Stopping Whole30 early, then restarting again...

Maycat

I'm thinking about stopping my Whole30 early, so I can eat something special at an event, then starting again. If this was my first one, I wouldn't bother stopping, but this is my 4th Whole30 in a year. I plan on doing them every few months, and try to off road the best I can, but last time we had so much traveling that post-Whole30 I needed to start over sooner than I thought.

This will be day 23 when I stop. I will be at a work party for my boss with a custom made gluten-free chocolate cake. I actually have no craving for this cake, but I am thinking how often do I come across an actual good cake that I can eat? I have been gluten-free/paleo for 2 1/2 years, so I rarely am able to eat cake at a party. 

So, is this a bad idea? I like eating Whole30 full time, but this is a rare occasion. It's not like I crave cake, but I don't know if I could pass this up. The only thing I worry about this that sugar may make me feel crappy for a few days.

Thoughts from other Whole30 veterans?

It wouldn't be a whole 30 if you have the cake - do you want the whole 30 more than the cake? You can eat what you like, and its for occasions like these that whole 365 isn't recommended....sometimes enjoying a really good piece of cake might be worth the sacrifice.

Presuming you have already done reintro's and the cake is that good...eat the cake!

I recently stopped a Whole30 early (my 7th I think?).  I had a reason that was good enough for me and I re-started as soon as it felt practical.  I'm not sure yet how I feel about it.  I didn't stop/restart any previous Whole30s and it was different to do that.  But not bad.  Just different.  It's probably how I'll be living my life from now on, really - live Whole30 almost all of the time, and off-road rarely.  So what you're suggesting may be more a matter of riding your own bike, so to speak, than of stopping/restarting a Whole30.

Learning to conciously make good decisions about healthy food is the point of Whole30 (imho).  Not following rules.  The rules just help you get to your goal of ruling your cravings instead of them ruling you.

If you didn't intend to eat the cake but accepted a piece out of craving  / social guilt and then finished yours PLUS that of someone who carelessly left the icing behind = bad day.  Making a clear decision ahead of time to end at day 23 on your fourth whole30 to enjoy a piece of cake at a celebration = good day.

Just wanted to share that I ate the piece of cake, and it was ok. It wasn't the best cake, although the filling was good. It was yesterday, and today I had sugar cravings. So today, I started over the Whole30. I have cravings but everything is ok so far.

Thanks for all the help!

I also think it's useful to know that the next time any kind of 'cake' is on the menu.  It's good to remember that the cost benefit analysis doesn't add up - a few bites of 'pretty good' cake = a few days of sugar cravings to take you further off road.

My daugther is 12 and is a picky eater.  For better or worse she is even picky about junk food.  She doesn't like cake, for example.  Obviously she goes to lots of birthday parties... and she simply doesn't have cake.  Ice cream is a different story :) but we were recently at a party where there was no other sweets besides cake - and she happily ate her watermelon instead.  While her eating habits are not great - she doesn't eat much and most of it SAD.... I think my changes will affect her at least along the lines as what's available and being a good example.

But I'm encouraged that she is secure enough to ride her own bike and not just eat whatever everyone else is - even if it doesn't 'sing' to her.  She is also becoming an athlete so I'm hoping she will start to see 'food as fuel'.

I have found in my own life that the things I break my good habits for don't seem to ever live up to my  expectations. It is kinda like talking up a movie I loved as a kid --Against a crooked sky-- to my husband, finally find a copy on Netflix, sit down excitedly to watch it....And it wasn't nearly what I remember it being. Just kinda eh, an other spaghetti western pretty much.  

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, thank you so much for this thread.  I have been really struggling the last few days, and feel so much better after reading this.  I think being health-oriented and wellness-minded are the overall themes of the Whole30 and as long as we are still keeping ourselves aligned with those two things the occasional off-plan indulgence is to be expected, not feared. I'm so thankful for the wisdom and thoughtfulness this forum provides. 

I like this thread too. Thanks for posting. I agree that being able to consciously make healthy choices about food being the desired end of the W30. I certainly see the value in completing the 30 days -- which you have many times before -- but you've been there/done that and know what you want out of this. It's a constant learning experience. I think you did the right thing even though the cake wasn't 'all that'.

Archived