hit Rita! It was great too, because it allowed me to bypass the sugary, mayo thick coleslaw she had made! Instead of paleo mayo, I used creamed avocado (avocado + spices + lime juice blended together).

I succeeded in not straying - hooray! I love jicama, so in addition to it being in the salad, I also packed along some jicama sticks that I ate with guacamole while everyone else ate tortilla chips. I also bought a bottle of soda water and added a few mint leaves and lime slices so I could have something other than water to drink, and everyone just assumed there was vodka in it. Haha! Yesterday morning I roasted some almonds (raw almonds, coconut oil, rosemary, cinnamon & ginger powder = YUM!) so I packed some of those along with some raisins to help curb any sweet cravings, and boy did they help! I was even able to resist the most delicious looking strawberry pie ever - which probably only looked delicious because I knew I couldn't eat it. ;)

I downloaded the Nom Nom Paleo iPad app and have flagged several delicious meals to get me through the week. I've also been cooking and prepping all kinds of foods so everything is convenient and ready to go for the days I come home from work hungry and mentally drained. Instead of going out like we used to do, I've got plenty of healthy, easy options waiting in my fridge.

This morning I woke up early and was not starving, as I usually am first thing in the morning. I've definitely got more energy, and like you Francsois, I've been sleeping like a baby lately, which is great!

Because I've got knee issues (damaged cartilage from years of bootcamps, running, etc. and not listening to my body) I can't do any hardcore exercise, as much as I'd love to be, so I've been doing yoga instead. I go twice a week at work, and the days I don't go to class, I use a fabulous iPad app called Yoga Studio and start my morning with a nice, relaxing and strengthening yoga routine.

One weekend down! You're all doing so well and it's been great motivation to read all of your posts!

The Nom Nom paleo App sounds great, I want end up using it, I hate cooking. I bought "Well Fed" by M. Joulwan, very god paleo recipes, but I am a lazy chef. I eat the same stuff every day. Eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch and stir-fry for supper. I am going to try and rustle up a recipe per week fro the Well Fed book though. Well done for not straying Pepper!

Cheers

Francsois

Pepper- Jimaca and guacamole!  You are a genius.  I can't believe I never thought about that before.  That's gonna be my new favorite. I also didn't know NomNom had an app so thanks for that tip too.  She doesn't have an app, but PaleOMG is pretty fantastic too. She also has some stellar crockpot recipes which is my saving grace a lot of times.

Rita- its amazing to me how when I tell people how I eat they have adverse reactions. However, when I feed them what I cook they have nothing but yummy noises to make.  ;)

Carolinagirl- Good luck making the switch! Meat eating is for sure the tastier side to be on!!!!!

AshleyAnth- The beauty of the Paleo mindset is that you are totally allowed to eat when you are hungry. Per my early comment, guacamole and jimaca is a fantastic muchie choice. 

Walt- I hate to be a party pooper, but you just may have to wait a little more than 4 days to really see any results, but by the end I guarantee you will.

Francsois- Well Fed is AMAZING! You can also try a lot of her recipes online at her website clothesmakethegirl.com I encourage you to try her chocolate chili recipe. Its been a while since I've made it but I'm pretty sure its Whole30 compliant.

The first time I did a Whole30 I remember trying new vegetables and fruits were a big part of it.  Has any one tried anything new that they didn't know they liked? or hated? 

Hi Everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and Labor Day. All is well on my end. Day 5 is over and I feel just fine. I am coming to this whole 30 from a vegan diet, and as one who has to watch my blood glucose I seldom ate grains and did my best to avoid sweets. I haven't been tempted by anything off the plan, but maybe that's because I'm so enamored with actually eating meat! I've been grilling steaks and burgers on my new George Foreman grill, and still eating lots of veggies. I've also been eating cauliflower mashed potatoes and eggs cooked all kinds of ways. I'm not sure if its my old habits harrassing me, but I keep having the sneaky suspicion that I am eating too much. Like my portions are too big and there is too much fat in my foods. I really want to weigh and measure, but I refuse to. I keep telling myself to trust the process. I do cardio everyday ànd lift weights 4 days a week. I am not hungry between meals but I am eating solidly three times a day. I plan to just keep eating according to the plan, maybe reduce my portions sizes just a bit, and wait until the 30 days are over and see what the results are! Good luck to everyone as we continue on this journey of health and awareness!

I'm about to try to make mayo so wish me luck

I made homemade paleo mayo and it really turned out great!

Hi Everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and Labor Day. All is well on my end. Day 5 is over and I feel just fine. I am coming to this whole 30 from a vegan diet, and as one who has to watch my blood glucose I seldom ate grains and did my best to avoid sweets. I haven't been tempted by anything off the plan, but maybe that's because I'm so enamored with actually eating meat! I've been grilling steaks and burgers on my new George Foreman grill, and still eating lots of veggies. I've also been eating cauliflower mashed potatoes and eggs cooked all kinds of ways. I'm not sure if its my old habits harrassing me, but I keep having the sneaky suspicion that I am eating too much. Like my portions are too big and there is too much fat in my foods. I really want to weigh and measure, but I refuse to. I keep telling myself to trust the process. I do cardio everyday ànd lift weights 4 days a week. I am not hungry between meals but I am eating solidly three times a day. I plan to just keep eating according to the plan, maybe reduce my portions sizes just a bit, and wait until the 30 days are over and see what the results are! Good luck to everyone as we continue on this journey of health and awareness!

Tracy, it must be a huge change for you to start eating meat again - how are you feeling? What made you decide to start eating meat again?

In terms of your meals, if you're sticking to the meal template you should be fine. You need the fats - most of us are conditioned to think fat is bad so sometimes it's quite difficult to think what we are having with these meals is ok!

You mentioned cauliflower mashed potato - do you mean as a substitute for mash, only using cauliflower? That's one of my favourites, I do it in the food processor and add steamed leek and garlic. Sweet potato makes great mash too, just stay away from the normal potatoes.

If you're working out, make sure you have the pre and post WO meals - they will really help with giving you energy to workout and recover from your exercise. PreWO is fat and protein (HB eggs are perfect!) and postWO is lean protein and starchy vegie carbs :)

Well done on avoiding the temptation, and realising if you snacked it would only be out of boredom, and not actual hunger. Keeping busy is the best way to avoid snacking! Could you go for a walk or find a good book?

Usually, if I find myself with spare time, I start prepping more food. It keeps me busy and the time flies....and the job is done for later on :)

Pepper- Jimaca and guacamole!  You are a genius.  I can't believe I never thought about that before.  That's gonna be my new favorite. I also didn't know NomNom had an app so thanks for that tip too.  She doesn't have an app, but PaleOMG is pretty fantastic too. She also has some stellar crockpot recipes which is my saving grace a lot of times.

Rita- its amazing to me how when I tell people how I eat they have adverse reactions. However, when I feed them what I cook they have nothing but yummy noises to make.  ;)

Carolinagirl- Good luck making the switch! Meat eating is for sure the tastier side to be on!!!!!

AshleyAnth- The beauty of the Paleo mindset is that you are totally allowed to eat when you are hungry. Per my early comment, guacamole and jimaca is a fantastic muchie choice. 

Walt- I hate to be a party pooper, but you just may have to wait a little more than 4 days to really see any results, but by the end I guarantee you will.

Francsois- Well Fed is AMAZING! You can also try a lot of her recipes online at her website clothesmakethegirl.com I encourage you to try her chocolate chili recipe. Its been a while since I've made it but I'm pretty sure its Whole30 compliant.

The first time I did a Whole30 I remember trying new vegetables and fruits were a big part of it.  Has any one tried anything new that they didn't know they liked? or hated? 

Thanks Deb!!! I will remember that for the rest of the time. However my munchies were only because i was bored... not because I was hungry. And I was thinking too, maybe I didn't get enough protein in? I don't know... but today is a new day! And the start of a new week (yesterday doesn't count as new this week lol). My husband is at work, and my oldest is at school! I have GOT to try this jicama and guacamole. I've never had jicama, because I don't know what to do with it! lol

Last time I did something like this, I tried ALL KINDS of fruits and veggies... eggplant, kumquat, kale, pablano and serrano peppers, avocado (including guacamole)zucchini, squash, asparagus.... I ended up liking pretty much all of it.

This time... I think for me it's more the mixing of the foods... like adding coconut, banana, and cashews together. Or putting cinnamon and nutmeg on my fruits...

For the first time though, I will be using coconut oil to cook! Not sure what to do, ,but I'll figure it out!

Well done on avoiding the temptation, and realising if you snacked it would only be out of boredom, and not actual hunger. Keeping busy is the best way to avoid snacking! Could you go for a walk or find a good book?

Usually, if I find myself with spare time, I start prepping more food. It keeps me busy and the time flies....and the job is done for later on :)

Thanks for the advice! I normally will food prep. Having the family home though, it wasn't very easy to do. I will be doing it today though! 

I did end up going for a walk with the baby, and my oldest riding her bike. And then my grandparents came over, and we all went for another walk, so that helped. :)

For the first time though, I will be using coconut oil to cook! Not sure what to do, ,but I'll figure it out!

You just put it in the pan and it'll melt like butter :)

If you want to roast vegies with it, I find it easiest to heat the oil in the roasting pan before throwing the vegies in to coat them.

I'm about to try to make mayo so wish me luck

I made homemade paleo mayo and it really turned out great!

I had a mayo fail!!! I'm going to try again when I get more olive oil. Hopefully it works next time!

You just put it in the pan and it'll melt like butter :)

If you want to roast vegies with it, I find it easiest to heat the oil in the roasting pan before throwing the vegies in to coat them.

I just tried it this morning... melted in the pan first, then threw some zucchini and peppers in there. It really has no taste to it at all! I was kind of surprised! But it turned out good :)

I keep thinking I'm eating too much as well... but I've lost inches I know... haven't checked or weighed myself, but I can tell by the way my clothes go on. And I definitely FEEL like I'm eating more than I did before, and maybe I am. But it's all healthy and aids in a healthy gut, so apparently it's okay!

I know too, when I ate like this before, and didn't count calories, I had no problems. I had a 16% body fat and weighed 117 (I'm 5'1"). AND I was a size 0 at more expensive stores, a 3 for cheap clothes. 

Hi Tracy, that is the lovely thing about paleo is that it is difficult to eat too much. That concern is probably a relic of old ingrained habits and concerns. If you feel like eating, do so, as long as it is  Whole30 compliant. Apparently after a few weeks your natural satiety etc. kicks in, and then it is difficult to overeat. That Is according to it starts with food". Good luck!

Cheers

Francsois

Archived