Whole30 September 1 2013

Marjan

I make cauliflower rice all the time! For years when my son was little he didn't know there was any other kind until he started going to normal people's homes and they had no idea what cauliflower rice was lol. I only use non-stick cookware so I can't help with the clean-up/eggs question. 

Caroline, you are right about the fatigue being normal, it takes a good week for your body to get used to your change and it'll tell you it's not happy in the beginning. Going into this I know to get my big workouts in early this week because I won't have the energy after another day or 2 until I acclimate better. I don't have much downtime, but if you have it, take it. Use it to rest for a few minutes here and there throughout the day this week so your tiredness doesn't end up feeling more like hunger and your 'willpower' will be reduced as well so you'll want to be prepared. Just remember it'll pass. I expect the irritability to set in by tomorrow after a 2nd restless night of no sugar. I wish I had support at work, but I live/work in such a non-health conscious area, they already think I'm crazy for working out if I mentioned I was doing the Whole 30 they'd think I was even weirder. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afternoon all!

Caroline - I too am starting to feel yucky.  Early afternoon (about 2pm) is my worst time of day normally... and on our way home from the outing I began a headache.  Usually I would have a soda is this happened.  Ah well.

If I can manage this Whole 30 it will be amazing since once we walked in the door from our morning outing I had to get a quick lunch for the kiddos who were melting down with hunger & fatigue... PB&J, cheese & crackers, carrots & dip.

Alright - off I go.  We have a Whole30 friendly dinner planned... of pork chops and a side of brussel sprouts with mushrooms.  I am glad to be trying new dishes at least!

On a side note I am doing this Whole30 with three other women locally and one said she found a compliant salad on the 'Hidden Menu' at Panera.  It uses lemon juice and olive oil.  I am going to investigate this as it will make my work meetings easier for sure!  I hate brining my lunch/dinner.

Sorry, nothing on the Panera Hidden Menu is Whole30 compliant.

Here's the website for Panera ingredients: http://www.paneranutrition.com/

They hidden menu items contain sugar, milk, wheat, and/or sulfites. 

you're in Melbourne, so nowhere near me...just wondered if the sausages were a brand that might be available nationally, or from a special/good butcher? I haven't found any compliant ones, even the gourmet ones usually have sugar!

Unfortunately these are from a local butcher that I get all my meat from - they come in frozen and I just defrost them and cook off 8 at a time so I always have something to munch on.

Before I found this butcher, I used to make my own, it is easier than it sounds! I didn't use a casing though. I would just buy good quality beef or pork mince then put it in my kitchenaide with the dough hook and whip the crap out of if until it became smooth and sticky. If you make your own you can add your own seasonings - paprika, garlic, herbs ... the sky is the limit! Then just roll them into sausage shapes and pan fry them. Even without the skin they hold together and are very sausage-like. You can freeze them or batch cook like I do. The only really important thing is that you use the right amount of salt ( I think it is between 1 and 1.5% of the weight of the mince).

Good luck!

On day 2 here and much to my delight, sweet potato is really yummy topped with homemade mayo! If it wasn't for this I would never have tried that little combo. Also, after day 1, I realize my lunch better have a starchy carb in it. Didn't do that day one and by dinner I was a monster. Sweet potato at lunch = happier me until dinner. :)

On day 2 here and much to my delight, sweet potato is really yummy topped with homemade mayo! If it wasn't for this I would never have tried that little combo. Also, after day 1, I realize my lunch better have a starchy carb in it. Didn't do that day one and by dinner I was a monster. Sweet potato at lunch = happier me until dinner. :)

I discovered this too from my last Whole30.  Sweet potatoes are awesome!

I've always loved sweet potatoes, I've just never put mayo on them before, but I was really really wanting my mayo. :)

Okay now I have to try this tomorrow.  I never really ate sweet potatoes before a Whole30.  I'd only had them at Thanksgiving when they were candied ~ covered in sugar and cinnamon and I'm not a huge fan of cinnamon.  But they are a staple for me now especially after a workout.   Great recovery veggie!

Hey all

I had a pretty good day 2.  My cold is still here and I set aside a fromal workout but I did cut the lawn, clean the eavestrough and sniped the weeds.  We also went of a family walk tonight.  Big dinner tonight with Pork Roast, Sweet potato, carrots, salad and (for the kids) Garlic Bread.  My wife and kids had chocolate moose.  Was not tempted and I feel really, really good (except for the running nose and cough).

My daughter and I made egg, saussage and veggie bakes in muffin tins this AM and they were pretty good.  Have ten more as take-to-go food for the week!

Eating on plan and looking foward to a good workout tomorrow!

Cheers

DJ

Hi all,

So here's what we ate today (Day 1):

Breakfast: 2 proscuitto wrapped mini frittatas (with mushrooms, spinach and cherry tomatoes), 1/2 apple with almond butter

Lunch: Sliced bell peppers wrapped in roast beef, cashews, baby carrots

Dinner: Pork tenderloin with roasted vegetables (Brussels sprouts, onions and carrots), "monkey salad" (banana, coconut chips and cashews) for dessert

Can some more experiences Whole 30ers let me know what they think? Feeling optimistic going into day 2! :)

Hi all,

So here's what we ate today (Day 1):

Breakfast: 2 proscuitto wrapped mini frittatas (with mushrooms, spinach and cherry tomatoes), 1/2 apple with almond butter

Lunch: Sliced bell peppers wrapped in roast beef, cashews, baby carrots

Dinner: Pork tenderloin with roasted vegetables (Brussels sprouts, onions and carrots), "monkey salad" (banana, coconut chips and cashews) for dessert

Can some more experiences Whole 30ers let me know what they think? Feeling optimistic going into day 2! :)

Your food sounds pretty tasty - I'd question portion sizes though, your breakfast sounds like it may be low in protein and vegies. Try to aim for 3-4 eggs worth of muffins, and you should try to get 2-3 cups of vegies per meal.

Perhaps try to stay away from the D word :) you can have a piece of fruit after a meal, but don't let it crowd vegies off your plate, or use it as "dessert".

Hi all,

yesterday (day 2) was a pretty hectic day for me. Son (3) had to go into hospital (small op) and daughters had their first schoolday again.

This wiped me out completely. I did ok with my food though! Yay for me!

I had a look at the Whole30 timeline and I already seem to deal with headaches....might be the lack of sleep as well. But I certainly do not feel well today. I had a sleep in the morning because I was so tired and dreamt about eating sweets and then when I had them in my mouth I realised I was on the Whole30 so I would spit them out....

Well, its day three, I'm still feel a little fatigued but not as bad as yesterday and no headaches. I am not feeling very hungry, but the emails says to eat anyhow, which I will do. Going back to work today and have my lunch all packed and ready to go. Hope everyone is doing well on their day three!!!

Awful sleep last night, hectic morning and trying to choke down eggs and olive and spinach as not sure when lunch will come.  Life is easier on a 3 day holiday :)    Let's hope for a good one.  Tired = mindless eating for me usually.  Ate an extra egg to protect from this. 

I had a look at the Whole30 timeline and I already seem to deal with headaches....might be the lack of sleep as well. But I certainly do not feel well today. I had a sleep in the morning because I was so tired and dreamt about eating sweets and then when I had them in my mouth I realised I was on the Whole30 so I would spit them out....

So funny!   I started to lick a yogurt spoon mindlessly and almost did have to spit out!  Hope your son feels better.

Morning... starting Day 3 here.  I got my walk in this morning - good since I lightly rolled my ankle this weekend.  Waiting for my husband and school age daughter to leave the house before I make my own breakfast.  Probably sweet potato hash and eggs again.  I may try the coconut oil again, but yesterday the smell made me nauseous!  blech, talk about a way to put you off your food.  I am hoping the afternoon headache is better today.  I made a large pitcher of ice tea without sugar yesterday, and I plan to drink some of that today.  I know we Should swear off caffine, but there are only so many things I feel I can tackle at the same time.  :)  I will check in later I am sure.

It is so good to read that everyone is experiencing the same!.

I also realise how much mindless eating I do. Licking my fingers here and there, eating scraps or a bit of the kids food.

It is a good learning experience.

Thanks for the advice Amberino! I added about a cup of sautéed mushrooms and kale to my breakfast this morning. I'll work on increasing the protein as well - I'm finding it difficult to eat so much in the morning as I never ate breakfast before beginning the Whole 30!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hey Everyone!

I hope everyone is off to a great start this week! Yesterday, I tried so hard to start a caffeine holiday and ended up with a massive headache by noon. Bad idea. WORST.IDEA.EVER. I am a mom of 2 girls (11 & 5), a college student and my hubby is deployed. *sigh*. So, to keep me from being grouchy all day, I had a cup of coffee blended with unsalted butter and coconut oil (I use to use this daily and then recently switched back to milk, but that is forbidden now). I have never been able to drink black coffee. Well, this morning I did! WHUT! WHUT! :D And, last night I successfully made Melissa Joulwan's mayo from her cookbook, Well Fed. I not a big mayo user, so I'm not sure how much or if I will even use it, but it's there if I do need it. 

Have great day!

Hey Everyone!

I hope everyone is off to a great start this week! Yesterday, I tried so hard to start a caffeine holiday and ended up with a massive headache by noon. Bad idea. WORST.IDEA.EVER. I am a mom of 2 girls (11 & 5), a college student and my hubby is deployed. *sigh*. So, to keep me from being grouchy all day, I had a cup of coffee blended with unsalted butter and coconut oil (I use to use this daily and then recently switched back to milk, but that is forbidden now). I have never been able to drink black coffee. Well, this morning I did! WHUT! WHUT! :D And, last night I successfully made Melissa Joulwan's mayo from her cookbook, Well Fed. I not a big mayo user, so I'm not sure how much or if I will even use it, but it's there if I do need it.

Have great day!

Coffee withdrawals can be terrible - could you try having less each day and wean yourself off it? also, you're right about milk being out, but unless you clarified your butter, unfortunately you can't use that either! Clarified butter or ghee works in exactly the same way and is compliant :)

The mayo is amazing - we use home made mayo on nearly everything! Delicious :)

Coffee withdrawals can be terrible - could you try having less each day and wean yourself off it? also, you're right about milk being out, but unless you clarified your butter, unfortunately you can't use that either! Clarified butter or ghee works in exactly the same way and is compliant :)

The mayo is amazing - we use home made mayo on nearly everything! Delicious :)

I only drink 1-2 cups/day. How do I know if it is clarified? We only use Kerrygold. And the mayo...I made creamy cucumbers with my breakfast this morning of left over Bora Bora Fireballs (my favorite!) and it was so good!

I only drink 1-2 cups/day. How do I know if it is clarified? We only use Kerrygold. And the mayo...I made creamy cucumbers with my breakfast this morning of left over Bora Bora Fireballs (my favorite!) and it was so good!

You would know it is clarified. It would say so on the packet and it looks completely different from ordinary butter.

So your Kerrygold would be out. 

I am actually clarifying some butter right now, bought organic butter (recommended) and it is bubbling away now.

You do not have to have a coffee holiday on the Whole30 though. I can only have three cups in the morning, which I am having and enjoying :-) I drink black so no issue there. You are saying you cannot drink black, try a more expensive (higher quality) coffee and play with the strength. 

Hey Everyone!

I hope everyone is off to a great start this week! Yesterday, I tried so hard to start a caffeine holiday and ended up with a massive headache by noon. Bad idea. WORST.IDEA.EVER. I am a mom of 2 girls (11 & 5), a college student and my hubby is deployed. *sigh*. So, to keep me from being grouchy all day, I had a cup of coffee blended with unsalted butter and coconut oil (I use to use this daily and then recently switched back to milk, but that is forbidden now). I have never been able to drink black coffee. Well, this morning I did! WHUT! WHUT! :D And, last night I successfully made Melissa Joulwan's mayo from her cookbook, Well Fed. I not a big mayo user, so I'm not sure how much or if I will even use it, but it's there if I do need it. 

Have great day!

I like a splash of just plain from the  can coconut milk in my coffee.  I kind of wish I would have done a caffeine purge too but I like my one cup in the morning :)

Archived