Anyone downtown Chicago giving a whole 30 a whirl right now?

notkevinmyrick

I have just accepted a position downtown I am located in River North.  I am finding it difficult to dial in a whole30 compliant habit here (there is SO much good food and restaurants everywhere!)  Just want to put my foot out and introduce myself to anyone who might be in the area who is pursuing this program and want to successfully get through the program, and maybe offer some tips. 

Hey - I am on day 3 of Whole 30 and I work in the loop.  I did my first whole 30 in Feb and attempted another in April and made it 26 days...I know, lame right?!?!  Anyway on the journey again so I can sleep better a lose the last annoying 10-15 pounds!  (Really I would like this to be a lifestyle change and stay paleo after the 30 days or I may go 60 haven't decided yet.  It's hard to stay away from the tempting restaurants and food but I've found that there really are whole30 meals almost everywhere.  Maybe not grass fed meat but plenty of options....Did you start it yet, if so what day?

Hey Dawner,

I am on day 3 as well.  I have done whole 30's a couple times but numerous times I would mess up or an unexpected variable would slip into my system and I would have to reset.  I know I am just going through a transition right now and I will be able to get back into an exercise routine in time. As far as whole30 compliant meals everywhere...do you have some recommendations?  I have been going to Chipotle  alot and getting the only compliant meal there the carnitas mild salsa, medium w guacamole. I really want to dial this in because I haven't been able to work out and well I hope the squeaky clean nutrition will help me get back on track and for my own well being. 

I actually bring my breakfast and lunch to work so I don't have to worry but if you go out for lunch you can go anywhere that has salad, 1/2 an avocado with some chicken in it.  I have a bottle of balsamic vinegar and use 1 T of that for dressing.  Otherwise if you can find a deli that has fresh lunch meat and have it wrapped in lettuce with veggies in it, Jimmy John's has a naked wrap but unsure of sugar in lunch meat, something to check out.  I just bring my food so I don't need to depend on that.  I have some amazing recipes that I depend on when doing the whole30, I will send to you if you want to give me your email address.  Just some great "Go-to's" for me...I like to cook tho too so that helps.  Let me know if I can help otherwise.  My workouts actually have been really good this week, key for me, so I keep my energy up is sweet potatoes and squashes, they give me energy so I don't feel depleted, I have one or both every day.  Keep it up, it's only 30 days, you can do it and you will feel so good that you may want to keep doing it or at least a version like I am trying to do this time :)  After 2-3 weeks I slept better, don't feel the need for coffee to wake up and no energy slumps throughout the day, it's good life!

Your really right, as we all know preparation is key.  I will have to start going to whole foods once a week and preparing some meals and bringing them to work.  No reason why I can't prepare, and make good food.  We have a nice kitchen area on every floor so I can bring all my food and store it in the fridge.

I really want to get through this, I remember how amazing I felt and looked completing the whole30. 

Send me an email [email protected] with your favorite go to's and we can keep communication via that. 

Next Month I will be getting my fitness routine back at the strength and conditioning gym at home.  So I will be waking up early in the morning to do that, so it sounds like I'm finally getting back on track.  Frustrating losing all the hard work and sacrifice you put in!  I think I really will be able to make the commitment and get through it this time if I had whole30 compliant buddy!

Hey all! I'm in the Loop and spend a lot of time in River North. I'm on day 2 of my first Whole30 but did a lot of research on Chicago restaurants that would be compliant before starting. Here are some of my best finds:

-Mixed Greens on Erie and Franklin. They do make your own salads so you can choose exactly what works for you.

-Beatrix. The new restaurant in aloft hotel on Clark and Illinois. I just had lunch there today and they have an amazing salad called the Emerald City salad that is totally complaint.

-Farmhouse Tavern on Wells and Chicago. Only grass fed beef, and they'll make it in whatever oil/grill combo you want.

Hope that helps. I'd love to have a Chicago accountability group if you all are interested!

Archived