Question about lunch?

Caro110

My family and I are planning on starting the Whole30 this Saturday, but I have a question about lunch...

See, we work nights [family-owned cleaning company] and don't usually wake up until 1pm. We are used to eating a light breakfast usually a smoothie or oatmeal and then eating dinner around 6 - 6:30pm. 

Is it completely necessary to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner on the Whole30? Would we be okay getting by with some veggies and nuts in between breakfast and dinner?

I'm just wondering how, if at all, our schedule is going to affect this.

Thanks for any insight :)

Timing would depend on your schedule, but yes you'd have 3 proper meals - one or two (depending on start time) during your work hours

Perhaps meal 1 at 1:30/2, meal 2 at 6:30, meal 3 10:30/11.

There are a few threads around about meal timing for people who do night shift - perhaps have a search :)

Do 3 evenly-spaced meals from when you wake up to when you go to bed. If you're up working from, say, 1300 to 0100/whatever, do meal 1 at 1300, meal 2 1800-1900-ish, meal 3 whenever you get off work. 

Eating like that does help adjust your schedule to an afternoon/evening timeframe. I was on that type of schedule a few years ago and I did breakfast around noon, lunch around 1800/1900 or so, and dinner when I was done at night (usually 0100 or so). I was the only person on that schedule who wasn't exhausted all night.

Hmm, interesting. Guess we're going to have to adjust our schedule a bit. If we're not physically cleaning a job, we're in the car driving to the next one so we don't have a lot of down time while working and honestly, we've programmed ourselves not to eat at night because it was unhealthy nibbling in the free-for-all candy dishes at the jobs.

Thanks for the input. Gonna have to see how this pans out for us exactly :)

Archived