I don't get it.... I'm Hungry

Hi All,

I'm technically not on a whole 30 right now, but living by whole 9 rules.  I am at this point debating to start eating a mini meal.  Here's the problem:

I have been pretty much eating the same amounts of food for the last year and I haven't had a huge problem with hunger in the afternoon.  But for the last 2 - 3 weeks come 4 o'clock I am famished!  I have tried to add more onto my meal 1 and 2 but I'm generally already stuffed.  But come 4 pm I am hungry again!

I'm not terribly active, I do try and do something active twice a week.  Sometimes it's more intense than others. I have a desk job.  And although I wasn't doing this initially for weight loss, the weight loss success I did have has stalled.  I have chalked that up to possibly needing to add some more intense excersise.  But now I'm wondering..... Do I need to eat more in order to start losing again?

I am a 5' 9", 225lb (down from 255), 37 yo woman.  I have a pretty large bone structure (example: I lost 30lbs and am only down 1 dress size)

Here's and example of what I eat:

Yesterday

Meal 1: 2 eggs cooked omelete style in CO, 1 cup and a half of steamed broccoli drizzled with EVOO.  Strawberries

Kept me full until 11:30

Meal 2: Mixed Green Salad with canned tuna in oil, Tessemae's dressing, baby carrots dipped in almond butter/mayo/coconut amino mix.  Apple. a couple of date rolls (I know - sugar bombs)

Super Hungry at 4 pm.  Didn't eat until 7:45.

Meal 3: 3" Lamb Kefta meat ball, marinara sauce, spaghetti squash, grapes

evening snack: Peach

Today

Meal 1: 2 eggs + 3/4 cup of shredded sweet potato cooked in CO.  (This was a little on the light side.  I could have eaten more I think) Strawberries

Meal 2: 3" Lamb Kefta meat ball, marinara sauce, spaghetti squash, peach, 2 date rolls (they're finished now thank goodness.)

It's 5 pm now and I'm absolutely famished. 

So because I would like to continue to loose weight I'm kind of scared of adding more food in.  Especially since I did so well this past year.

I have started drinking more as well, knowing that I wasn't drinking enough previously.  But still hasn't helped.

Ideas?

woah. I'm a bit smaller than you but I eat a LOT more than you...and I find the more I lose, the more active I am (whether consciously or not) the more I need to eat. I totally hear you on the fear that more food might mean weight loss stalls, but so far this has not been the case for me at all. Try to eat enough that you don't feel hungry (or maybe only right before a meal time) and so you feel good steady energy throughout the day. Don't worry if the amount of food changes over time (it will). Sometimes I find I need more for a couple days and then I don't seem to anymore...not sure if that might be cycle related, but anyway: don't be famished. EAT.

ps. I don't know if these days are representative, but I would try to add a lot more of the non-starchy veg. You need the starchy ones that you've got, but I really think part of my success has been making sure my body has ALL the nutrients, so leafy greens, peppers, broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, etc. etc....

I would eat more, especially at breakfast.  I find if I have a solid breakfast with sufficient protein and fat, then it sets me up for the rest of the day.  I know you say you're full, but can you drop the fruit at meal 1 and add one more egg or other protein and a little more fat?  Also meal 3 yesterday and meal 2 today had no fat.  Start there and see if that helps.  If you're still hungry, then add a mini-meal. 

2 eggs? Girl i'm 5"2' and i can hold 4 large eggs in one hand, and no i don't have creepy huge hands. I would either up the egg count or add another source of protein for breakfast. Maybe also cut back on fruit a little too? But deffinately eat more protein for breakfast

• Moderators

Bigger breakfast for sure and, as others have said, more food overall. Your metabolism slows when you eat very little, making weight loss slow and irregular.

Eating fruit and date rolls may provoke hunger. Sugar makes some people hungry faster. By reducing how much fruit as well as other sources of sugar you consume may help you remain satisfied longer. But don't just cut the fruit. Add more eggs, meat, and veggies.

Thanks for the imput!  I will add more protein for breakfast but earlier this week I tried 3 eggs and I just couldn't finish them.  This is before the fruit.  Which I didn't eat that morning.  But it was okay as it became a midday snack later. :)

Yeah I really suspected my date rolls were doing me no favours.  Those little evil things are finished now.  They were starting to become food without brakes.  And fruit snacking has been a little too frequent as of late.  So I will take them out of my morning meal.

I have never ate a lot.  This has always puzzled most people (as well as myself) simply because of my size.  In fact I am eating more now than I ever have in my life.  So maybe there is a lot more repair that needs to be done....

Like everyone else, I think you need to eat more! Maybe your body is even asking for nutrients to help you lose weight. I know being overweight puts a lot of stress on the body so I don't think it's unreasonable to guess that your body might need some extra nutrition to "recover" from that stress.

Bear in mind that I have no scientific basis for this, so it could be totally off. But I still don't think that satisfying a real hunger (as opposed to emotional hunger) is ever bad for you.

This morning we did 5 eggs (split between 2 people), with 1/2 a grated sweet potato (It was quite a large SP) cooked in CO.  I also added a generous serving of homemade mayo.  I added about 1 cup of brussel sprouts drizzled with EVOO to my meal.  I couldn't finish it.  I was stuffed. So leftovers were packed away for my emergency mini meal if I need it later.

Lunch will be 1 cup of broccoli with a chicken leg & 1 thigh, with some homemade chicken dripping gravy, plus a salad, 10 olives, and 1 peach.  I'm hopping this will help.

I'm puzzled as everyone here is saying I need to eat more (which honestly makes sense in the circumstances) but I'm simply too stuffed to eat more.  So I think I need to add a mini meal (if need be) to make things work.

If you have a history with not eating a lot it will probably take your body a while to adjust to eating more which might be exactly why after a year of this you are experiencing more hunger. Your hormones and your body are getting more adjusted. If you simply can not eat more than you are at meals than I think making the meals the size you should eat, eating what you can, and saving the leftovers for the next time you feel hungry is an excellent idea. This way you are trying to eat the template each time and you have the food leftover for when you get hungry again. 3 template sized meals spread out with your hunger cues may eventually turn into 3 template sized meals. And I definitely think cutting back on the fruit and the starchy vegetables a bit will help. 

As others have said I'm smaller than you and eat a lot more...but I'm coming from a history of chronic binging and overeating not chronic undereating so my challenge has been to continually adjust down as my body needs where you will need to continuously adjust up as we both heal our broken metabolisms. 

Hmmm now that I  think of it, I have less issues recently when I eat broccoli or sprouts in the morning than if it is sweet potato.  Initially I felt I needed the sweet potato to keep me going.  But I guess I don't need it anymore.

This mornings meal was huge (for me anyway) 1.5 full sized smoked sausages (they weren't compliant as they had sugar) 1 egg + brussel sprouts.  Gave in a little to fruit and had a very small slice of watermelon.  (More of a palate cleasner I think).  This held me to 12:30 (excellent!)

Archived