Question about Bubbies Pickles

ready4chg

I have searched, but didn't find this mentioned anywhere else. If I missed it I apologize. I am almost finished with a jar of Bubbies pickles, and I had a question. If I slice cucumbers and put them in the jar once the pickles are gone will the "new" pickles have that fermented effect? If reusing the juice is possible any suggestions on how long they need to sit before eating, etc? I know you can make your own, but if this is like a "starter" I am good with that. I don't really want to make my own, but I don't really want to pay $8 for another jar either. All suggestions, ideas, etc are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! 

You'd probably need to make a fresh brine & then add a little pickle juice as a "starter". I did some cucumbers with just salt & dill, & they were ready after about 4 days at room temperature. If you're using a starter they might be ready quicker, but there's nothing to stop you tasting during the process :)

• Moderators

I think the Bubbie's juice would work for refrigerator pickles. Let the fresh cucumber soak for a week and then bite one end and see if it has some bite. 

When I make my own pickles, I bring my brine solution to a simmer with the cucumber slices in it and then transfer everything to the refrigerator to sit for a few days before starting to eat them. 

You might actually get fermentation if you let things sit at room temperature as Roz suggests, but my past fermentation experiments have not done well - never tried pickles.

You'd probably need to make a fresh brine & then add a little pickle juice as a "starter". I did some cucumbers with just salt & dill, & they were ready after about 4 days at room temperature. If you're using a starter they might be ready quicker, but there's nothing to stop you tasting during the process :)

4 days? I really need to test mine tonight...they have been sitting for more than a week.

Depends how strong you like them ;)

Well I did grow up on Long Island so I like mine pretty strong. I had a dream last night that I bit into one and it still just tasted like cucumber. Will try them tonight. If they are ready I'll have to make some room in my fridge.

Thanks for the responses guys! So, if I just put new cucumbers in my old Bubbies jar w/ original liquid and put in fridge to soak to taste then I won't have any fermentation? Still a little confused on that. Either way, they are yummy, and I will probably do that. Just curious. Thanks again! 

Thanks for the responses guys! So, if I just put new cucumbers in my old Bubbies jar w/ original liquid and put in fridge to soak to taste then I won't have any fermentation? Still a little confused on that. Either way, they are yummy, and I will probably do that. Just curious. Thanks again!

You won't have real fermentation, but you will have yummy pickles and depending on the size, they will be ready in a couple of days. If you google "Alton Brown fermented pickle recipe", you will find his recipe clear and fairly easy sounding. I didn't like the sound of "skimming the floating scum", but I may try making them. Mark Sisson also has a recipe for fermented pickles.

Archived