Starting Whole30 during marathon training?

Martynrunner

Hi

I'm new here and am enjoying reading about Whole30. My question is whether to start the programme during my marathon training? It is on Nov 3rd this year and will be my first. However I'm currently struggling to stop my ankle from flaring up and am thinking that I should start to watch what I'm eating. It's a common story - I am completely addicted to sugar.

I am not overweight. Far from it. However, I do struggle with digestive issues from carb-loading and suffer gastro-intenstinal distress. I know it's the bad food doing this and I know that the food being promoted here is the way forward. My worry however, is starting it now when I need to maintain my training and up the intensity. Did anyone else do something similar? If so I'd be grateful for your advice.

Thanks and here's to a happy discussion.

Martyn

I don't marathon but I do Crossfit at a competitive level.....

Eating w30 has almost totally reversed my arthritic knees and therefore can train/recover harder,faster,longer..... People talk about the " slump" or being tired " carb flu". I have experienced days of lower energy but its due to just not eating enough

If you follow the meal templates, eat post and pre WO meals religiously and most importantly eat plenty of starch veg ( sweet potato,plantain,squash) you should be golden

Any " slump that you feel will be greatly out weighted by the reduction of inflammation and other health benefits of w30

Paleo for athletes by dr Cordain has great recovery techniques for distance runners.... You can easily Taylor them to w30 lifestyle

I wouldn't start W30 if your race was in the next 2 weeks but you will be well and finished by race day so I say go for it. I am a runner and I experienced a slump the first 2 weeks I started a paleo eating plan but after that I was rewarded with much better performance and recovery. 2 weeks of slower than you like runs won't kill you in the long term. 

I wouldn't start W30 if your race was in the next 2 weeks but you will be well and finished by race day so I say go for it. I am a runner and I experienced a slump the first 2 weeks I started a paleo eating plan but after that I was rewarded with much better performance and recovery. 2 weeks of slower than you like runs won't kill you in the long term. 

Physibeth did you follow the Pre-WO and Post-WO eating guide? I seem to have missed that in my first few days. Not used to eating before running my short weekday runs, only my longer weekend runs. I'm on Day 8 and still no power in my legs.

Glad I'm not the only one whose slump lasted longer than a few days!

I generally run in the morning after breakfast as I live in an area that is mild most of the year so I don't strictly follow the pre/post-wo meals. If I can I eat my M1 and wait an hour and than run. When it has been hotter here I have had something closer to a pre-wo meal like fried eggs and bacon and gotten myself out earlier and than have my M1 (minus what I already ate unless it is a long run day) when I get back making sure that it includes starchy vegetables. On my long run days I usually end up eating closer to 4 meals.

From what I've read 14 days seems to be the average time it takes people to make the switch completely. 

Well, I have a half marathon at the end of the month. I thought trying this was a good finishing kick. But, I was so lethargic on my last run, with heavy legs, headaches, and dizziness that I pulled out by Day 5 so my training schedule wouldn't get messed up. I'll try this another time, maybe at the beginning of a training regimen, but definitely not something new here at the end.

And you really cannot compare CrossFit training with endurance running training. Two completely different types of workouts and energy demands.

• Moderators

Martyn,

A friend and I both coincidentally started the Whole30 during our Spring ultrarunning season. We both had fantastic results overall and loved the program, but our running fared quite differently during this time.

My experience(s) running while my body switched over to fat burning:

http://ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.com/2013/05/ultrarunning-and-fueling-on-whole30.html

(there are links to several posts on this topic within)

My friend's experience(s):

http://iseetrails.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/the-whole-30-and-beyond/ (again more links within the post)

Good luck!

I am also training for a 1/2 in Nov and doing Whole30, which will end up being a whole 60 + 2 weeks. I'm starting to worry about refueling during the race. I used GU for my last 1/2 at miles 4, 8 and 10. I'm concerned about using GU since the ingredients in GU will have been eliminated out of my diet for 2 months and could really tear me up on the course. Any suggestions?

I ran a half marathon today with just water. I usually cut my water 50/50 with coconut water but forgot to buy it. Some people like to get organic baby food pouches. I've used mini lara bars before. I trained to run without extra fuel though so was fine. 

I ran a half marathon today with just water. I usually cut my water 50/50 with coconut water but forgot to buy it. Some people like to get organic baby food pouches. I've used mini lara bars before. I trained to run without extra fuel though so was fine. 

I am going to try the squeeze pouches of sweet potatoes. I have decided to run a test 1/2 next month in ATL not only to test the product out but to also gauge where I'm at both mentally and physically. 

I have done a sprint triathlon on day 6 with sweet potato baby food pouches and didnt have any problems. Have eaten a larbar pre race for an added boost. Used to do the gu also, swore by them, but no more! On my bike portion i fill my h2o bottles with 50/50 h20 and coconut h20. i eat a lite meal the night before with sweet potatoes as well. Should also mention i had wicked bad shin splints before starting W30, took the days 1-5 off completely from training to start diet and save my legs for the upcomming races. I have not felt an inkling of pain since! Next race is day 13 (tomorrow) and double the distance (olympic). Good luck with your races everyone!

I am currently training for my first full marathon that is next month and having been eating Paleo (majority of the time) since January 2013. I believe it has given me more strength, endurance and quicker recovery during my training.

I also have blog where I am blogging about my training and my whole30 that I am also currently doing.

http://onemotherofaday.com/

I have done a sprint triathlon on day 6 with sweet potato baby food pouches and didnt have any problems. Have eaten a larbar pre race for an added boost. Used to do the gu also, swore by them, but no more! On my bike portion i fill my h2o bottles with 50/50 h20 and coconut h20. i eat a lite meal the night before with sweet potatoes as well. Should also mention i had wicked bad shin splints before starting W30, took the days 1-5 off completely from training to start diet and save my legs for the upcomming races. I have not felt an inkling of pain since! Next race is day 13 (tomorrow) and double the distance (olympic). Good luck with your races everyone!

I have never thought of using baby food pouches as a different fuel choice! Will have to try that out!

I started w30 right after my half Iron.  But as I have a century ride and a half marathon coming up, my activity level didn't really drop a whole lot.  I had two weeks where my runs and rides felt like death marches, and then with no warning, one day I felt amazing!!

Apple juice is really high in potassium, and a bit of juice is ok on w30.  I make blends of apple juice and baby food sweet potatoes, and just chuck in a sprinkle of salt, and there you have it, Gatorade.

I'll also bring along dates if it's a longer run, and tend to bring homemade Larabars on rides.  Those baby food squeezy things are a nice idea but *SO* expensive, it's better to just add the plain containers to your water bottles.  It comes out fine from my Nathan and Camelbak water bottle lids.  But I wouldn't recommend making your own sweet potato puree, because the baby food stuff is really smooth and strained and hm seems to always be more fibrous.

What have you folks been doing as a pre-long run meal? I am in the midst of marathon training but have also started my second whole 30 because I feel as though it will help me train a little bit better if I pay more attention to what I am eating. I seem to be doing OK on making sure I am eating enough before shorter mid-week runs, but I am doing an 18 miler this weekend and I am a bit unsure as to what to eat before hand. My usual banana + almond butter or larabar is generally good (and Whole 30 compliant) but does anyone have any better suggestions?

Planning on fueling with a mix of coconut water/water as well as some dates, baby food pouches and maybe a lara bar if need be. 

Thanks!

yikkkess I just paid to start TOMORROW and my marathon is OCT 6th! but my food has been horrible so I was hoping to start this now and have more level energy levels than what ive been putting myself through. Thoughts on this? am I going to die during the marathon? also I am still not getting a clear answer on if we are supposed to eat a Pre and post WO meal/snack.. If I run 8 miles. do I need extra fuel? my last long run ,16 miles, is tomorrow then just shorter 5-10 mile runs till the race. like the above question.......what should I be eating for these pre and post wo meals , do I even need to with the 5-10 mile runs

Sorry for all the questions!

yikkkess I just paid to start TOMORROW and my marathon is OCT 6th! but my food has been horrible so I was hoping to start this now and have more level energy levels than what ive been putting myself through. Thoughts on this? am I going to die during the marathon? also I am still not getting a clear answer on if we are supposed to eat a Pre and post WO meal/snack.. If I run 8 miles. do I need extra fuel? my last long run ,16 miles, is tomorrow then just shorter 5-10 mile runs till the race. like the above question.......what should I be eating for these pre and post wo meals , do I even need to with the 5-10 mile runs

Sorry for all the questions!

You won't die during your marathon but I wouldn't go after a PR or anything. Aim to finish and don't kill yourself. Have some grace with yourself on your training runs.

I personally don't eat during my runs but I also did my one marathon in 2009 and swore off anything longer than a half until I was in much better shape. I do tend to run with a blend of water and coconut water especially for long runs or days that are hot.

How I fuel my training runs personally depends on some factors. I am strictly a morning runner. When I have time to fully digest I personally eat a low starch meal 1 wait at 30-45 minutes and then go for my run. Depending on the timing and the length of my run I will either eat a post wo snack (starchy veg/lean protein) or I will just have a larger meal 2 making sure I have starchy veggies. When I have to get out (long run/hot day) I will eat protein and fat before my run (usually 2 eggs and some bacon and coffee) and than have a proper meal 1 after. This all works for me. Generally speaking I don't follow the pre/post exactly as laid out because I find it causes more digestive stress for me. I would experiment and see what works for you. I definitely allow myself to eat more food on my really hard workout days.

There are tons of threads on here about fueling for runs I would go through them, gather a few ideas and try them and see what works for you. 

You won't die during your marathon but I wouldn't go after a PR or anything. Aim to finish and don't kill yourself. Have some grace with yourself on your training runs.

I personally don't eat during my runs but I also did my one marathon in 2009 and swore off anything longer than a half until I was in much better shape. I do tend to run with a blend of water and coconut water especially for long runs or days that are hot.

How I fuel my training runs personally depends on some factors. I am strictly a morning runner. When I have time to fully digest I personally eat a low starch meal 1 wait at 30-45 minutes and then go for my run. Depending on the timing and the length of my run I will either eat a post wo snack (starchy veg/lean protein) or I will just have a larger meal 2 making sure I have starchy veggies. When I have to get out (long run/hot day) I will eat protein and fat before my run (usually 2 eggs and some bacon and coffee) and than have a proper meal 1 after. This all works for me. Generally speaking I don't follow the pre/post exactly as laid out because I find it causes more digestive stress for me. I would experiment and see what works for you. I definitely allow myself to eat more food on my really hard workout days.

There are tons of threads on here about fueling for runs I would go through them, gather a few ideas and try them and see what works for you. 

I think you can adjust your start date.

I do have weight issues.  I was training for my first IronMan and blew my shoulder apart during a master's swim class.  I ruptured all four rotator cuff tendons, and severed a bicep tendon.  The stress of training, stopping so suddenly, and this huge surgery/recovery has put me up 25 pounds in the last six months.  I am just getting the clearance to workout in the last few days.  I have been walking and running. My goal is a half marathon on Dec 1st.  My running isn't great.  I am certainly not an athlete of the caliber posting here.  But I have participated in many sprint/Oly tri's, and half marathons.  I have much to gain from the Whole30.  

I have a 10 k in Vegas with friends next weekend.  This lines up very nicely with my training schedule for the half.  With the weight gain and inflammatory issues I am having a horrible time with my running.  It is certainly not the slow steady consistent run that I am used to.  I am fighting to get that back.  

So I started my Whole30 on Sept 8th.  I am on day 14.  I feel good, but no "tiger blood".  I am at my husband's half iron distance right now.  I need to fit a six mile run/walk in today.  I am hoping to feel some increase in energy soon!  

Good luck with your whole30.  I think it can be done while training.  

• 5 weeks later...

Well guys I did it. I guess I´ve had mixed results - my running stats are up but that could also be down to the extra training. However, I´ve definitely been injury free, which is something I wasn´t expecting and my energy levels are pretty good. Big up to this way of eating.

But...I woke up this morning and my throat was on fire. I think I caught a bug from my son and while I did my 2 hour LSR yesterday I started to get a bit dizzy. This morning - ouch. Razors in the throat.

It´s two weeks to the marathon and having avoided injury or illness so far, I was feeling really positive. Now I´m wondering whether I need the dreaded antibiotics.

Does anyone have any tips?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived