Reintros and Support

Jomyke

Hey folks. Thought I'd stop in and say, I'm s!starting over...

This off roading experience has really made me crabby and cranky, puffy, gassy, and miserable.

It's only been 3 weeks!

I've been resistant to giving up dairy for so many years, I drink the raw stuff, HOW can it be bad? Well, time to admit that it just is bad for ME.

I'm having leftover steak/onions/peppers wrapped in a boston lettuce leaf for breakfast

hearty beef and cabbage soup and a cup of natural apple sauce for lunch

Probably eat the rest of the above for supper tonight.

Bringing some coconut milk for my pumpkin spice coffee today, as of today, I am FINISHED with dairy.  I'm really pissed about how puffy my eyes/face are every morning, maybe it's seasonal allergies, but maybe it's dairy, and I owe it to myself to figure it out.

Marie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still testing foods out, and so far not much has passed muster. Rice gives me heartburn, soy is a no-go, as is even a trace of wheat or corn. I had a paleo-compliant dessert that had a bit of baking powder in it, and was pretty miserable afterwards. And I've been lamenting the loss of pretty much all baked goods since then. Didn't plan to have them often, but we usually have gluten-free cupcakes for birthdays, and there's no way I could eat one now! So boo. I'm lamenting the loss of dessert in general though, since I seem to have issues with even small amounts of cane sugar. Thought I was okay with chocolate (70-85% dark), but I get spots on my face almost every time I eat it. Now to figure out if it is a particular brand or all of them, since it doesn't happen every time! Something has been giving me tremendous amounts of eczema on my head these last few days, and I suspect the culprit is the small amount of sugar that has snuck back into my diet this last week or so.

I also had a weird random reaction to figs. Ate a couple of figs and my tongue felt blistered a few minutes later. Cooked the figs into a compote a couple of days later, and tested them cooked, and it still happened, but to a much lesser degree. So no more figs for me, as much as I love them and as rarely as I would have had them (about once a year!)

The promising thing in all of this is hat I've had several days of NO rash on my head, which I don't think has happened in over 30 years, so I'm excited about it clearing up! Additionally, I've lost another couple of pounds, and I'm down to what I weighed when I got married eight years and three children ago. Woo hoo!

Thought I was okay with chocolate (70-85% dark), but I get spots on my face almost every time I eat it. Now to figure out if it is a particular brand or all of them, since it doesn't happen every time! 

If you can get Taza chocolate near you, that might be something to try. http://www.tazachocolate.com/

No gluten, dairy or soy in their chocolate. My favorites are the Mexicano Discs in Salted Almond and the Coco Besos Coconut Bar.

I hope everyone is well. It has slowed down here!

I reintroduced gluten last Monday...with donuts. They were SO GOOD, but by day 2, I really noticed the bloating. My tummy had been flatter than it had ever been upon finishing my Whole 46, and one day of gluten had me looking 4 months pregnant. I also felt full. I now know why I have so much trouble getting enough to eat when I am on-plan. I don't have all that junk keeping me blown up! I also felt extremely jittery, but that may have been all that sugar. After 2 days, we went back to Whole30 eating...until a trip to Olive Garden on Friday night. They had pumpkin spice cheesecake, and I could. Not. Help. It. It was so good, and I was so uncomfortable that night! Apparently, gluten and dairy are tolerable alone, but combine them and there is terrible gas, and some cramping, and general digestive turmoil. I'm not saying it wasn't worth it. ( it was REALLY good!), but now I know to make sure I choose carefully and know it's worth it before I do that again! I'm still a little bloated, even 5 days later.

Last night we reintroduced rice, and this morning, oatmeal. So far, no problems. We don't plan to reintroduce corn until we really want something with corn in it. Same with quinoa. We also probably won't eat rice very often, but I was curious. Next week, peanuts.

Is there anyone out there as old as me?  I am 59, in menopause, very active, eat clean and have a dickens of a time losing weight.  I finish my Whole30 on August 30 plus a few days.  I didn't go off track but had to eat out and didn't feel very good after that so a few extra days were recommended. I haven't stepped on the scale yet but was able to buy a size 12 dress last weekend that I needed for a party.  I keep thinking it was mis-sized because every other dress I tried on was 14 or 16.  But my pants fit better too. We will see this weekend.

Note to Bojibelle. I am also 59 (jan 16, 1954) and feel as though I was reading about myself when reading your post. Meanopause did a number on my mid-section and it has been close to impossible to reverse the damage until now. But, I have to say this is the first time I've really been able to stick to something because it seems with the whole30 (finished three days ago), I'm just not hungry. I lost nine pounds and am aiming for 15 more so I can get down to a consistent Size 10 again. I'm only 5' 4 1/2" and have a small -medium frame and it seems that's not too much to ask. Discovering paleo eating has been amazing for me. I'm not planning to add back any gluten because it was identified on a food sensitivity test I did at the health club as causing issues. And, I am only adding back red wine in moderation and some dairy (no identified issue on food sensitivity) like hard cheese and yogurt.

Back to your post, though, isn't it amazing how hard it can be to crack into any weight loss at this age? It seems like it is so much harder than it was in our 30s or 40s. We can't go too far on the exercise since it may cause a hormonal imbalance. I've tried to add yoga, but that's been difficult since my mind just wanders into all the things I want to do when the class is over. Meditation is also on my list, but I haven't been able to figure that out, either. I am certain that I'll stay on most of the Whole30 plan for eating and will check the website for ideas for variety in proteins and vegetables.

I noticed your post was over a month ago and I'm just wondering how you're doing and if you've had any great progress since then? Just want to encourage you and thank you for your post.

Archived