Post Whole 30 Adventure

almcc

More food news from today...

Lunch - 2 homemade maple breakfast sausages, kale & apples sauteed in butter with pecan nuts. Ate a few cherries after. Seriously tasty stuff, but i think the amount of fruit probably contributed to me being hungry again not long after  :rolleyes:

Snack (c.4pm) - peach, smoked pork & elk sausage. Then some toasted coconut flakes a la Well Fed - these ones with ras-el-hanout  :wub:

Dinner (in the slow cooker now!) - sweet & savoury meatballs, courgette noodles

Made up for any lack of snacking yesterday  ;) I think the combination of fruit at lunch plus the smells of dinner bubbling away in the slow cooker all afternoon contributed! Found myself getting a bit KATT around 5pm during a very needlessly confusing 3-way conversation with my OH & his brother (who was on the phone). One of those. Pah. Early night required tonight!  -_-

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya

Roz- what a tiger blood day you had! What kind of jobs are you applying for? And what is KATT???

Yesterday I felt pooky and then I was so behind in making jewelry for the market today - I really had to push through. But I did. I didn't eat much for dinner though.

Today was a great day. I'm wiped but I managed to cook a great chicken tonight.

Today I had

1: butternut squash, prosciutto, eggs

2: butternut squash, prosciutto

3: salad, guac, peppers and onions, pork, salsa

4: chicken, squash, tomatoes, olives, mayo, apples with ghee, cm, and cinnamon

Happy eating!!

KATT is Kill All The Things :D Over it this morning, the sun's out!

I'm applying for random part time jobs :lol: I used to work in an office, then stopped to have babies, until last year when i got a p/t job cleaning at a local pub. I realised i don't really want sedentary work again, i enjoy that i walk to work, & i enjoy being on the move while I'm there. So I'm mostly looking at more cleaning stuff. The job I'm in is only 3 mornings a week, April to October, & now both my li'l darlings are at school all day I've got a bit more time. Must keep busy! Plus i need to fund my Paleo cookbook habit :ph34r:

I must Must get back on the exercise bandwagon this week! I've been getting daily emails from Bodeefit for a while, but never acted on them, now I've found they have a smartphone app, so I've installed that... Today is Sunday Funday apparently :blink:

So far foodwise today -

Breakfast - pulled pork, kale, onions, cranberries & cashews (from mod Tom Denham's site) - tasty!

More good food today -

Lunch - bacon, homemade maple sausages, shredded sweet potato, apples & pecans (seriously delicious!)

Snack (not really hungry tbh) - some pork rinds

Dinner - chocolate chili, roast butternut squash, cauliflower rice, fermented salsa & homemade mayo. If you've never tried chili with a dollop of mayo, i can highly recommend it :wub:

Drank a few glasses of beet kvass throughout the day, that stuff's growing on me. I've put another batch on to brew :) My kitchen's starting to look like a laboratory :lol:

Hope you've had a good day too :)

Hi.

I did not have a good day yesterday. Meals 1 and 2 were great. Compliant and yum. But by mid afternoon I was hungry and stressed and out of the house. I snacked - not too bad - good potato chips. But last night was my dd's birthday. The dh and I went to her college and took her and 4 friends out to dinner. I went totally off road. And then I was so mad at my self - I ate cookies at home last night. Phooey. I think if I had just decided in advance to eat off road at dinner I would not have gone overboard. Have to work on that and what to eat when I'm stressed.

Today I am back to eating 100% compliantly for lat least a week. Made a big batch of ground meat, sp, and kale this morning. Will go shopping later for some brisket and chicken thighs. Cooked food in the fridge.

Roz- besides the beyond bacon cookbook what others do you like?

Happy eating!!!

He enjoyed himself immensely, although he didn't eat anything all day  :o I'm hoping after a few days he'll realise that the school dinners are actually ok!

Food today - 

Breakfast - shredded sweet potato, bacon, apples & pecans, pulled pork

Lunch - pak choi, spaghetti squash, beef & pork mince & mayo (whoever it was on this forum who suggested putting mayo on mince, i salute you!)

Snack - paleo brownie-in-a-mug  :unsure: , smoked sausage

Dinner (still to come!) - "Better" butter chicken & either cauliflower rice or kale. Possibly both...

As you can see, i had a bit of a moment this afternoon & caved in to my brain's demands for chocolate. I didn't really enjoy it that much. Plus i felt really really sleepy an hour or so later (hence the sausages!). I think i'm coming down with a bit of a cold. Or maybe i have a snotty nose due to the chocolate (deja vu!). I'll learn one day  :rolleyes:

This is my embarrassingly comprehensive cookbook collection... plus i have a couple of new ones since i took the picture! I'm liking "The Paleo Primer", probably because it's written by a couple of Brits & the recipes are a bit different to the norm (mmm, bangers & mash), and i love Well Fed of course (my copy is well-spattered with mayonnaise  :D ). 

1150303_594112380638970_304477820_n.jpg

Roz - I love all your books. Mr well fed is very loved. I just ordered paleo primer. Should be here soon. :) So glad your son enjoyed his first day. And I hope he ate today.

I had an ok day yesterday. Great meal 1 and 2. Ground beef, eggs, sp, and kale for both. Then I ended up going out after a meeting at 8pm. Was ravenous. The only thing that was almost ok were fries. I know I tolerate them so I had that.

Today I am almost feeling good. I know it'll take a few more days/weeks. I'm patient. This morning I had ground beef, kale, sp, and banana plus bp coffee. I'm off to the store to buy brisket and chicken thighs.

Have a great day.

Not a bad day today, though i definitely have a cold. Or i'm reacting to yesterday's chocolate still. Or both. Or maybe i wanted chocolate because i was coming down with a cold. Who knows!  :rolleyes:

Breakfast - mince, kale & blackberry balsamic dressing

Snack - mug of chicken broth with added seaweed salt

Lunch - bacon, pulled pork, grated sweet potato, apples & pecans

Snack - small handful of mcadamias

Dinner - pork chops with apricot & apple, broccoli, sugar snap peas & mashed swede. Few pork rinds after.

I feel sort of munchy & in need of comfort food. I'd like some soup, but all i have is frozen solid & i bet if i take it out to defrost now i'll be feeling fine tomorrow  :P Oh well. I've decided to give kickboxing a miss tonight & have an early night instead.

DS had another great day at school - "we went to the LIBRARY!!" - but still didn't eat anything. I had a chat with his teachers & we've agreed to carry on trying - he probably wouldn't eat a packed lunch either tbh - and hope he caves in eventually. Part of me wants to seize this opportunity & start sending him off with a beautifully crafted lunchbox of homemade jerky & egg muffins, but i'm not sure that would work either. He likes garlic bread, dry cereal & fries  :rolleyes: That's him in my profile pic, catching up on some reading  ;)

Hope your days keep getting better!  :)

Not such a good day today  :wacko: Still got a cold. Ate inadvisable things in the afternoon  :ph34r:

Breakfast - mince, kale, mayonnaise & sauerkraut

Snack - mini salami

Lunch - pulled pork, shredded sweet potato, apples & pecans. A peach.

Snack - dark chocolate Hobnob 

Snack (i use the term loosely!) - large bag of chocolate buttons

Dinner (soon!) - pork belly carnitas, cumin-roasted carrots, Romanesco cauliflower

I didn't deal with my cravings very well today as you can see  :rolleyes: Will do better tomorrow!

In other news, DS actually ate some bread at school lunch - yay  :lol: Now if i can just get him eating meat...!

Roz,  I was reading through the posts and thinking how impressively diverse your meals sound and then I saw your photos of the cookbooks - no wonder!  We only have two books and we're ready for more, but I'm trying not to spend money.  Maybe next time I can get to the used book store I'll luck out and see one at half off.

Almcc - What a drag about the reaction to sushi.  It's one of the things I think I can eat without problems and I've been thankful for that.  I wonder if they did use a gluten based vinegar to gel the rice together - sneaky how that stuff gets into foods.

I'm trying to work on another Whole30 - no tiger blood for me, but I'm also feeling better than I was when I was straying into the SAD land.  

Yeah, i'm a bit of a cookbook freak  :D I fish a lot of recipes from the net as well, just think of a dish you'd like, prefix it with the word "paleo" & let Google do the rest!

Food so far today...

Breakfast - carnitas, shredded sweet potato, apples & pecans

Lunch - sweet & savoury meatballs, courgette noodles

Snack - a great deal of "free from" Belgian chocolate tiffin  :wacko:

I'm not doing very well at the moment. I hope normal service to be resumed shortly  :ph34r:

I had to google courgette - it sounds so much snazzier than zucchini!  Also reminds me that we haven't had any in quite a while and that might be something to have tonight or tomorrow.  Belgian chocolate sounds good too, but I had to google the tiffin part - oh my - that sounds a bit dangerous!  Dangerous and delicious.  

Hi All,

Paleo Primer arrived.  I am going to try something new this weekend.  Roz - any favorites?

The last few days have been a rollercoaster ride.  My mom moved from one nursing home to another and there have been issues. Things haven't settled down yet - but they will.  I have done pretty good - I am actually proud of myself.   :P  I had one day where I only ate 2 meals and one day when I snacked on potato chips and larabars but also had 2 compliant meals that day.  So not bad considering my previous responses to stress have been horrible!!!

Roz - I hope normal service has returned today. :)   And that your son has expanded what he will eat at school. :) 

EandK Family - I agree - that stuff is hidden everywhere.  It took months for me to have tiger blood.  In the last 2 weeks I have only napped 2-3 times.  Which I am calling tiger blood!! :D  How far are you into this Whole 30?

I am off to have meal 1.  Have a great day!

I'm making the bearneise sauce & garlic fries with steak recipe for tonight - mmm, steak... :P

I am not quite back on normal service yet. The Chocolate Demon still has a hold :ph34r: I think i need a distraction... This past week has been weird as my youngest started school full time & I'm finding my feet (he's settled fine :lol:). I'm struggling to find the motivation for at-home exercise, so I'm considering joining a CrossFit box. Pricey, but i should save a bit on junk food ;) We did a really tough workout at bootcamp last night & i swear i could feel every bit of sugar I'd ingested sapping the life from my arms :lol: Think kryptonite...

almcc - We (the kids and I) are on Day 19.  Wow.  It's good to hear about your definition of tiger blood and to know that not everyone is super person!  I'm certainly feeling more productive and settled the last few days and I'm getting things done for work and home, but I also know that, while my work load is higher, the stress of getting things up and going, is now in the past.  

I did sleep fairly well last night and did wake up this morning thinking I was okay without coffee.  I made some, of course, but I didn't need it the same way as normal and I liked that I felt better in the morning.

Roz - At home exercise is rough.  I did it last year when I was super motivated and making myself the focus (and trying to lose a bunch of super fat), but now I just don't do it!   It's hard to fit it in with everything else and to go from regular home energy to exercise energy.  I like just showing up at a class and letting the energy of the group get mine going.  (However, I haven't been frequenting any gyms so I'm not one to talk!  :) ) I think I'd join a CrossFit thing if we had one because it sounds kinda fun in a crazy kind of way.  Love your words about sugar being sapped from your arms!

Wow, I'm like a bear with a sore head this morning! My throat hurts, my nose is stuffy, my arms, back & neck hurt... Those last few would be the result of Friday's bootcamp, the first 2 down to chocolate consumption. I used to get this a lot, my mum always said i was prone to catching colds. But the more i tackle whole30s, the more I'm realising that I'm more likely intolerant to chocolate, my lifelong favourite substance :( I was reading up on intolerances last year & you often most crave the things you're intolerant to. Duh. So I'm in a bit of a funk really, i've got 3 tiny chocolate puddings left in the fridge (quality ones made with double cream!) & i can't bring myself to bin them... I'll eat them later & feel worse tomorrow, then i need to pull myself together. I've done the denial stage, now I'm in the depressed stage :rolleyes: Hope i reach acceptance soon!!

Yesterday's food...

Breakfast - pulled pork, sweet potato & spinach

Snack - mini salami

Lunch (we were out with family) - chicken breast skewer & a large salad

Snack - 3 "free from" chocolate bars

Dinner - sirloin steak, sweet potato, broccoli & romanesco cauliflower, bearnaise sauce. A few cherries after

Slept deeply but in patches as my back & neck are so stiff i have to wake up fully to change position :rolleyes:

Today so far...

Breakfast - braised hearts & kale, glass of beet kvass

Snack - mug of beef broth

My good friend is visiting today with her daughter, so that'll be the usual yin/yang combo of a nice chat over a cup of tea over the backdrop of our kids fighting :lol: Maybe just this once they'll play nicely...!

EandK - i think you hit the nail right on the head with the home energy/exercise energy comment! I used to run 5 days a week, but i guess even that was an out-of-house thing. I'll have to work something out.

Hope you all had a good weekend! :)

I've seen romanesco cauliflower on Chopped, but haven't seen it in person, despite having asked the manager of our awesome produce market to try to get some.  I'd love to try it, it's so cool and fractal looking.  Does it taste different from regular cauliflower?

Hi all,

I have to say that I am grateful that it is a new day and I can start again. Yesterday wasn't so bad - except for the potato chips for lunch. Luckily (?) they made me bloat up and I was paying attention this time. So now they are in the bin. I will learn eventually.

This is what I ate

1: eggs, homemade sausage, sp

2: potato chips

3: chicken, tomatoes, carrots, olives, guac

snack: coconut butter and banana

Today:

1: eggs, homemade sausage, sp

2: chicken, tomatoes, carrots, olives, guac

3: sole, salad, some other veg

snack: coconut butter and banana

Happy eating!!

I'm glad for a new day tomorrow too!

Lunch - minced lamb & roasted mediterranean veggies, kale, pine nuts. 3 little chocolate puddings. Horrible groggy nap.

Snack - handful of macadamias (not that nice) & half a bag of vegetable crisps (chips?)

Dinner (to come) - honey mustard chicken thighs (in the slow cooker & i hope they taste better than they smell  :unsure: - don't you just hate when that happens?!). Not sure what veg yet. Probably carrots, i've got hundreds of carrots  :D

It seems, in spite of my expansive cook book selection, i'm kinda fed up with food at the minute. I'm not fed up with paleo food as such, i've no desire to fall into a dish of pasta or anything, i'm just fed up of ALL food & i don't know what to eat anymore... I'm hungry, i just can't be bothered  :rolleyes: I suspect this is also sugar-related, my mood tends to drop slowly the more sugar i eat, i don't really notice it happening. But now i have! Result! Back on it! Tomorrow is a new day. No more sugar. Find some exercise i like & will stick to. Get a grip. Begin again  ^_^

Happy eating everyone!

Roz - I get fed up with food too.  I have a go to meal when I am like that.  Like last night - dh had lovely leftover brisket with cauli and carrots.  It sounded horrible to me.  So I had my go to meal: a meat of some kind (usually cold - in this case chicken thigh), olives, guac, raw carrots, and tomatoes. I will eat that as often as I need to. 

I hope that chicken tastes better than you think it will!! 

Happy Eating.

Roz - Interesting that you can see how your mood drops with the increase in sugar.  I wonder how many others of us experience that and don't even know it.  And yes, thankfully tomorrow is a new day of starting anew!  I'm quite thankful for that.  The sugar bug is a rough one.  I remember on my second whole thirty I ate the coconut cream out of the jar - not my best move, but it seemed to help get me through a seriously rough patch.  I didn't feel that desire this time around, but I've been making sure to eat a substantial amount.  I hope your crock pot food comes out tasting better than it smells - it is the pits to be disappointed with the meal.  

Almcc - A chicken thigh sounds quite nice!  I'd eat that with a bunch of baby carrots (and then I'd probably go back and pull more chicken out of the fridge  :) )

The chicken was better than it smelt! Not great, but not bad. I had some for breakfast too. Still a couple of helpings left... Probably won't make it again though! :unsure:

Today is (once again) my Day 1 - not strictly a whole30, as I'm allowing alcohol in cooking, a little honey in savoury dishes (no baking!!) & not sweating a little added sugar (e.g. in salami or bacon etc). Here we go!

Archived