Whole30 September 1 2013

Marjan

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marjan

Well... it is time again for me to Whole 30.  I have done three successful rounds (My last one in July 2013) but August was a bit of a disaster with vacations, etc.  I don't do too well with the re-introduction of food without brakes.  My whole family is starting a healthy challenge on September 1, 2013.  I will be doing W30 for my food and continuing with functional fitness workouts.  I love, love, love being on the Whole 30 and I am a great success story when on plan but I when the 30 (45 or 60) days is up, I am legendary for my crash and burns.

The last 30 days in July, I lost 15.5 lbs, I made great progress and I followed the program with 100% compliance.  Every time I learn something new about myself during re-introduction but this past time I finished on July 31st and I was on vacation on August 2nd.  I feel good but truely look forward to feeling exceptional agian!  My wife is not doing W30 but her and the kids will be eating much of the same foods but they add some cheese, bread or rice options to what I make for the family.

For veggies, I normally go to the local farmers market on Saturday or Sunday to buy what is in season and locally grown.  I then shop at the traditonal grocery store on Sundays and buy all the rest of my veggies.  I have salads almost every day for lunch and dinner.  Some find this boring but for me the simplicity works and i do love my salads.  I normally bring leftovers from the night before and often a fruit or some nuts on workout days when I need a little extra in my mid-day meal. 

For breakfasts, I am again pretty boring.  Most mornings I have poached eggs together with either a sweet potato hash, or cut veggies, or fruit or a leftover side dish. 

My shopping consists of lots of greens, peppers, tomato, onion, cuke, carrot, beets, and zuchinni.  Together with sweet potato, these veggies form most of our "regular" veggie needs.  I too buy on the weekend but often need to get more greens about Wednesday.  Often I hear about the price of eating paleo as a drawback but I can say with certainty that we have saved.  With good quality meats, fish, local veggies and fruits, and eating W30, I am always bringing my lunch and dinners when out and away from home.  This savings alone is much more than any increase in prices for well sourced protein, targeted organic veggies or fruits.

Cheers

DJ

I decided I'm going to keep a journal of this and write how I feel everyday. I went to Barnes and Noble today just to look around and found a cute little notebook with owls on them(I love owls ). I am going to keep in mind as I go thru this, that there are other people doing this with me and that we CAN all do this together...........Caroline :)

Hello September Whole 30-ers.  I will be starting my second W30 on September 1st.  My first time around (July) I found the community support on a thread like this to be helpful.  I resonate with what DJ posted.  I didn't do very well with reintroduction while on vacation.  But in the spirit of "research" I can say with certainty that eating clean is just better for me, physically and mentally.  So I really look forward to starting on Sunday, and will enjoy hearing from others.

Hey y'all! I'm so glad that there are other folks starting on Sept 1 that I can talk to. I have a hard time sticking to something unless I have some serious support. So, thanks in advance!

This will be my first whole30, and I'm so excited! I purchased the book (It Starts With Food) and have almost finished it. I recommend reading it if you haven't! I've also begun emptying my fridge of all the NOs, which is pretty much everything... I'll be heading to the grocery store Saturday to stock up on the first week's supply - any suggestions for what I'll need to survive the first week? 

A little background:

My mom and sister just found out that they have a gluten intolerance. Since it seems to be genetic and I have all the same issues they do, it's likely that I do too. That's one of the motivators to start this - I'm going to try to make them do it too. Another is that I got married September 1 of last year  :wub:  and my husband and I have put on more than the 'newlywed nine' and really need a kick start back into eating right and being healthy. He was deployed last week, so this will help serve as a distraction from missing him all the time and sort of a 'new year resolution' on our anniversary. I live in Augusta, Ga and just recently discovered an online farmers' market (http://augusta.locallygrown.net). I haven't shopped here yet, but I feel like this will really help in making healthy food choices. I'm also a 'DJ' and like the other DJ said, I like simple. I think I'll be taking a page out of his book and using salads and leftovers for much of the time. I did stumble upon a website that looks like it might also be helpful with recipe ideas - http://www.thefoodee.com/tag/whole30

Anyway, good luck! Can't wait to start!

~ Dani Jill

HEY THERE WHOLE 30ians!!!

I'll be starting my 3rd W30 on September 1st!!! Going to push past the 30 days as much as possible but my birthday falls in the first week of October so that'll be a challenge for sure!

Can't wait to get back on board and share the success with everyone!!!

Cheers!!

-Littlepeanut

YAY! Just wanted to say hi to all of you guys who'll be embarking on this little journey in a few days. 

As someone 28 days into my first Whole 30, I can tell you all that it's daunting, but completely worth it in every way. If you're not careful, it might just change your life. :)

I won't be joining you this time around (I'm on to reintroduction), but will keep an eye on how you guys are doing. 

congrats on finishing your first W30!!!!!!!!!

YAY! Just wanted to say hi to all of you guys who'll be embarking on this little journey in a few days. 

As someone 28 days into my first Whole 30, I can tell you all that it's daunting, but completely worth it in every way. If you're not careful, it might just change your life. :)

I won't be joining you this time around (I'm on to reintroduction), but will keep an eye on how you guys are doing. 

Hi littlepeanut, welcome! My birthday is September 18, so right in the middle. I promised myself a nice juicy steak from the organic butcher ;)

marjan yes.. my bday is October 6th so I'm going to do my BEST to stick to the plan.... my "dirty 30" so... maybe some ice cream wil be the big splurge lol

I am starting on Sept 1st so would love to join you!  I did a Whole 30 last January and was very successful.  I attempted another one in March but my heart wasn't in it so quit after two weeks (ate some dark chocolate).  I pretty much eat Paleo now at home but this summer I have offroaded quite a bit and have gained a decent amount of weight (beer + margaritas + social eating).  So, ready to feel the magic of a Whole 30 again but feeling a little nervous since I know the challenge and my husband is not doing it with me (he'll eat at home Whole30 at least!). 

I am prepping on Saturday (making several things for the freezer) and shopping to stock the refrigerator.  Getting excited now that I'm typing this!

I really want to be successful with this, so I signed up for the 30 days of support for 14.95. I thought it was better than not doing anything. I don't have the book, but I've read so many nutrition books over the years and know a lot  about paleo, that I don't think I really need it. I definitely need the support. I am a very big sugar addict and I know this is going to hard to do and I really don't want to fail. So happy that other people are doing this. I also posted on facebook to my friends that I was starting this and my sister in law is thinking of doing it too. I am having a cookout on day 2, but I think I'll be fine. My granddaughters will keep me busy!!!..........Caroline

I really want to be successful with this, so I signed up for the 30 days of support for 14.95. I thought it was better than not doing anything. I don't have the book, but I've read so many nutrition books over the years and know a lot  about paleo, that I don't think I really need it. I definitely need the support. I am a very big sugar addict and I know this is going to hard to do and I really don't want to fail. So happy that other people are doing this. I also posted on facebook to my friends that I was starting this and my sister in law is thinking of doing it too. I am having a cookout on day 2, but I think I'll be fine. My granddaughters will keep me busy!!!..........Caroline

I did the WHOLE30 DAILY for my 2nd one and it was EXTREMELY helpful....so you really do get your money's worth!!!! It's amazing! And remember we are in this together!! So reach out if you feel stuck or roadblock... there is no such thing as a stupid question :)

you'll do amazing! :)

Thanks little peanut, I appreciate the support. It's good to know that the support and emails I'll receive are worth it. I am just starting to write my grocery list and will start looking up recipes that I know I will eat. I am a picky eater and don't really like a lot of meat, I'm more of a seafood person.........Caroline :D

Just checked in to see if anyone had started a thread for 1 September and, voila!

I did my first W30 - though it was a W28 - in June and can't wait to do it again! We left for vacation just before June ended so I bailed intentionally. Lost 11 pounds and felt great. July and August weren't horrible and I only gained a pound; or at least that's what the scale said when I weighed myself last week. But, September is a new W30 and back to the gym. Can't wait for that either. I've been out of the country all summer and while I did do a C25K and jog 5K for the first time since 1996, I'm really looking forward to the gym. "See" you soon!

And, for any newbies, let me HIGHLY recommend the Well-Fed cookbook, in particular the chocolate chili and ginger-lime shrimp. Out of this world!

I would love to join this group.  I've done various Whole 30's  - 30, 45, 78 and  very short ones - none of them perfectly - all compliant foods but ate too much and too often. I have a big problem with fruit - I can give up fruit but I can't eat it in moderation.  I tried to eat fruit only with my meals but that didn't work.  If it's in my apartment, I want to eat it all.   My goal for this Whole 30 is not perfection just improvement.   I'm on the lean side (pretty good metabolism) so I'm not after weight loss.  I am doing this strictly to improve my relationship with food. I can overeat anything.  I have tried to use Whole 30 to solve/improve my medical issues but unfortunately, it did not help.  However, I still believe the Whole 30 - what's not to love about the Whole 30 - it's just real food, healthy food!  I also have a birthday in Sept.  I'll be 50 - and the best present I can give myself is a solid Whole 30.

I'm in! My Day 30 of my first Whole 30 is Saturday, August 31. 

I'm not ready to ride my own bike yet! 

I got the daily emails and I can highly recommend them for anyone who's considering it and has the means...just note, you need to get it at least one day before you start, so don't wait til Sunday to sign up for it! 

I second the recommendation of Well-Fed, especially the Carnitas and Rogan Josh. 

Great to see so many in this group, we can do it! And it's fun!!

Welcome DJ! Sounds like you are one of the pros in our little group :-)

Hey I don't know about being a Pro.  I do very well on the program (life is great, easy, feel fantastic) and then magically at the end of W30, 45 or 60, I find myself being a Pro at food with no brakes.  You can call me yo-yo as my health and weight improves when on W30 and then worsens when I fall of the waggon.  August was not kind but that is the past (actually present but I am hiding my head in the sand until September 1).

I am doing a W90 (Best intentions) starting on the 1st.  I need to really kick start again.  As said, I have done the program now three times with fantastic success.  I am going to the W30 Nutritional seminar in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on September 7th and look forward to even more knowledge and re-enforcement from this session.

I am working hard on preparations this week.  I spent 3 hours last night working on the workout program I intend to follow for the next 13 weeks.  I always keep active and I think I have a real winner here with a mix of gym and at-home workouts to keep me super active.  I am pushing myself more this time for some heavier lifting and additional strength work.

Fortunately, I have done this (W30) enough now that transition for day 1 is pretty easy.  For my first W30, I did a detailed journal each day and posted it here in the forum in the under the "Your Whole 30 Log" and I found the experience very helpful (cannot find it now).  I also did get the Whole 30 daily emails which were great.

I do admit that the book "It Starts With Food" was extremely helpful.  I too have volumes of nutritional books (wish I could get into fiction but can't) and of all the books I have read in my adult life... ISWF was one of the fastest and engaging reads for a non-fiction book.  I bought it at a book store because the rest of the family was getting a book and I thought I should buy one too. ISWF was there and I had heard about it and the crazy W30 plan but "knew it was not for me" as I could do my own paleo with success. I was talked into buying a book and chose ISWF.  Three days later, I had read it cover to cover and committed to doing my first W30 a few days later.  The rest is history!

I am committed again to another W30 and look forward to the stability and control that it gives me and my life.  In my group last July, the #1 thing all said was that this program gave them control over their eating that had been missing most (if not all) of their life.  The sense of empowerment that I get from the program is hard to describe (and even harder to justify why I feel I can / should deviate from the rules of the program.

More from me later!!!

Cheers

DJ

Archived